zaynexpetty

Having Trouble Branding With Large Brand.

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right section to be posting in, but it seemed the most logical.

I have a large brass stamp, 10cm x 10cm. It came with an electric branding iron advertised to handle that size of brass stamp, but it does not get hot enough to properly brand the leather. It will smoke the leather, but it wont singe it like with the smaller brands. I am planning on using it on both wood and leather, but the heater I have simply wont work, by the time it gets to its maximum temperature, it starts to melt the black handle.

So, either I need a cheap recommendation (under $200) for a better electric iron, or I need some advice on how to heat it up alternatively. I have heard that you can heat it up over an open flame, so I was planning on getting a butane torch from walmart and trying that out, but I am worried that I will get the brand too hot and it will burn the wood/leather too much as I have experienced in the past branding when an iron gets too hot.

Is there a good method for doing this? How long to hold the flame over the brand? If the brand gets red hot, is that TOO hot?

Thanks!

Zayne

First off if it was Advertised to work and it does not does the supplier have anything to say ? What brand is it I would like to know ? Especially if I need to avoid this company.

Heat the stamp in your oven, then mount it on the handle with heat on so it won't cool too quickly if you are stamping multiples.

There are other threads about heating brass stamps here, try a search.

Tom

First off if it was Advertised to work and it does not does the supplier have anything to say ? What brand is it I would like to know ? Especially if I need to avoid this company.

Well, I definitely don't want to put anyone on blast, the company was great to deal with, especially when I tried to heat the large stamp up the first time and the embosser melted, they sent me a new one free of charge. Even though that didn't solve my problem, it was good customer service to do so. The embosser works extremely well with the smaller stamps (I would say anything 5x5cm and under), just not with the 10 x 10 cm size which, in fact, was advertised to work with the specific adjustable embosser I purchased (which was more than another embosser they sell, and is the whole reason I purchased that specific one) which is my only gripe. They suggested hooking up both of the embossers to the stamp to heat it up, but I am in america, and the tool was made for 220v, so I had to buy a $60 step down transformer to operate the 1 embosser, however I would need to buy another transformer to operate both of the embossers at the same time, and that is kind of ridiculous. The company also did an extremely good job making my brass stamps, Ive had about 7 made so far by them. The company is lwleathers on etsy. I actually found the same exact embosser on another etsy shop, and they advertised that the maximum size of stamp that the embosser would be able to heat accurately is 5x5cm, NOT the 10x10cm that the company I purchased them through advertised.

Heat the stamp in your oven, then mount it on the handle with heat on so it won't cool too quickly if you are stamping multiples.

There are other threads about heating brass stamps here, try a search.

Tom

Good suggestion, what temperature would you recommend heating a 10x10cm up to?

Thanks!

Zayne

Yes, red hot would be way too hot for leather.

Get a cord and wire it for 220V. If you have an electric dryer you can use that outlet. You may be losing some heat in transformer loss.

10cm is around 4" so that is a pretty big plate. Do you have a pic of the embosser it is going in?

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

There are a few things you can do to make it somehow work. The first thing you should do is talk to the person that sold it to you or write a message on the help section on the website. If you still gave the guarantee, you should be able to return it. That actually sucks since it's a pretty costly brass stamp, and the fact that it doesn't work proves that not everything expensive is also good quality. I'm currently using the one from Belmark, which is an excellent alternative to the large brass stamp you bought. Its electric branding iron works perfectly.

Edited by BobRus

Stepping down 220 volt to 110 volt may be the issue. Only getting 1/2 the amperage as a 220 connection.