SARK9

Anyone Know The Specifics About A Singer 45K31 Treadle?

I'm aware of one very inexpensively priced but in unknown condition. Looks monsterous. Also a model 7-34, but I don't need another flatbed.

TIA!

-DC

I agree with Constabulary. There is no such sub class as 31. I did a search for a couple of hours and did not find anything on such a machine

Knowing Singer I would never say that a particular model number is imossible.

Here is the no such model's tag:

post-46726-0-13155800-1435071696_thumb.j

I couldn't find anything about it either, which is why I was hoping someone here might shed some light. All I have are a couple of pictures; it seems to have a wheel presser installed.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

early 1900´s built as it seems - maybe they just made a few of this subclass. How is the rest of the machine looking :)

Couple of other pictures-

post-46726-0-17206300-1435072648_thumb.j

post-46726-0-34899900-1435072650_thumb.j

-DC

Has an unusual shaped and flat throat plate and the roller foot looks a bit different but thats maybe because of the pictures.

Do you have a picture from the backside? Are the pre and main tension present? How much does the seller ask for it?

It obviously has several parts missing....I'm not seeing a takeup arm and a few other things. My main concerns are the capacities and the feed system....some subclasses have NO feed system. The asking price is under US$300. I would have to work some magic to haul it back 1100 miles in a Jeep Patriot, (the wife is with me too LOL), so it needs to be something worth the bother.....

post-46726-0-34140500-1435074424_thumb.j

-DC

very small pictures - can´t see enough.... The thread take up lever is on the left side and goes through the face plate, it is not on the front! I think it is present - see red circle. Thats the position where it should be when the lever is up.

You are right, some do not have a feed dog (darning machiens) but this one has a roller foot and a roller foot makes no sence w/o a feed dog so I´d assume it has one!

post-31854-0-48479100-1435077620_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Well, but $300 for this machine is not a bargain considering the condition and that you have to drive 1100 mls. Seems you also need a bobbin winder, a thread stand and maybe a new table or stand. This stand is from a 29K and has a pretty lightweight balance wheel for a heavy machine like this. Not sure if I would buy the machine.... :huh:

Edited by Constabulary

That is the first and only one I have seen.

Henderson sewing does not have this model lilsted in their Singer parts manuals.

Good luck.

Hi Sark9, that particular machine is dated 1904 by the serial number and as you know the k models were built in the killbowie factory in glasgow, scotland. and at that time it was the biggest sewing machine factory in the world!. this model was discontinued and superseded with the 45k56. according to the singer description. and looking at the picture of the machine, it seems like some parts have been taken off.??

post-32832-0-83153600-1435090277_thumb.j

looks like the vibrating presser foot is gone (that is why there is a long channel up the back), and on this side of the head there is a T shaped bar (adjuster) which is also missing? there are only the two screws left.

it is basically a 45k25 now.

i think the head of the 45k31 should look the same as this Adler 104.

post-32832-0-61765300-1435092661_thumb.j

post-32832-0-23790500-1435092808_thumb.j

it is possible that it can sew, but remember you might not be able to get the feed dog for this model so you might have to make one? (drill,grinder and file). this looks like a nice project,haha. i would go for it, but remember old machines will take a bit of work and improvisation sometimes to get them going. and hopefully there are no main parts worn down, otherwise it might take a lot of searching and waiting to find the right part. if you can pull the price down a bit lower then it is possible if it does not work out you can sell off the machine and table and break clean. this will mark your leather with the feed dog on the underside, less with the roller foot.sometimes you win?? good luck.

Edited by jimi

Look at that Jimi "Mr. 45K" has the answer :thumbsup:

You actually can remove the jump foot sytem and replace the presser foot bar for adding regular presser feet or just add a roller foot instead. Seems thats what they dd decades ago. Result is that the machine is less nosy. I once did that on an Adler and I still have the foot system so I can take some pictures later.

Edited by Constabulary

Well ferreted out. Don't know where you found this info out, but if it wasn't through ISMACS, I know they would appreciate being told about the 45K31.

Singer were always willing to build speciality machines for businesses, and if it was me, I'd haggle over the price a bit, then buy it.

Nothing better than refurbishing and using a unique bit of Scottish history.

Blast! My schedule has been moved up a day, so I will NOT have time to drive down to see the machine, and must leave this morning. I appreciate the help determining what this model is about, but I won't be able to nab it.

Anyone who is interested can locate it at:

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/5066669706.html

Thanks again for all of your help, and I hope someone is able to put it back in service!

-DC

Just dug out the jump foot system - this actually is from an Adler but thats approx. the parts that is missing on the pictures 45K31. Not sure how Singer made it back than but the bottom end of the Adler Presser foot bar is rounded w/o screw hole and not squared with screw hole as the standard bar so it only "could" accommodate a roller foot but no standard foot.

You can put a Singer pressure bar(or GA-5) on the Adler.

You can put a Singer pressure bar(or GA-5) on the Adler.

Thats true, thats what I did with the machine were I took off the jump or flip back foot assy. (oh - forgot to add the pictures)

post-31854-0-80949800-1435166309_thumb.jpost-31854-0-11777600-1435166315_thumb.j

I installed a presser bar of a 133K3 from College Sewing - worked w/o problems.

The foot would still jump afterwards?? right??

i think the head of the 45k31 should look the same as this Adler 104.

@ jimi

What kind of mackinery/operating system is on the Adler 104. It has at part no. RT 27

Hi Hyttogpine, this is for regulating the elevation of the foot.

http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Manuals_Adler/Manual_Adler_104_105.pdf

Edited by jimi

:taptap: I just found it when you asked :thumbsup: i did not know what it was for before you asked me :dunno: thanks to internet and the people who are kind enough to put up information :notworthy: i am a learner like you :spoton:

Edited by jimi