venator

I'm Going To Scrap My Machine Soon

I'll be blunt and to the point here. I've been repairing industrial machines in a FACTORY, not a repair shop, since 1980. Sewing machine operators in a factory sew pedal to the metal all day. I don't have the option of not fixing a machine. The company I work for isn't just going to buy a different machine if I fail. Many mechanics who claim they fix industrials in fact work on home machines which are totally different, or work on just a few industrials a year. If you took your machine to be fixed and he couldn't fix it, there should be no charge.

I could honestly take your machine entirely apart, put it in a box and shake it up, then put it back together and get it sewing good. Whoever told you your machine can't be fixed is an idiot. Industrial machines are built to be repaired, plain and simple. I do this 40 hours a week, year 'round. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. My offer stands.

Regards, Eric

I'll be blunt and to the point here. I've been repairing industrial machines in a FACTORY, not a repair shop, since 1980. Sewing machine operators in a factory sew pedal to the metal all day. I don't have the option of not fixing a machine. The company I work for isn't just going to buy a different machine if I fail. Many mechanics who claim they fix industrials in fact work on home machines which are totally different, or work on just a few industrials a year. If you took your machine to be fixed and he couldn't fix it, there should be no charge.

I could honestly take your machine entirely apart, put it in a box and shake it up, then put it back together and get it sewing good. Whoever told you your machine can't be fixed is an idiot. Industrial machines are built to be repaired, plain and simple. I do this 40 hours a week, year 'round. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. My offer stands.

Regards, Eric

Fire me the name of the place you got the shipping quote from and I probably will send it your way.

Also I've never met a mechanic of tech that didn't charge hourly for diagnostic time even if the diagnosis was "buggered". It's not his fault if it's unfixable, why should he be paid for his professional knowledge and time investigating it?

The quote was from UPS.com.

He can't fix it because he doesn't know how. That's not being a professional and his knowledge is worthless. My opinion of course.

Regards, Eric

Well it's official, nobody in Edmonton will fix it.

Eric it looks like if I can find a reasonable price on shipping it's headed your way. Best I've found is $425 each way though so at that price Id do better to save my money for a new one. Thoughts folks on shipping?

When it comes back fixed, i would go back to the tech and demand my money back, as his diagnosis would have been proven worthless. Yes, you absolutely should pay for expertise. The root of that word is expert....The guy in edmonton may be an expert, but perhaps not on your machine. He should not charge for anything he does not know. If he is a professional, he should be able to give you a basic diagnosis and estimate for REPAIR before you pay him anything.

I would phone Leightons.ca outside red-deer, they have been selling and refurbishing industrial machines specifically leather ones since 1983. They have been recommended to me before. They may have better advice on a good tech to go to.

Not fixable?? Its an adler. Its not a cheap knock-off. Parts are out there, used and new ones. Not fixable means he does not know how. Broken in half is not even unfixable..... I actually have seen a metal lathe that was broken in half and then brazed back together, and worked just fine. It was not an economical repair, but it was repaired. NOTHING is unfixable with the right expertise.

Here are some pics of a vise my grandfather brass brazed back together 60 some years ago. One jaw broke right off. The vise has been in use by him, my father and me ever since. He could have thrown it out, but why when it is fixable. Too many things get thrown out these days, and we have forgotten how to fix things.

post-60185-0-71733900-1429326788_thumb.j

post-60185-0-13653400-1429326792_thumb.j

post-60185-0-98868400-1429326794_thumb.j

On second thought, I don't think Justin Beiber is fixable, but that's an argument for a different forum.....

Looking forward to getting my hands on this Adler. Like the last one, I'll document stuff for the forum. For me it's a labor of love and a way to give back. Paying forward and stuff.

Regards, Eric

Looking forward to getting my hands on this Adler. Like the last one, I'll document stuff for the forum. For me it's a labor of love and a way to give back. Paying forward and stuff.

Regards, Eric

"A Gentleman, Scholar, and a fine judge of horse flesh" as my father likes to say....

. Too many things get thrown out these days, and we have forgotten how to fix things.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT WITH THIS!!!

This is off topic but a few years ago my dish washer (approx 10 years old) no longer cleaned the dishes - broke - crap - new one is expensive. Mechanic said: "Parts no longer available. You have to buy a new one (from him)". I could not believe it. So I took it to the garage and started simply cleaning the hoses and some internal parts and when I removed the pump and I found a broken pump wheel. I googled a lot and figured parts from other washers will work as a lot of them are internally the same with just different labels (like sewing machines). I found the parts number and bought a pump wheel kit on Ebay for 40€ (worth maybe 2€) but this kit fixed it and I saved 400€ for a new dish washer. And since then it is working flawless. That was a really good lesson. Since that day I always try to fix things by my self because a lot of mechanics are telling bull shit because they want to sell new "devices". And I had other similar experiences (converting a clutch motor from 380V to 220V f.i.).

Most repairs are fairly simple and you can save A LOT OF MONEY when you can fix things by your self. And on top of that it is environmental protection when you fix things instead of throwing them away. Still off topic but do you know about "Planned Obsolescence" - google it!

Back to topic. Sending the machine to Eric is probably the best thing you can do. But make sure you pack it up carefully and well protected. Buy some thick Styrofoam plates or extra protection and make sure the machine is not moving inside the package. Put Styrofoam plates to the bottom top and all 4 sides. Remember - the machine is heavy and really need this protection!!!!

Eric - I´m pulling my hat - this is really really generous but you probably will get in 10 machines a week now ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Lol. If I had the time I'd travel around and fix everything so people would have more time to actually sew.

My kind of man, ERIC !!!!!

ferg

The truth is that I'm handy but if there's 10 different adjustments that need to be balanced I'm not able to do that, with a car maybe but not a sewing machine yet.

