Chief Filipino

Rounder Cutting Tool

Does anyone know of a cutting tool for cutting circles out of leather besides a die cutter? I would like one tool that can adjust to various sizes but can also cut 7/8 oz leather. I bought one circle cutter but it doesn't have a large enough blade to cut through the leather without flipping the piece over. I don't know if it exists and Ive thought of rigging up my own somehow....

Here you go..........check this video out.

Get a circular hole saw the size you need and grind the teeth off to a sharp edge. I use them with my clicker press if I don't want a centre hole and on the hole saw mandrel in my drill press if I don't care if there is a hole in the centre. I'm pretty sure you could also tap it through with a mallet.

A Leather washer cutter may do the job here are a couple of links.

You may find cheaper versions just google Leather washer cutters.

Hope this helps

John

http://www.boothandco.com/shop/item.php?prodID=94

http://www.generaltools.com/washer-and-gasket-cutter.html

Awesome! Thank you all!

I like the low tech but I'm not sure how well that will work with thicker leathers.... I will try it on some scrap and see how it comes out.

The gasket cutter looks fun to play with!

hey Chief, how did those Tabi you made work out?

Hi Kiwi they are holding up amazingly well! The only thing that needs work is that some of the stitching has come apart but the saddle stitch is holding. I'll go back soon and restitch thoe parts. I've been wanting to make a second pair but haven't found the same deer skin remnants. I bought some thinner deer skin to make some indoor ones soon. Thanks for asking! I've used them once a week for a few hours of pretty rough use. They could use another round of dye.

Oh wait I forgot that I used a whip stitch not a saddle stitch for the soles.

post-67080-0-50465300-1456978645_thumb.j

post-67080-0-92257400-1456978656_thumb.j

Id like to give these a try, i have some deer and moose id like to try with, i hear moose is great for moccasins so Im going try a pair of them first.

Awesome! If you need, this is the link that I used to help guide me through the process. Then I just kinda did some guess work, weird measuring with splitting the toes.

Mistakes helped me come up with some ideas to make it better for my next round: 1. Find a better way to get the sole to be flatter for the crepe rubber to stick to. 2. Use a larger hide instead of scraps to help with uniformity of uppers heights. 3. Cut my soles better lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jiJ4qsdVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zcpUz3Q6Fo

I know that these are not adjustable but I had a couple of large (6-7 inches) sizes that I needed to cut repeatededly so I rummaged around til I found pieces of steel pipe the right sizes and took them to a machine shop and had them ground and heat treated into clicker dies and I use them in a press. for smaller sizes in lighter stuff, I use the hole saw method, leaving the drill bit out to cut a rounder and in to cut a hole. necessity was the mother of invention, crude though it might be

I actually like that idea Oltoot! I could easily find some pipe and grind it down. I don't know that I'd take it so far as to heat treat though. I might just try one and use a board and hammer/rubber mallet to pound it. Thanks!

here is a tool for cutting circles. In is supposed to work on leather too.  I bought one about two years ago but not sure if it is the same brand. It looks similar though. 

http://m.misterart.com/tools/paper-trimmers/lion-ev-r-round-circle-cutter.html

Hope this helps. 

Huh.  This gave me an idea to try out.  I work at a frame shop and have access to an oval hole mat cutter.  It's adjustable to make ovals/circles, but with a 45 degree beveled edge.  I probably could figure out a way to cut straight edges with it too, I'm going to experiment a bit with it.