chapelstone

How To Square Up An Edge On A New Hide

I know this is a very basic question but I have always used double shoulders which came pretty square. I am now using more sides. Is there an easy, dependable and accurate way to square up the edges on a new hide.

I don't know what "accurate" would be - that would depend on what you're using the leather for. A long straight cut is nice for belts, not so much for round-bottom handbags.

What changed? I mean, if shoulders were working for you, why stop buying shoulders?

I just use a long straight edge and a utility knife. The old school guys would tell you to scribe a line with a straight edge and awl then use a round knife to cut it.

Simply said, I have two 5 foot straight edges, I lay them down across the top of the side, one overlapping the other, end to end. Make a mark and cut with a round knife. I usually make the resulting width of the piece I cut off, at the narrowest spot, the width that I intend to use for a strap or belt or lace, i.e. 1/4", 1/2", or 1 3/4". As for square, I then plot a perpendicular line across the Butt, and do the same, and so on. If you want really square, pay attention to the lines you mark and cut accordingly. Like a famous Michigan native has said many times, cut once, measure twice ! Or is it the other way around ? :dunno: Well you got the idea.

Bob

Maybe, I don't understand your question but why do you need it square . You, if I understand, only need to have one straight edge to cut from. Go to HomeDepot and buy a straight edge that is about (I'm guessing) 8" long. It has a metal piece that connects the two. Thus an 8' straight edge (Maybe even 10"- I can't remember) & you won't have to overlap.

If I missed your point - disregard my post.

exactly my point. If you're cutting handbags, or holsters, then a long straight cut may actually be WASTING leather.