Beret

Tooled & Handpainted Dog Collars

Hi all!

My website is finally up and running, and I've been pretty busy. The panels are tooled in veg tan, then hand painted and finished and mounted to a latigo or bridle bass with solid brass hardware. I do all the design work and patternmaking in AI and then make my patterns

Right now, I'm running about a 4 month wait list and working on developing the business model a bit more. Currently shopping around for makers stamps and presses to stamp the collar tongue. Would love any input! Very interested in the Hex N Hit stamps out of Thailand.

http://www.bullyflop.com/

Thanks!

1929963_568708126612967_5866432977683574

12540522_568695629947550_431639227283282

11836702_515846055232508_782826879019718

12294738_551879038295876_247288925854315

10502043_489904001160047_117583294311600

11295692_485338394949941_376125945062422

12347724_551860321631081_864970654926196

Those look fantastic. With regards to stamps I've used http://lwleathers.com/ for a few and been very happy with the results. Quick turn around, great quality. I personally use a 2 ton arbor press to stamp with and it works beautifully for me plus it allows for super easy riveting and snap install.

Those look fantastic. With regards to stamps I've used http://lwleathers.com/ for a few and been very happy with the results. Quick turn around, great quality. I personally use a 2 ton arbor press to stamp with and it works beautifully for me plus it allows for super easy riveting and snap install.

Great to know! I've been poking around those presses a bit. Do you use it primarily with veg tanned, or have you tried it on a latigo or bridle-type too? That's my primary concern... Getting in the supplies and having the stamp done, only to have it not make enough of the impression in the more heavily-oiled leathers. I use 9/10oz latigo and double shoulder bridle from Zack White.

Edited by Beret

I use it to press our logo onto quite a few things. I went upstairs and stamped 3 pieces of leather for you and snapped a pic on my phone.

The top one is a latigo strip from tandy.

The middle is a piece of bridle leather from Abbey England

The bottom one is a piece of bridle leather from RJF (Who advertises on the forum)

You can see that the latigo and the RJF sample easily took the stamp, the middle one which is the most heavily waxed of the three didn't take as well. I didn't heat the stamp, I literally just slapped it all in the press and pulled hard. If I'd heated it the stamp would have taken even better.

If you do get an arbor press get at least a 2 ton.

post-56250-0-05417200-1453737625_thumb.j

That's really the step I've been trying to tackle at this point. That and combating this weekend case of developing carpal tunnel. Apparently hands and wrists don't appreciate 9 hours of straight tooling and painting in an afternoon 3 days in a row. Go figure.

Edited by Beret

My girlfriend is the one who does tooling, I can but I really have neither the patience nor the dexterity for it. Too many years of powerlifting I guess.

First rate work.

Thank you! That means a lot.

My girlfriend is the one who does tooling, I can but I really have neither the patience nor the dexterity for it. Too many years of powerlifting I guess.

Sounds like a pretty solid deal.

My man thing's contribution to my work is letting me take over a bedroom as studio space.

Beautiful collars!

These are awesome and imaginative. Thanks for the pictures!

Your painting is amazing may I ask what type of paint you use?

very nice

Thank you all!

Your painting is amazing may I ask what type of paint you use?

Thank you! I use a combination of Angelus and Eco-Flo, depending on what I need the consistency to be. I will mix/blend the two together as well. I've found that I get better opaque coverage with Angelus, but eco flo blends better for gradients, etc. My metallics are eco-flo and then for some, I do some light antiquing over the paint with either the dark brown or black antique gel. I finish with fiebings acrylic resolene top coat.

Very refreshing to see original design work. ~Clap~Clap~Clap~

Edit: But if you tell me you've only been at it for six months I'm gonna smack ya. ;-)

Edited by cseeger

Very refreshing to see original design work. ~Clap~Clap~Clap~

Edit: But if you tell me you've only been at it for six months I'm gonna smack ya. ;-)

Ha! Been at it about 2 years, have been selling for about a year, but I've grown the business over the past 6 months months so... Still a pup, yeah. But my crazy dog people niche is all over it.

And... thank you. I put A LOT of time etc into the design work.

Very nice work . If you are looking for a press to do the end of your collars look in to a self centering press and you can have the cutter made any way that you like. This is how we do our belt's . https://youtu.be/volr1-kqK5E

Thanks so much guys. This is what's on my desk right now... Carved, edges are burnished, just waiting on some color before being mounted to the base,

12654531_573080219509091_798424401418223

Your work is great.

I however would be careful with copyrighted material. The movie studios don't mess around.

Your work is great.

I however would be careful with copyrighted material. The movie studios don't mess around.

Thanks, yeah I've spoke with a couple attorneys about it and the general consensus is essentially that as every piece is individually designed for and commissioned by the buyer, the onus can be thought to primarily fall on them, each is a one-off and that the pieces are intentionally transformative enough to be, in general, ok. But I agree, it's a sticky area,

I don't think you'd have any trouble if you don't include any of the key names in the description.