elthoma

Hand Cranked Type 441 Sewing Machine?

Hello everyone:

I am new to the forums, but have garnered some really great information.

I came across this GA5-1R that has been converted to be Hand Cranked,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221774256185?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was wondering the viability of such a modification? I have a Sailrite LS-1 with the Monster Wheel and it does fine when turned by hand with thin leather.

I would appreciate a more experienced opinion of this, as it would be great for Boy Scouts.

Thank you

Ed

Ed;

If you live in Australia (the machine is in AU) this machine is a good option for a starter in the business. It has single feed, from an aggressive feed dog on the bottom. This is well suited to sewing horse blankets and saddle components, where the bottom being marked is not too important.

Hand cranked machines take away one hand that would normally guide the material. You may tire your arm out quickly if you have to sew long straps, or doubled rows of stitching, or decorative stitching.

Note, that the same type of machine is sold in the US and Canada by several of our member-dealers. A Barney wheel can be added to the hand wheel for unpowered sewing. In fact, Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, recently posted a photo of a similar machine (CB3200) with a Barney wheel he added to hand spin it.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wizcrafts,

Thank you very much, now my question: What is a Barney Wheel?

Ed

Depends on what you want to sew.

Maybe a patcher sewing machine like a Singer 29K is the better option. Most of the 29K have a hand wheel that you can move from the right side to the front side. I think it is more comfortable for the Boy Scouts to sew with But the 29K has of course it´s limitatations.

Maybe this video gives you an idea

We had an inmate from Texas send us an order for a CB3200 handcrank so we made him one.

Handcrank CB3200.MOV

Wizcrafts,

Thank you very much, now my question: What is a Barney Wheel?

Ed

I meant Barney Knob. Sorry for the mistake. It is a free-spinning add-on steering wheel knob that originated in the mid-1950s. They clamped around the wheel to let the driver spin the steering wheel one-handed, while his right arm was around his girlfriend. Barney Rubble may have had one on his steering wheel.

Wiz,

You mean a "suicide knob". Had one on my 53 Chevy (well, my dad's), it didn't have power steering and was about 99 turns of a two foot diameter steering wheel lock to lock.

Art

We also have the knob that is used for turning most hand wheels. We also have the extension arm to make it easier to turn than the knob. We have done both styles many times.

Wiz,

You mean a "suicide knob". Had one on my 53 Chevy (well, my dad's), it didn't have power steering and was about 99 turns of a two foot diameter steering wheel lock to lock.

Art

I had one on the 56 Olds my cousin and I shared. It had the Rocket engine and fur dice. The knob was cool and we never got hurt by it.

That I understand, we had one on my Dads 47 cab over Wiley's, that was a monster to handle at ten across the ranch: Everyone thank you for your replies, I am now figuring out which way might be best to go. This forum is the best and so is everyone here

I have an Adler 205-64 with a Brodie Knob (suicide knob, spinner knob, necker knob) on it that works good for repair work.

Photos in another thread here: Adler 205-64
http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51731&page=2&hl=suicide#entry368191

CD in Oklahoma

I just wanted to thank everyone, I have spoken with Ryan of Neels Saddlery, he is only about 100 miles from my house and I decided to go with a Cowboy 3200: Now I just have to wait for it to come and go get it.

Hi all,

That is my machine on eBay Australia.

Obviously if you are going to run the machine one handed you need a roller guide and I supply that with the machine.

Long arm 441's are too awkward but anything else can be hand cranked!

Not as good as a treadle but a good way to go and they can always be put on a table later on

We also have the knob that is used for turning most hand wheels. We also have the extension arm to make it easier to turn than the knob. We have done both styles many times.

I was thinking peddle powered, not like a treadle but like bike hardware, good control and good power potential. Leaves hands free

That is my listing LOL

Hello everyone:

I am new to the forums, but have garnered some really great information.

I came across this GA5-1R that has been converted to be Hand Cranked,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221774256185?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was wondering the viability of such a modification? I have a Sailrite LS-1 with the Monster Wheel and it does fine when turned by hand with thin leather.

I would appreciate a more experienced opinion of this, as it would be great for Boy Scouts.

Thank you

Ed

The 441 is waay too long to hand crank.

The CB3200 is a good option