tonyc1

Christmas Dinner

How many people will be sitting down for dinner in your house on Christmas Day and who will cook it, husband or wife?

Merry Christmas to everyone and may Santa bring you what you want.

Tony.

good topic there will be 14 in my house big crowd, my mom and sisters are cooking and two of them are pros so it is good.

Josh

Edited by jbird

In my family, all the guests (men and women, anyone outside the immediate family) are served upon by members of the family (men and women). Of course this is all powered by liberal quantities of board and card games, movies, wine, and ale. Holidays are outrageous fun at our place!

Kate

good topic there will be 14 in my house big crowd, my mom and sisters are cooking and two of them are pros so it is good. Josh
The term "Pros" means something totally different down here,Josh!!!Tony.
In my family, all the guests (men and women, anyone outside the immediate family) are served upon by members of the family (men and women). Of course this is all powered by liberal quantities of board and card games, movies, wine, and ale. Holidays are outrageous fun at our place!Kate
It does sound like fun, Kate.Tony.

My mother-in-law is cooking. *sigh* I'll have a Clif bar in my purse just in case.

My mother-in-law is cooking. *sigh* I'll have a Clif bar in my purse just in case.

Tasha, what is a Clif Bar?

Tony.

Just sharing some traditions with you all

Here in the US we have a potluck.

There's so many of us so that's the most sensible thing to do. My husband always makes our part, my American cocking is not something I'm good at all :helpsmilie:

I have to say that this time of the year I do long to get to my side of the family, it's hard to be away from kids and grandkids...I thought I might show you some pictures of a couple of typical Swedish X-mas tables, so called smorgasbord (meaning sandwich table) We celebrate x-mas on the 24th

You'll find the star of the table being the semi salted ham, then meatballs, pickled herring in many flavors, smoked salmon, graved salmon, ribs, smoked lamb, sausages, eggs and million more...And my absolute favvo, Jansons temptation, a gratin with potatoes, onion, loads of cream and a specially flavored anchovies.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone:-)

julbord_s_s.jpg

blidan_julbord07_skinka.jpg

post-5624-1229758482_thumb.jpg

post-5624-1229758495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tina

Tasha, what is a Clif Bar?

Tony.

Clif Bars are all-natural organic energy bars, and mostly very good. Even the ones I don't care for are pretty decent, but so far my favorite is the Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch. They're great to keep on hand when you don't get to eat a proper meal... and no one will ever hire my mother-in-law as a personal chef.

There's so many of us so that's the most sensible thing to do. My husband always makes our part, my American cocking is not something I'm good at all :helpsmilie:

I have to say that this time of the year I do long to get to my side of the family, it's hard to be away from kids and grandkids...I thought I might show you some pictures of a couple of typical Swedish X-mas tables, so called smorgasbord (meaning sandwich table) We celebrate x-mas on the 24th

You'll find the star of the table being the semi salted ham, then meatballs, pickled herring in many flavors, smoked salmon, graved salmon, ribs, smoked lamb, sausages, eggs and million more...And my absolute favvo, Jansons temptation, a gratin with potatoes, onion, loads of cream and a specially flavored anchovies.

Nice smörgåsbord!!!

God jul på dig Storesyrran!!!

Tom

That food sounds absolutely delicious, Tina. I would love all of that.

Tony.

Well I finally found a computer for 5 min.

There will be a couple of hundred sitting at the table for xmas dinner. I bet the cooks go all out and do us proud.

Barra

Well I finally found a computer for 5 min.

There will be a couple of hundred sitting at the table for xmas dinner. I bet the cooks go all out and do us proud.

Barra

You don't have to do the washing up,do you Barra?

Tony.

You don't have to do the washing up,do you Barra?

Tony.

Oh God no. Done my time dixie bashing. That is why they invented Troops.

Barra

I'll be in Ohio with the inlaws. Don't know yet what the meal will be, but as for amount of people: if there's 10, that'll be alot. I miss the old days with my mom's family: there were about 30 of us then! That was alot of fun, teasing each other and grandmom's wonderful cooking. I think I miss her ambrosia most of all (a side dish with mini marshmallows, coconut, mandarin oranges and a really yummy cream all over it...never made it myself)

Nice smörgåsbord!!!

