AEMcClain

Critique My Basket Weave

I would like some feedback on my stamping, I'm not much of a stamper but I'd like to get better at it.

post-58311-0-95036600-1445989807_thumb.j

Due to the design of your sheath I would have used an angled basket weave stamp. One like this would compliment your design better in my opinion. basketstamps_angle_lg.jpg

It's a good start AE! You asked for feedback so I'll offer my thoughts. Bear in mind that this is based off off my preference, and it didn't cost you a thing so take it or leave it as you see fit.

I think that diagonal basketweave looks MUCH better than horizontal like you have. However to really have it look "right" the angle needs to be such that the pattern stays the same the length of the piece, if it's too shallow or too steep it will run off the end then need to start over again. Some pieces this isn't very noticeable on but on belts or anything that is narrow and long it really jumps out.

I read a number of tips for how to get the angle right ant keep the pattern even and none really worked for me. What I found that does work is to make a light scribe mark down the center of your tooling area. Then place your stamp diagonal on that line with the corners right on the line, say the top left corner and the bottom right corner. Stamp that then move it ahead and line up to the previous stamp with the leading corner still centered on your scribe line, stamp and repeat. Once you've gone the whole length of the scribe start building out off this line.

The picture below shows this in mid process. I do use a basket stamp with a parallel lines, yours looks like it has a bit of a curve. I also space my impressions quite a bit further away than you do, with the stamp you have you may not be able to do this. But if it sounds like something you want to try it's easy enough to get a piece of scrap and give it a go.

That pretty well covers layout, my other feedback is to make sure and let your leather dry out a little after you get it wet before you start tooling, this is called "casing". Having the leather cased properly will help get crisp defined impressions instead of "mushy" ones. It also leaves the impressions darker due to some burnishing that occurs and depending on how your going to dye or finish the piece this can be pretty desirable. Looking at your cam border I couldn't tell for sure if your leather was maybe a little too wet or if it was just that the stamp you are using has really fine lines. I like cam stamps that have fewer bolder lines, again I think this helps to get nice crisp impressions.

Again, it's a good start, keep up the good work!

Josh

post-19070-0-53230900-1446041216_thumb.j

Thank yall for the tips Ill put them to good use.

Josh, that is a great tip! I don't do much stamp work, but your post is forcing me to now! Beautiful work.

And to the original poster, looks like you are on your way. A little finesse here and there and attention to the right amount and timing of the casing will help.

AE nice sheath design. Casing is key to getting sharp stamping just like Josh and others have said.

Josh, excellent post.