Here is another Roper wallet. I got a gem in the mail...Al Stallman's Inverted Leather Carving and I decided to try it.

post-48901-0-46201200-1431056539_thumb.j

post-48901-0-24698900-1431056556_thumb.j

Sorry, but I have to ask. Is this solely for yourself or for a customer? Or is it just a training item?

For now I'm practicing and hopefully start making these to sell

I'm not one for doing Sheridan/flower carving so I can't say much about it.

The whip stitch around the outer edge seems like it is uneven both in the distance from the edge and how far apart they are spaced.

The stitching holding the card slots on the right side seem to wander as well. Also, the card slots don't seem to line up consistently with the backing piece.

How is the coin pocket(?) connected to the left side?

How is the coin pocket(?) connected to the left side?

It's folded and attached to the liner. Hopefully with stitching.

I'm hoping that as well but wanted to ask just in case

Just my 2 cents..

For as long as you are trying and training, it may be better to post it in the "Critique My Work" section and you may receive better feedback. If you are having lacing/braiding tools available don't settle for just bringing a lace through a hole one after the other... Braiding looks so much nicer and may let someone overlook other mistakes or not even recognize them. Same with the smearing of the dye. Even strokes would be much better than erratic ones. In any case burnished edges wouldn't hurt.

The inverted carving is very interesting. I've never seen that. I recently ran across a dye tip that really has helped me; cut up a kitchen sponge, wet it, and apply dye in a circular motion. Apply it thoroughly with more and more dye until the whole surface looks even. Then use a slightly wet sponge to buff it and meld the colors together. Slightly wet sponge and/or a dry cloth. Buff it until your cloth doesn't pick up any more dye (or as close to it as your patience allows). Then, when it's dry, apply oil. 24 hours later, apply 3 light coats of resolene with 12 hours in between each coat.

On the stitching I need to slow down...I get in a hurry...on being lined up...again hurry...lol.

Yes the coin holder is stitched...it wasn't in the pattern...I added it.

I've never tried braiding but may give it a shot.

On the dye I usually use a sponge or a rag...this time I used a dauber (spelled wrong) because someone suggested it but I don't like it.

I post it here to show it and get the criticism at the same time. I'm getting back into it after 20 yrs of being out and need the "tough love". Lol

Edited by LoneWolf1973