Shaunread

Singer 66K

I've decided to get into sewing with a machine for certain aspects of my leather craft, so I looked into buying a used Singer 66K. Ive looked around the internet and struggled to find the manuals for the machine aswell as information on Thread/needle sizes.

Im hoping to sew upto 3mm leather with the machine and im curious as to your opinions on the machine, will it be suitable for the job?

(Images of the machine im looking at below)

http://da1urhpfd469z.cloudfront.net/uploads/advertphotos/14/0815/16942362-320-640x480.jpg

http://da1urhpfd469z.cloudfront.net/uploads/advertphotos/14/0815/16942377-621-640x480.jpg

One thing ive noticed is that there is not a thread size piece on this machine (I cant see it atleast...) Does it look good, or am I on totally the wrong track for a first machine? Oh, and is £130 a reasonable price for such a machine?

Any help would be appreciated so much! :)

Edited by Shaunread

Thanks, ive looked it through and it seems to be a reasonable machine for me to use. However, once again ive become stuck at which size needle the Singer 66K Uses. I checked the manual and anything else I could get my hands on but nothing...

Could anybody help me out?

The Singer 66K uses a Singer type 15x1 (or Japanese HAx1, or Schmetz 130/705H) Universal Needles, available in sizes up to size 18.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer

I refurbish and sell some old Singer sewing machines. I have a Singer 66 on the display rack. All tuned up and optimized, it can only sew into the thinnest and softest leathers, like chap or vest leather. The stitch length is very short, by design. The largest thread size would be T70 (US #69) bonded thread, using a #110/18 leather point needle. Normally, these machines are used with cotton or polyester/cotton garment thread. The needle bar is secured with one light duty set screw. Trying to punch through tough leather may cause it to slip upwards, putting the machine hopelessly out of time.

I would never recommend such a machine to anybody looking to get into leather work. It will let you down, quickly. Stay away from old straight stitch machines. Restrict your search to compound feed walking foot machines, with industrial motors and tables.

I bought a Singer 66 because I couldn't afford a real leather sewing machine. I read Co flicking info on the Web whether it would sew leather. Read a few things from folks who said you just need to upgrade the motor and press or foot to sew leather. I bought a nice used 66, upgraded to a powerful motor, and added a control feed pseudo walking foot. I setup the machine to work as well as it can run. It is simply not up to the task. Without a proper walking foot, it just can't feed the material well to get consistent stitches. It can physically Punch the needle through about 1/8" on soft leather. It can see lighter duty leather, but it's just not the right tool for the job.

If you want to start out w/a household type of machine get a 15Class they are built like the 16Class Industrial types BUT they do not have a walking foot,but you can put a roller foot on it & have some fun with up to 1/4 or more leather.

The Singer 66 is the most basic machine they made.

If you want a Singer machine then I would suggest the model 15. Most Singer domestic machines were pretty ordinary. A great machine for light leather is the PFAFF 30 which is amazingly robust. There are other European machines such as the Minerva which crap all over the Singer domestic machines. They are not true leather machines but a great starter machine and can always be used for wallet liners.