Here is my first revolver holster- a gift for my Dad. He likes to inlay a Montana coin in his woodworking projects, so I thought I'd do the same for his holster. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips I have gleaned over the past months as I've taken up leatherwork. My learning curve has been shortened considerably thanks to all the expertise offered here. What a great community!

God bless,

Tanner

post-66685-0-19132300-1449812573_thumb.j

post-66685-0-42507100-1449812585_thumb.j

Nice! I like it!

Well done!

Looks good. Nice work.

Very nice. Good edges and stitch work.

If it were my present , be tuff to use it I'd want to keep it new to show off. He will love it great job.

Very nice

Awesome looking holster for sure, love the stitched in coin, nice touch...

Thanks for the encouragement! Looks like many of you who responded are holster makers-- can I ask how you normally treat the leather in terms of oils, finishes, etc.? I have not oiled the leather at any phase of the project (mostly because I don't have any and I do not want to lose the rigid structure of the holster). I have been using Sno-Seal beeswax and shoe polish, nothing else yet. Do you have recommendations for how to treat it in such a way that will keep the leather in good shape without softening it? Thanks!

Tanner

I treat my holsters with Tan-kote from Fiebings. I usually give the a couple of coats. It give a good looking finish and seems to last a long time too.

I use resolene for most of my projects as my finish coat. I usually only add neatsfoot oil when I have used a cut dye for my dying. I have no scientific basis but I figure if I cut my cordovan solvent dye 50% with denatured alcohol then spray the leather good and wet with it and let it dry that I ought to replenish some oil. Could be complete waste of time hoodoo but it makes me feel better. If I use straight dye I usually just finish up with resolene on most things and I have people show me holsters I made 8 yrs ago still going strong.

On pieces that I know will spend a great deal of time under heavy field use I offer the neatsfoot/beeswax paste finish and melt it into the surface. Gives a great looking TOUGH long wearing finish.

Holster looks great!!

Mind if I pick your brain on how you did the coin inlay? I am trying to add two coins (1851 and 1856 large penny) to a belt I am using for a two rig set

Edited by PAMuzzle