BMW

Stitch Length

I currently have an embroidery business and will expand into making leather bags and purses.

Have been researching what machine would fit best. Will mainly be using 2 to 4 oz. leather.

Looking at Consew 227R, Juki 1508 and a Techsew 2700.

The Consew and Techsew only go up to a 5mm stitch length.

Any opinion if this is a long enough stitch for the weight of leather I plan on using?

Any opinions greatly appreciated

IMHO long stitches make things look cheap. 6 to 7 maybe 8 inches to the inch would look a lot better.

Stitch length IMHO depends on material, thread size, personal preference, style and your local markets preference. I.e. a .8 mm thick thread or 1 mm even needs a longer length than a .5 mm thick thread and so on. 8 spi on a saddle looks not so great as it might on a watch strap. Same goes for a Celtic or Norsk item versus an Italian designer belt...

For wallets I like around 3 mm long stitches and I'm using a tera 20 thread. On bags I prefer a longer stitch of 4 to 5 mm depending on the leather I'm using.

This being said, the conversion of metric stitch length to spi is as follows: 25.4 / X = Y and will result in

8 spi = 3,2 mm

7 spi = 3,6 mm

6 spi = 4,2 mm

5 spi = 5,0 mm

(source: https://tv-sewingcenter.com/sewing/metric-conversion-from-us-stitches-per-inch)

Thanks for the info guys.

My question is more technical in nature than aesthetic though.

My concern is the minimum requirement of stitch length needed to sew 2 to 4 oz leather. Does a 5mm max machine get it done?

Thanks again for the comments! Appreciate all of them.

Thanks for the info guys.

My question is more technical in nature than aesthetic though.

My concern is the minimum requirement of stitch length needed to sew 2 to 4 oz leather. Does a 5mm max machine get it done?

Thanks again for the comments! Appreciate all of them.

Yes

I wouldn't want anything longer than 5 on a bag.in my opinion, you need big thread to make long stitches look right.