Constabulary

Found Some Original Singer Paper Work

Got a nice lot of original Singer paper work from a saddlery in GB. ;)

Original Singer Parts catalog from 1973/74, parts catalog from Bogod Co (not only Singer parts) and a bunch of original Singer technical bulletins. Great information on parts, needles, screws, subclasses and so forth. Nice information on some 45K and 111w machines. Too many page to scan and post here but I think I will put some of the bulletin's into a PDF and post them.

Just wanted to share this.

post-31854-0-69124300-1452968892_thumb.j

post-31854-0-26176800-1452968898_thumb.j

post-31854-0-46488200-1452968900_thumb.j

post-31854-0-84150500-1452968902_thumb.j

post-31854-0-39064400-1452968905_thumb.j

post-31854-0-59944500-1452968907_thumb.j

post-31854-0-84534800-1452968909_thumb.j

post-31854-0-16096400-1452968972_thumb.j

post-31854-0-32717100-1452968975_thumb.j

post-31854-0-45593200-1452968977_thumb.j

post-31854-0-13844900-1452968979_thumb.j

post-31854-0-18165000-1452968981_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Nice find!

-DC

That's some truly wonderful stuff.

What a gold mine of info!! Lots of fascinating reading there, and great for cross-referencing parts maybe.

I noticed a reference in photo 8 to a "KSV" model. That is the first reference, other than a youtube vid, to an SV machine (which I have) that I've seen. Are there any other references to SV machines, by any chance?

What a gold mine of info!! Lots of fascinating reading there, and great for cross-referencing parts maybe.

I noticed a reference in photo 8 to a "KSV" model. That is the first reference, other than a youtube vid, to an SV machine (which I have) that I've seen. Are there any other references to SV machines, by any chance?

photo 11 and 12 are as well.

Well spotted. I was so surprised at seeing the first one that I didn't see the others! Hopefully there may be some reference inside about just what SV means - or even my machine? (111WSV77).

Constabulary, my apologies for digressing slightly here (but you started it by putting up the photos!). When I bought my machine, I searched on the model number and turned up nothing. After seeing your photo, I searched on KSV and got a lot more hits!!! I'm still none the wiser, as some say it means "special variety", one said it's a special model suited to "artisans" (I doubt that), and someone else said it's a short run model to see if it sells before going into production, after which they deleted the SV designation (doesn't sound right to me). I also found a listing of needle part numbers for every Singer model (supposedly) and in it there are quite a few classes that have SV models. The 111W class actually lists 18 different SV models (!!) - but not mine, there are numbers before and after, but not mine. Actual SV machines, in general, appear to be uncommon.

So I'm still :dunno: about this designation, and will be interested to see if you come across any info as you start reading your little treasure trove.

Edited by dikman

K is for the Kilbowie plant.

SV is Special Version and this is the only documentation I have seen of one.

Most of the time SV was used for a special build and it could have been a minor internal modification for a particular customer or a short run of machines.

I have a 24KSV that was guilt for circular sewing and was a standard 24 with an attachment.

If an SV proved to have wider uses it was sometimes formalised as a standard model and I had a 133KSV darning machine (really old serial number) that was identical to the later 133k12

Trying to track specific types is pretty much impossible

What I have observed that an SV machine is nothing else than a standard machine with just some additional or different accessories / attachments than the standard ones from the shelf. I doubt they had extra hardened parts or so. But thats probably a nice story to force a sale - my opinion.

I have a 34KSV5 and I know someone who has a 34KSV6 - both machines appear to be the same. I guess they once just were equipped for a special sewing operation but it´s impossible to track back what it was in particular.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks guys, it all helps. Special Version makes more sense than the other descriptors I've seen. I agree about the "hardened parts" bit. Initially it sounded good, but the fact that there appears to have been quite a lot of different model SV's made, across the various classes, would tend to rule that out I think. (18 different models in the 111W class alone is quite a lot!). As for mine, I haven't yet found any difference to the 111W152.

What I also find interesting is that none of the usual listings for Singer machines make any reference to SV models.

Just what was "special" about them will likely remain a mystery, I guess. (Adds to the Singer mystique :) ).

dikman,

Singer used the SV notation in the model number plate for special versions of that particular sewing machine. The changes could be anything from one or two different screws, bearing vs. bushings, to a total change. You never knew. There was very little if any paperwork on the SV machines. Some became later models in production. To my knowledge, I have never seen an instruction manual or parts list for the SV models.

glenn

Thanks glenn. I was rather hoping that Constabulary's new-found paperwork might shed some light on it, but that now sounds extremely unlikely. In my case the 111W152 appears to be the same, but in reading the manual I've realised it could be a 152, 153 or 154! I now have to try and set the foot adjustments according to the manual and try and work out the max lift, which may give me an indication just which model it is.

All of which raises the question - without an instruction manual, how could anyone ever adjust them???

Great find! :thumbsup: well done folker, and thanks for sharing. would love to see some of these goodies! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: please? :clapping: