hyttogpine

? (Abc) To My New Singer 45K25

Yes, all of you were right: there's no reverse on 45K25 (I was mislead by the brochure, made by Singre Company. Yes, a naive user).

But now I've purchased the item. My knowledge about sawing machines are near to zero. Therfore the topic title and in the hope of assistant from you.

Now I would like to begin with a "spring cleaning" of the machine (and my two other old sewing machines to). Is the idea of using a flower-spray-bottle, filled up with kerosene ? Clean petrol/gasolin from the chemists ? Or a third alternative ? And spray in all openings and behind removable covers > air compressor > dry a day or two > oil. Will it be to aggressive to attack in this way ?

Do I use grease fore lubrication to the ball-bearing and business or will the regular oiling do ?

Inspired of several gifted menmers here, it is my intention is to make pictures for documentation, as the process go forward.

In a quick check, things seems to be fine, the only thing I'm uneasy about is wear and tear in the shuttle-house. When I get access to a computer I upload a video clip, and like to hear your opinion.

Unfortunately there was no treadle to the ordinary Singer base. It was sold to an other buyer before me.

With really crappy machines I will soak them in a bath of kerosiene and use a tooth brush to get the crap out.

Ensure that all screws are tight without binding up the action.

New shuttles, shuttle races. shuttle race rings, needle bars, presser foot bars and many other parts are available. (I have to point out that I am the main seller on ebay but Bob Kovar and others can help you out).

Thank you Brosowisk

Without experience to what a really duty machine is, I'll ges my patcher 29K4 and Adler 48-10 don't need shower. Oil will probably do fine. But the last ones - 45K25 - after a long career in the workshop, it was brought back into the basement, when the owner retired, and used from request from neighbours og friends. Meanwhile the same room where in use for woodcraft. I hardly can see any parts, looking inside.

But do you use some kind of grease fore the ball-bearings ?

I was mention "flower-spray-bottle" , because I only reach the half of the inside machinery, with a toothbrush. And because of all sawdust mixed with old oil, my thoughts went in direction of support of a compressor air. Will it be to radical cleaning ?

LOL,

No ball bearings in these machines - all over engineered plain bearings.

I do not like using compressed air as it blows the rubbish into the bearing surfaces - just my opinion

Thank for both answer.

Grease and compressed air.

Then I will do kreosiene and as long brush I can find. Think I have one at 1foot available.

Congratulations hyttogpine, you got the machine. so you did not get the treadle?. how is your cleaning getting on?? keep us updated? any pictures of your progress?? regards jimi.

That all my sewing machines, all so have the possibility in practice to use a treadle, have high priority. Since the 45K25 are mounted on a original (?) wooden desk, my idea is later to find some cast iron treadle base. To me it doesn't matter whenever it's a old base from Singer, Pfaff or Adler. As long it have two flywheel/driving wheel (?).

I haven't started on the 45K25 yet. Instead, I have used time to the Adler 48-10 which now looks okay. The needle bar was very bent. Now it's nearly straight. But I have to find a replacement later.

Some of the chromium plating parts was so rusty, that the chromium flake away when I use a rotating wire brush. Would like to know how much effort, the rest of you put into such issue. Is it reasonable to send away such parts to "new chromium plating" ?

Even it was my intention to take photos, making the Adler, I was so busy to began, that my photo-session fall apart. But when I'll begin cleaning up the Singer 45K10 I hopeful will do better.

@jimi

Ater seeing your go-ahead spirit and ability restoring the Pfaff

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55790 it's set a standard that at least I can't follow up. But I intend that the Singer 45K25 one day will be sewing and have some treadle stand.

Hey hyttogpine, good luck with your project :thumbsup: . as for the chrome?? :dunno: that is maybe a personal choice, if it is going to look good afterwards and you are willing to spend the money to re chrome...why not!. my personal choice was not to re chrome the pfaff 335 binder plate that was rusted. i just cleaned off the rust. if you need any help or pictures etc.. then just ask. regards jimi.

I don't know if this would work on a sewing machine, but on other machinery and firearms that have had years of gunk built up, I clean it with a few cans of carburater cleaner. really gets rid of the gunked up grease in the hard to reach areas.

I don't know if this would work on a sewing machine, but on other machinery and firearms that have had years of gunk built up, I clean it with a few cans of carburater cleaner. really gets rid of the gunked up grease in the hard to reach areas.

That and brake cleaner are what I used to reach many of the Claes patcher parts. It worked well.