teched

Singer 111W1555 Serial Number Year Id

Hello folks! Well after months of searching and researching I finaly found a 111w155 complete about 3 hours from my house. $250.00 later and it was mine. It came with some info that tends to make me want to believe its around a 1963, but would like to know for sure. The serial number is PB 1508042. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks -Ed

post-65947-0-74999100-1453663053_thumb.j

post-65947-0-58624700-1453663182_thumb.j

Teched, it's extremely difficult to date W series machines (made at Bridgeport, USA) because there doesn't appear to be any surviving records for them. If you can download a manual, and it has a print date, then that's probably about the best you can do.

Just enjoy it, knowing that you have a lovely old Singer.

Edited by dikman

I heard all the records were lost in a fire. Were all the "w" machines made in Bridgeport? I have a letter from Singer addres to the original owner dated 1963. It was in response to the PO wanting a quote. Singer wrote that a 111w155 would be good for him and could be purchase delivered and set up for $516.65 I believe that this letter is referencing my machine that he eventually purchased. Just thought I could get the actual year of production. You are right I love the machine and will continue no matter what year it is. Thanks

Most of the serial numbers beginning with PB were issued to machines coming out of the Karlsruhe Germany factory in the late 50s and early 60s. Most of those numbers that I’ve seen only have 6 numbers following the PB (PBxxxxxx), while yours has 7. I also think that most of those similar PB machines were 111G models, instead of 111W. It’s interesting that you have a PB machine that has a 111W155 tag as well.

I have machine number PB157568, a Singer 111G156, that I have dated to 1959. I’m not sure how accurate my dating might be.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer

Singer Letter.pdfThanks, I received an original Instruction manual, parts book and a letter from the Previous owner. He is a good friend of the original purchaser who's company this letter is addressed. The PO believes that the machine was purchased soon after the letter was written and therefore the machine is close to this date. It is interesting about the German production. I attached a PDF of the letter I have. When did the Bridgeport Factory burn?

1960's must have been towards the end of the production run for the 111x155 series in some factories. There are apparently some hybrid or mix&match Singers out there, too. Singer perhaps consolidated parts stock from factories that closed or changed production lines around the world to be use in the remaining factories for the 111, like shipping leftover flatbed parts form the Karlsruhe, Germany factory with a PB serial number to the US and then mated it to 111W155 heads in Bridgeport.

Accounting for inflation, that $515 cost for the Singer in 1963 is just under $4,000 in today's money. That was and still is a good chunk of money for a sewing machine, so the $250 used price is a bargain.

That is a HUGE motor on that machine!

@ teched

if you don´t mind can you make a PDF file from your original manual and parts list? Documentation for these machines are available but quality is quite poor most of the time. I think a lot of folks would be really grateful. :)

My 111G156 has a W prefix serial number so the housing was made in Bridgeport but machine was assembled in Karlsruhe, Germany.

The badge on your machine makes it a 1960´s made machine though AFAIK the 211 predecessor were made in the 1950´s already.

With some luck I can pick up a 212 (double needle) tomorrow and if I´m right it has a 1950´s type Singer badge. So Uwe´s theory could be correct I think.

post-31854-0-30843700-1453748531_thumb.j

I'm always learning something new. What Uwe said makes sense, considering that Singer back then was a world-wide conglomerate. It probably made perfect sense to ship parts every which way just to make up machines. The fact that there were different metal threads used by different countries on their nuts and bolts could make such machines "interesting"!

I noticed that motor too. My 51W59 came with an original Singer motor, which is big but doesn't appear to be as large as this one! Teched, any chance you could post a couple of photos of the motor?

dikman; I have the same motor on a 111, and it is 1/2 hp @ 3450 rpm. It takes 10 mins. to stop turning after turning it off and can't be stalled when sewing.

This is also the first time I've seen one of those lube pots on top of an actual 111W155 machine. They seemed like mystical devices that only existed in parts diagrams.

Uwe, one of those pots came with my 111WSV77 (appears to be the same as a 111W153). It took me a while to figure out how it was supposed to fit the machine! I gather they normally only came on 155's?

