Uwe

Video: Practicing My French Seams On Vinyl

I made little sewing demo video (partially in the hopes of it helping sell my Chandler/Adler 67-GK373 + FESM-550 servo motor setup.)

The video may be useful to others who are wanting to use french seams. I'm just practicing on vinyl before I use them on my leather bags, but they're starting to turn out pretty nice.

Here you go:

Nice video, as usual. You can strengthen French seams by adding a reinforcing strip behind the seam. Then the joining seam is not taking all the stress when subject to being pulled across the seam, and the seam won't tend to open and gape. I recommend it. Makes a much stronger and durable product. You can also use a pressing stick to help separate the join and to press it flat before doing the side stitches. Much like a burnishing stick.

Really like and appreciate your videos.

Tom

Nice demo....thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I learned something new from your vid. Trying to explain.

I have had some difficulty when sewing around the English point belt end. Your techniques showed me I can raise the feet BEDORE BURYING THE NEEDLE, giving me a view WHERE I AM, with the the need close checking the needle position, adjusting /moving the leather as needed, then set the needle

hope this makes sense.

Thanks, I learned something new from your vid. Trying to explain.

I have had some difficulty when sewing around the English point belt end. Your techniques showed me I can raise the feet BEDORE BURYING THE NEEDLE, giving me a view WHERE I AM, with the the need close checking the needle position, adjusting /moving the leather as needed, then set the needle

hope this makes sense.

Remember if you lift the foot too high, it will release your top tension. Otherwise, yes, it is very helpful when matching up corners, tight curves, etc.

Tom

What I have been doing is bury the needle raise the pressure foot, take a look , start the Next stitch, using the reverse do a 1/2 stitch if needed moving the needle instead of the leather, which works But the technique above gives a clearer view of needle position

Nice job Uwe!

Most of the upholstery shops I moonlight for use a 3/8" gauge double needle machine to do their French seams. To speed things up I solder a center guide on the foot to follow the seam exact. I then build a guide for whatever seam tape they use that holds it under the seam and feed the tape off a roll from under the machine. This eliminates the need to guide the tape or use adhesive tape. If you don't do a lot of this type of seam, a single needle with a 3/16" guide foot works well. The seam tape is a must imo.

Regards, Eric