{cough}

Okay, first post here, but I thought I should say something.

I got that “26 different timing points” speech from a guy who came in offering to re-time our machines for $75.

I mentioned it to Tim, our Sewing Machine Guru and Trainer. He kind of scoffed.

Basic timing is like this:

1) the rotation.

2) the distance from hook.

3) Needle Post height... and that’s stretching the point. It doesn’t get reset often.

That’s it.

Now, if you count everything that CAN go wrong... like messing with Feed Dog Height, Feed Dog centering, the stitch length assembly, the needle rotation... I suppose you could get to ten adjustments.

If you added in all the weird things that could go wrong, putting in a different needle than the machine was timed for, or using a smaller needle than the thread calls for...

But that’s not the usual problem.

Normally, timing is controlling the distance from the needle to the hook, and the rotation of the hook so it’s at the right point when the needle has begun to rise.

Get a magnifying visor. Or a Boroscope... I’m seriously fantasizing about a color Boroscope.

I want to be able to poke the fiber optic wand in, and watch the hook approach the needle hole with a 5X magnification.

Nice going Captain Kirk, now you got me shopping for a borescope on Amazon. It sounds like a great tool to boldly look where no man has looked before inside my sewing machines.

{cough}

Okay, first post here, but I thought I should say something.

I got that “26 different timing points” speech from a guy who came in offering to re-time our machines for $75.

I mentioned it to Tim, our Sewing Machine Guru and Trainer. He kind of scoffed.

Basic timing is like this:

1) the rotation.

2) the distance from hook.

3) Needle Post height... and that’s stretching the point. It doesn’t get reset often.

That’s it.

Now, if you count everything that CAN go wrong... like messing with Feed Dog Height, Feed Dog centering, the stitch length assembly, the needle rotation... I suppose you could get to ten adjustments.

If you added in all the weird things that could go wrong, putting in a different needle than the machine was timed for, or using a smaller needle than the thread calls for...

But that’s not the usual problem.

Normally, timing is controlling the distance from the needle to the hook, and the rotation of the hook so it’s at the right point when the needle has begun to rise.

Get a magnifying visor. Or a Boroscope... I’m seriously fantasizing about a color Boroscope.

I want to be able to poke the fiber optic wand in, and watch the hook approach the needle hole with a 5X magnification.

Welcome to the forum!

The trick isn't knowing what 2 or 3 simple adjustments to make, the trick is knowing the 40 other adjustments not to make.

This particular machine had some serious issues, I've got it sewing, but now the oil system is getting re-done. You can read about the progress in the pinned portion of the forum. I'm on the home stretch.

Regards, Eric

OK, so from what I've read here so far, and correct me if I make any errors here but, here's the gist of the story;

Customer buys machine, as stated, in working order.

Customer likely jams machine and then starts to take it apart. Kind of like if someone were to hear a knock in their Ford and decides to take apart the transmission.

Customer then proceeds to bash company they purchased from on a message board, even without contacting them, allowing them to correct the situation or offer solutions. They may not even be aware of the customer's situation.

Customer then contacts every person they can find to complain to, and then has almost a dozen different opinions of what they should do. Some good, some bad, some very generous like here on the message board.

Am I missing something here, or incorrect about anything here? Because I'm about ready to let someone know how I really feel about this thread.

OK, so from what I've read here so far, and correct me if I make any errors here but, here's the gist of the story;

Customer buys machine, as stated, in working order.

Customer likely jams machine and then starts to take it apart. Kind of like if someone were to hear a knock in their Ford and decides to take apart the transmission.

Customer then proceeds to bash company they purchased from on a message board, even without contacting them, allowing them to correct the situation or offer solutions. They may not even be aware of the customer's situation.

Customer then contacts every person they can find to complain to, and then has almost a dozen different opinions of what they should do. Some good, some bad, some very generous like here on the message board.

Am I missing something here, or incorrect about anything here? Because I'm about ready to let someone know how I really feel about this thread.

This thread has been continued elsewhere. As gottaknow said in his thread about diagnosing the machine, The machine has had oiling issues for a very long time and looks to have had water in the oil causing problems. Northern Alberta is a sparse place, there are not to many people who do this kind of work and they are all expensive (and some are shady. The ones that were contacted could not even fix the problem, or wouldn't even touch it for less than a boatload of cash. The one who did look at it did not mention the long term lack of oil to the top end, and was probably in over his head. The user then came on here to see if a diagnosis was possible, as no locals seemed to know what was up, or were shady.

Gottaknow has diagnosed, and will have the machine fixed and back to the user soon, at a reasonable price. Sometimes you have to talk about the issue to a group of people to find the RIGHT resource. Also remember than frustration can do strange things to the brain and emotions, which can show through in the tone of a post. Jumping in now with your 2 cents is a week or 3 past when the user chose a course of action and moved on to finding the solution.

As for not contacting the original seller about repairs, Shipping accross the border isn't always easy. Also I think it is much easier to now go back to the seller and say wtf, than it would have been if the user just phoned and said my machine is no good....There is now a detailed diagnosis from a professional. Likely the original seller would have wanted a professional opinion before paying to ship the machine both ways anyways as users are notoriously bad at diagnosing problems with these machines. If i have a problem with a product, or suspect a crooked deal, I ALWAYS get an opinion from someone who is not financially vested in the sale. If the seller screwed you the first time, he/she may do it again.

(not saying that is what happened here, i'll leave that diagnosis to Gottaknow and Venator to discuss privately.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Through PMs and other contact with posters, this thread has come into focus better, and I now have more information than I had to start with. There are some things people are seeing here than were not fully explained, now I know. I'll stand down, and stay out of this one for sure. Glad to see others willing to help, it means a lot to the message board community here.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing