Constabulary

Singer 29K S.V. 3 Cobbler Leather Sewing Maschine

Last weekend I found this 29K (built in 1905) and figured the tag says 29 K.S.V 3 - so obviously a Special Version (or variant) of the 29K cobbler machine.

The only obvious difference compared with a 29K3 is that the 29K S.V. 3 has two threaded holes in the lower arm. This most likely is for attaching a binder attachment. I have no proof for this but I guess the threads are for a binder attachment.

I just wanted to share some pictures because there are not many of them around and even on Needlebar.org or ISMACS I wasn't able to find further information.

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3324.thumb.JPG.77163d513b54ab057c330

IMG_3314.thumb.JPG.3d0cdc42f0ea6d019e270

IMG_3316.thumb.JPG.634fa003978a1719ef261

IMG_3317.thumb.JPG.58341b2b3374fb092af3f

IMG_3318.thumb.JPG.f6a58a2f2f5c6b787f8b6

IMG_3320.thumb.JPG.2af913d67360771a00591

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you..

That brings a smile to the morning.. Compared with my recently aquired ( waiting for restoration ) 29K51* ( built 1928 ) and which was the only machine of a Breton cobbler ( I bought it from his family, straight out of his tiny workshop )..I'm curious, what is the flat bar and wing-nut assembly that runs at the back from the middle of the arm to the needle "gubbins" for ?

*Bought as a result of seeing your posts and reading your "sig"..

The flat bar & wing nut is how they get the pressure foot pressure on these older models,your 28K51 has the different newer style coil spring.

Constabulary,I do see a adjusting screw on the take up lever that none of the 29-3&4 usually have maybe this is why it's a SV?Of course it could of been added through the years as a replacement part too.

Bob, I think you mean the small screw on the backside down left of the foot lifting lever, right? That screw is holding a spring that pushes against the foot lifting lever to hold it in place. You have to push down the lever to lift the foot. I have seen that on other 29K1, 29K3 and 29K4 as well.

Edited by Constabulary

48 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Bob, I think you mean the small screw on the backside down left of the foot lifting lever, right? That screw is holding a spring that pushes against the foot lifting lever to hold it in place. You have to push down the lever to lift the foot. I have seen that on other 29K1, 29K3 and 29K4 as well.

I think Bob is referring to the screw sticking out of the barrel adjuster on the backside of the take-up lever. It wasn't there on any 29-4 I have owned. It came along in later generations and adds forced lift to the take-up.

Hi Folker, do you mean the braid holder?? i think the braid holder #81912 with the two braid bobbins #81909 was clamped on with a bent pin and thumb nut #287d and #81913 according to the parts list? the binders on these machines look as if the are no bigger than the needle plate. #85675 would probably go right in front of the needle on the combined feed dog and needle plate #81933 or #81925?? just a thought? it could have been for a material gude of some kind??

I always have 29K on mind and don`t even think of the 29 w/o the K suffix - sorry! That screw (thread take up adjuster) is pretty common - at least over here. Not sure when they have introduced it. I think the very early 29 and / or 29K came w/o this screw.

Is that long flat bar "spring steel" ? That would fit in with what I take Bob to be talking about..( and would make sense re the "difference" Bob mentioned, between Constabulary's machine and my 29K51 re foot pressure )..Looks like it can slide through the fitting where the wing nut is..and that the amount of "spring" can be adjusted by the large thumbscrew ( near the "pivot" ) in the middle of the top arm casting..

The "bar" is spring steel and the earlier 29 / 29K all have them. I 'm sure Bob knows this type of spring very well. All ADLER class 30 patchers up to to current day have them. BTW - Adler class 30 and singer 29 / 29K are using the same spring - it is interchangeable. The 29K51 is the first one with helical spring. So all Singer patchers from 29K51 onward have this helical / coil spring and the earlier models have the blade spring.

I have stolen this comparison chart from needlebar.org - see attachment.

singer 29K class comparisons v02.pdf

Thanks :) That is really useful..as are the pictures of the back of the machine..Here in France there is a sort of "Craigslist".it's name is "le Bon Coin" ( Translates to "the good corner" ) ..no-one ever shows the back of the machines in the adverts, ( and most of the pictures of the industrial machines for sale are taken to include the entire stand, so you can't make out any detail of the head part above the stand, and are often blurry ) and frequently they don't give the model type, nor any details such as close-ups of the presser feet and needle areas..

The more I learn about machines from people here, the more fascinating I find them and the whole subject of the effects and influences of sewing machines on and in society and history..:)

Edited by mikesc

3 hours ago, jimi said:

Hi Folker, do you mean the braid holder?? i think the braid holder #81912 with the two braid bobbins #81909 was clamped on with a bent pin and thumb nut #287d and #81913 according to the parts list? the binders on these machines look as if the are no bigger than the needle plate. #85675 would probably go right in front of the needle on the combined feed dog and needle plate #81933 or #81925?? just a thought? it could have been for a material gude of some kind??

Hi Jimi, sorry haven't noticed your post earlier. Sorry I don´t have all the parts number on mind so a picture would probably help. I have not checked all the parts lists. You are probably right I guess you mean this one #81914 or have you something else on mind?

Bild11.jpg

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

That screw (thread take up adjuster) is pretty common - at least over here. Not sure when they have introduced it. I think the very early 29 and / or 29K came w/o this screw.

Hi,

I have it on a 29K1 of 1904.

Greets

Ralf C.

SIL10-2753-060a.jpgHi Folker,Yes that is the one, you can see the clamp almost in between the two bobbins? or maybe the two screws for the bobbins pass through the plate and into the arm?? the binder is on the opposite page you posted. maybe some day someone will find some information about the SV versions and what they were intended for??

Edited by jimi

Very nice! Thats how information can be gathered together. :) But regarding the PDF comparison list the 29K17 has top and bottom feed (seems to be an attachment for bottom feed) and it is a short arm too so I wonder what the difference between the 29KS.V.3 and 29K17 could be. Maybe the 29KSV3 is just a predecessor of the 29K17 before it later became a "standard" machine.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/2753/

Hi Folker, here is the link for the full catalouge if anybody is interested. yes maybe it was just called the 29k17 or the 29k22 after??

DSC_0164.JPGDSC_0165.JPG

here is the binder and the two top and bottom feed options. (this one is on my make list)

here is the link for the parts book for the singer 29k if anyone is interested. did you buy this sv3 machine??

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS1/29K1%20TO%20K4,K10%20TO%20K18,K12%20TO%20K23,K30%20TO%20K33.pdf

Yes, the 29KSV3 is mine. I just disassembled it for restoration. But I have to make 1 machine out of 2 because both have serious issues. I have another 29K3 (w/o SV). So if someone wants the empty 29KSV3 casting drop me a note. I will take the 29K3 casting as base for the new machine.

Not to go off topic ... But LOOK at the prices on those machines in the margin of the catalog that Jimi posted.   I'll take one of those for 40 bucks!

Bill