HVLW

Where Is The Best Place To Get Sewing Machine Thread?

Hello,

I was purely a hand stitcher until I got my CB3200 recently. I am very confused about thread for machines. What should I look for? I want highest quality possible in a variety of colors. Also, is there a size sample card anywhere? I have no idea as to size codings I am seeing. Thanks

I get mine from Toledo Industrial Sewing supply, Bob Kovar.

The thread exchange: www.thethreadexchange.com

Does anyone know where to get Coats Dabond thread in Peasant Beige? I used to get it from Ferdco but haven't been able to find a source since they quit. Thanks Ken

I get my bonded nylon and sometimes polyester thread from several suppliers. They include the following:

• Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines
  • Superior Thread
  • Campbell-Randall
  • Weaver Leather
  • The Thread Exchange
  • Wawak Sewing
  • Threadsrus
  • Various eBay sellers who have the size and color I need for a job

I buy various sizes of bonded thread, ranging from #69 through 346. I have the most color options with #69, followed by #92. Between those sizes I probably have 24 different colors or shades.

I don't use #138 as often and only stock about 6 colors in that size.

#207 gets used a lot in my Cowboy CB4500 and I am always looking for new colors to buy. My most awesome find was three one pound spools of #207 in Harley orange. All together, I guess I have at least a dozen colors and shades in 207.

Once you get into #277, the color choices shrink considerably. Still, I have managed to obtain about 10 colors/shades in that size.

#346 is a challenge to find in colors. Fortunately, I have been able to get about 8 different colors, including silver.

I would like to mention that the primary brand of thread I get from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines is their own Cowboy bonded nylon. It is prelubricated and bonded. But, the best thing about it is that various color codes match across all available sizes. I can choose a shade of brown and buy it in all sizes they have (say from #69 through #277) and they are all the exact same shade of that color.

Maybe this needle and thread size chart will help you. I buy Cowboy bonded nylon thread from there too in various sizes and colors/shades of brown.

Thank you for all of your replies to my questions Wizcrafts! I have some brown, black, and white from Toledo, however they do not have the other colors I need (royal blue, bright red, yellow, etc). What would you say is the most popular size for wallets, small purses, accent on 1" dress belts, etc...?

Ken, Perfect Fit has T90 Coats Ultra Dee in Peasant Beige (and a ton of other colors). Star is very similar to their Dabond line: http://perfectfit.com/15355/154563/Thread-and-Bobbins/Coats-Bonded-Polyester-Thread--4-oz-Spools----Size-DB--92.html

I've been talking to A&E about ordering directly from them. I received a cotton/poly color chart and quotes for a lightweight project, but haven't ordered yet (and still need to see what their minimums are). I also plan on trying their Anefil Poly to see how it compares to the Coats I use. It's available in T16 to 700. :)

http://www.amefird.com/products-brands/industrial-sewing-thread/

HVLW, I think the T90 from Coats above would be fine for wallets -- it depends on how much you want the thread to pop. I'd say wallets: T70 - T90; purses: T90 - T135, but maybe heavier for decorative topstitching and type of leather/fabric used.