stoner14

Juki Lu-1508 Walking Foot

Hi folks, new to the form and have a few questions I hope someone can help me with. I have been sewing for years and have my own shop with several industrial machines. Recently I picked up a Juki LU-1508 walking foot at an auction. It is in need of repair and a few replacement parts. My husband who is quite handy has it up and running, but he does have a few quetions/concerns. One is on the oiling/lubrication set-up. As the model I have is the LU-1508 ( I am assuming it is the base model as it does not have any letter following the number, it is not an N or the H or the NH etc, just the 1508) it does not have the automatic oil setup. In the manual my husband down loaded it shows lubrication on page 25 in figure 46 and explains it on page 47. I have included the 2 pages here. Does anyone know where this Oil reservior they are talking about, is it under the top cover and towards the front as that is the only oil felt that I can see (it is round) ??. Also in the 3rd and 4th pictures I included (one is a diagram and one is the detailed list) it shows a oiling setup in the base pan. My base pan has some of the oiling parts, but some were broken when it was dropped in the crate. How does this work, From what I see in the parts diagram, I am assuming an oil bottle was attached to the bottom of the pan and a wick from the bottom of the sewing head (I do see a wick sticking down in that area) was dipped into the oil bottle it wicked up the oil into the head, can someone confirm this or tell me how it worked, or does anyone have a picture of it.

I thank anyone who can provide info/insight. I can't wait to get this beast up and running

Happy Sewing from Canada

Sharon

Sew Bee It

post-69474-0-20216000-1453822330_thumb.p

post-69474-0-80899900-1453822335_thumb.p

post-69474-0-00833200-1453822342_thumb.p

post-69474-0-07869000-1453822353_thumb.p

The oil "bottle" hanging form the oil pan usually collects excess oil AFAIK.

some machines have an oil reservoir in the hook saddle meaning the hook gears or hook shaft are running in an oil bath / reservoir and often some wicks are coming from this oil bath and lead to certain oil spots.

Post a picture of the underside of your machine that may be helpful.

On the Juki LU-563, there are similar parts to the ones numbered 14 (pan) and 15 (felt pad), which are nailed in place in the drip tray directly under the lower bushing of the hook assembly. It is in contact with the oil saturated felt, and inside this bearing housing, the shaft has a section of machined spiral grooves which create a slow flow of oil to the hook area. I have no idea if that is exactly how the 1508 is designed, but the parts have similarities.

-DC

The hook part number is identical for Juki LU-563 and LU-1508 (B1830-563-0A0), so the hook oiling mechanism is likely the same. The bottom of the hook shaft/bushing dips into the oil bath and sucks up oil via the grooves in the hook shaft. It lubricates the hook and flings the excess oils sideways against splash shields surrounding the hook area, from where the oils drips back down into the oil bath pan. The felt pad or sponge in the pan is supposed to keep the oil from sloshing around in the oil pan and also acts as a filter to catch bits of thread and fabric that may fall down to keep them from getting sucked into the hook shaft. Whether this actually works at slow leather sewing speeds is another questions. It's designed to work running a full speed, I suspect. The little oil bottle that screws to the bottom of the big drip pan that covers the entire bottom is just collecting excess oil that may drip down from oiling all the other spots that need lubrication on the machine (other than the hook).

A pdf copy of the LU-1500N Engineer's Manual that has a bit more detail on lubrication is attached.

Would you please attach a copy of the manual you used.

LU-1500N Engineer's Manual.pdf

Edited by Tejas

There's also a version of the Engineer manual for the Juki LU-1508 (not "N" or "NH"). I'm not sure what the difference really is to N or NH version, or if they matter for your particular issue, but it's always nice to have good quality manuals for your exact machine. Juki has a really good online presence with high quality service manuals - gotta give them props for that.

And here's a pic

post-14272-0-96669800-1453912237_thumb.j

Thanks to all who replied. The manual I am using is the one mentioned in the responses above (someone asked for it). After reading what was posted and looking at the manual, I am pretty confident in saying this is how it is on the 1508 as well. I will get a sponge and make a pan and put it in place. Nor worried about the oil bottle, I will keep an eye on it and get something if there is that much drip or run off in the base pan. Thanks to all who provided info and responded

Sharon

Stoner,

I may have an extra pan for a 1508. Let me check. Where are you located?

glenn

thanks shopatcher,

Do you mean the front oil drip pan that goes underneath(I do have the main long pan, but not the smaller oil drip pan that theb sponge goes in in the front). I am located in Canada at postal code A0A 3W0. I also need a few other parts, any chance you have some used parts for this machine as new ones seem to be through the roof

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Stoner14! Question does the machine bottom have some stand bolts, I wonder if it has them, probably does.

Its possible another pan will work that's not as deep, and reason I Stopped to say, is I find on mine my knees are to dang close.

Not like the 1541 I have with its shorter/shallow pan, something Gregg would be able to answer better.

I know if I had a pan that the knee lever hole was the proper place and shallow, I would be using it as 2-1/4 is better than 4-1/4 deep.

but I just push back, but anyhow any pan is way better than none, hope something comes up for ya soon.

I think you will be totally happy when things get all setup, so best luck there

Good day

Floyd