Bicicouture

Credit Card Slot Punch For Wallets?

Hello!

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a credit card slot punch? I usually punch two small holes then cut across to make card slots in wallets. I was thinking it would be much easier and precise if there was a punch that did this instead.

Yes they do make such punches, a quick search on eBay will yield many results. However they always looked to be cheaply made so I never bought one. If you do, let us know how it works for you.

For all the wallets I've made, the small holes and connect the dots method is still my favorite.

If you do a quick search of the forum you will find some threads about this topic, including one person who made their own by stacking razor blades between wooden blocks, then cutting out the small pieces that remained. Don't recall who and to be honest I am handicapped when it comes to our forums search tool. ;)

I ran into the same problem when making a simple one piece wallet. I had texas custom die make a long oblong bag punch about 3-1/4 inches wide that makes a clean professional looking slot.

Yes they do make such punches, a quick search on eBay will yield many results. However they always looked to be cheaply made so I never bought one. If you do, let us know how it works for you.

For all the wallets I've made, the small holes and connect the dots method is still my favorite.

If you do a quick search of the forum you will find some threads about this topic, including one person who made their own by stacking razor blades between wooden blocks, then cutting out the small pieces that remained. Don't recall who and to be honest I am handicapped when it comes to our forums search tool. ;)

Thank you for the reply! I have tried searching on ebay but have had no luck. Is there a specific name for this punch? I was searching card slot punch leather.

I ran into the same problem when making a simple one piece wallet. I had texas custom die make a long oblong bag punch about 3-1/4 inches wide that makes a clean professional looking slot.

Thanks! Yeah, i was looking into possibly having a custom one made as I've had no luck finding one.

Here's the thread Stephenpuhakish was thinking of: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56473

About 2/3 down the page electrathon posted the die he made using razor blades. It's pretty cool!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311024933438

Managed to find a few, getting just the right combination of search terms was key ;)

"Wallet card punch" will pull up at least a half dozen if not more.

And thanks Bob, I really am search tool handicapped. And it seems electrathon used acrylic or plastic rather than wood, but the idea is there ;)

Here is the slot cutter I made. The main advantage is that every slot is perfectly straight to the other slots.

post-2349-0-97665900-1406865377_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-79269300-1406865392_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-38215600-1406865405_thumb.jp

great apparatus!

clever idea, nice one

There is such an item called an "electrician's chisel" it looks like a brick chisel that a stone mason would use. Although, it is thinner in its construction verses the masons chisel would be by over half thickness. It is the width of an electrical box to assist in wiring new home construction, when setting boxes in tight areas where the framer left you little room to work, lol. ( anyone that's ever wired new construction for a living knows what that's all about!!!) Anyway, a little changing of the cutting edge angle with a file and then a sharpen and your good to go! The factory edge is a blunter edge to resist breakage when chopping out wooden studs. Since that rugged edge isn't needed and a slicing type sharp edge is needed for cutting slots in leather the filing is needed. Think like your making a knife edge with your file. If you didn't make the change in the edge profile, it would tend to wander and mash when struck with your heavy maul. A sharp edge will stay on track and cut right through.

Bro. Timothy.