Gump, that's a monster motor! I thought their motors normally ran at 1725 rpm, yours must have gobs of torque!!

Thank you all for your help. You guys ROCK! The motor is a biggy. I havent been able to find any help to get the table/motor up stairs to my sewing room. My wife helped me get it off the truck, but she aint big enough to help me mussle it stairs. As soon as I get it together I will be needing some more help. I will glady make a clean PDF of my manuals.

Thank you all for your help. You guys ROCK! The motor is a biggy. I havent been able to find any help to get the table/motor up stairs to my sewing room. My wife helped me get it off the truck, but she aint big enough to help me mussle it stairs. As soon as I get it together I will be needing some more help. I will glady make a clean PDF of my manuals.

Picts didn't attach for some reason. trying again.

post-65947-0-03016300-1453810390_thumb.j

post-65947-0-40938300-1453810422_thumb.j

post-65947-0-85782500-1453810446_thumb.j

post-65947-0-02813300-1453810489_thumb.j

post-65947-0-02797200-1453810511_thumb.j

Here are some more including the serial number

post-65947-0-03272200-1453811055_thumb.j

post-65947-0-42997100-1453811074_thumb.j

post-65947-0-74671200-1453811102_thumb.j

I am looking for the clamp that holds the light to the ball on the back of the machine. Maybe one of you guys have one lying around, if not I will make something for now.

teched,

I would replace the light with a new LED light. Those Singer lights never gave off much light to begin with. I may have a few in my shop. Also, blow the dust and lint out of the motor. It is packed in there pretty good according to the pictures you posted. Those model of Singer clutch motors are like tanks and will run forever if you take care of them. Great Find!

glenn

Thanks for the cleaning sugestion. I planned on giving a good cleaning one I get it moved to my sewing room. Some people were asking about the pulley sizes. The motor pulley is 3" and the machine pulley is 3.25" So pretty much direct drive. The guy a bought it from, got it from the original owner. The original owner is 82 years old. I am really thinking about contacting him for some history on the machine. He was involved in an accident a "few" years ago and didn't used the machine again. I hate to bother him, but he would probaly know everything I would want to know.

I´m sure I have a clamp but not the one for the ball, I have one that clamps the arm the cable goes through - I will look for it tomorrow.

You also can replace the bulb with and LED bulb - I did that on my Singer lamps as well - works fine - nice bright light.

Edited by Constabulary

I just made a clamp that works for know, but you never know if someone has one around. I was thinking LED bulb would be great.

You did real well with that deal, it looks pretty clean considering its age! Plus all the other bits and pieces AND manuals (I've never seen one for the light, which I have on one of mine), a rarity in itself. I'd be very interested in a good scan of the manual, as it covers the 153 (which I think one of mine is).

My scanner at work is better than mt homes, so I will do it there. Give me a couple of days, but I will get it done. I am always looking for manuals and appreciate the time and effort people put into scanning them and then letting us have them for free. It kills me that most of the machines I work on (Cars, motorcycles, tractors etc... are over 30 years old and there are people out there trying to sell you a manual. Anyone who has any Patriotism would appreciate the effort it takes to keep these symbols of American Industry alive. :asoapbox:

I'm with you.

I'm looking forward to seeing those manuals in all their glorious details myself. Thanks for working on a good quality PDF scan of those documents.

I'd be happy to help by hosting large PDF files on my server, in case they turn out to be too large for direct LW forum uploads. I can also run OCR on the PDF files to make them text searchable, in case your scanning setup doesn't have that capability.

Edited by Uwe

Awsome! I will get the scans done ASAP, as see what quality I can produce.

I just made a clamp that works for know, but you never know if someone has one around. I was thinking LED bulb would be great.

This is the clamp I have it´s original Singer and came with my 133K3

If you are interested please send me a PM

post-31854-0-48571500-1453912002_thumb.j

post-31854-0-11949700-1453912005_thumb.j

post-31854-0-53851100-1453912006_thumb.j

Thanks for the picts. I would like to find one that clamps to the ball. I have made a clamp that will work for now. I appreciate your effort at finding one.