God jul på dig Storesyrran!!!

Tom

En riktigt Go' Jul på du med :wave: Nästa jul hoppas jag vara "hemma" med ungar och hela kalaset.

We were wanting to not go anywhere this Christmas. For all the 30 yrs. my wife and I have been together, we always have been away from our home Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Last year we decided that this year 2008, that we weren't going anywhere for the holidays. Well you know the best laid plans of mice and men are doomed to fail. Some really bad personal stuff went on at my mother-in-laws and my wife's sisters place. My sister-in-law hasen't worked since late summer, so naturally things are pretty tight money wise for them. The only income is Mom's SS, so we decided that we are gonna cook Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, load up the food and try and get to her mom's house bye 12 noon or so and provide dinner for them. My wife does most of the cooking, but I'll be frying a turkey and she makes me make the dressing. I didn't tell her, but I bought 8 cornish hens and I'm gonna deep fry them after I cook the turkey. If you've never had the fried cornish hen, that might be something to try sometime. Just cook the same way as the turkey and the same amount of time per lb. of meat. Another thing we do is get a standing rib roast, I'll season it, wrap it tight in alum. foil and let it sit and marinate for at least a day, but 2 days are better. Then deep fry it at about 375 F for 3 and1/2 min per lb. You will have well done, medium rare, and rare all in the one cut and it's good too, at least we like it. Anyway wishing everone a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year from us to all of you. Billy P

The in-laws will be over for dinner. :head_hurts_kr:

You know the difference between in-laws and out-laws?

Outlaws are WANTED!

As to cooking, I do the majority of it. (Turkey doesn't fit in the microwave, so the wife can't figure that out.) Anything cooking wise that takes patience becomes my job. Homemade rolls, turkey, etc.

Clean-up will also probably be my job as well. And, if tradition holds, as I'm tossing pans into the cupboard and mumbling various oaths about just how in the h*** I got stuck doing all that work, my wife will walk in and complain that I'm making too much noise.

Tradition is what it is.

First we'll go to my mom in-laws for lunch. There will probably be around ten people there. She will fix a ham, mash potatoes and gravy, greenbean casserole, cheese grits and some pies. Me and the wife will take some candied yams. Her mom always has a real nice sit down around the table kinda of lunches and suppers which are nice. Then later that day we'll go to my moms side and it will be a pot luck. Counting kids probably 35 to 45 people. My wife will make some pecan pies to take. And it's a whole different deal eating at one of my family meals there ain't nothing organized about them. The first time I took the wife to one when we were dating I figured she would say there ain't no way in heck I'm marring into that family. But it's worked out. And either Christmas Eve or a day after Christmas we'll cook a ham at the house with all the fixing and have her dad and his girlfriend over. And I need to run down home(Okla.) and see my dad and two brothers down there. Most of his side of the family is down there. And by this point I'm ready for the Holidays to be over.

Mike

Smorgasbord sounds good. I'm crashing Tina's place!

In reality, I'll cook. Deb and I are both self employed so she does the housework and I do most of the cooking and washing up.

It'll just be the two of us and Pete, our cat.

I'm preparing smoked salmon and champagne to start, the main is a roast duck, maple syrup roasted parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots julienne. To follow, some fantastic Brie and fruit. Yum.

Have a fantastic Christmas everyone.

Karl

Smorgasbord sounds good. I'm crashing Tina's place!

Karl

i second that...thats exactly my kinda party tina :cheers:

everyone have a very merry christmas & all your crew...enjoy & be safe y'all!!!

darryl

its christmas morning here,...off for lunch at my brothers house this year (we take it in turns) with all the family...seafood is the go here...prawns, crayfish. etc...we have given up on a hot lunch, the weather is usually to hot to go that way.. best wishes to everyone

It'll be beef filets and Crown SR at our place...not necessarily in that order! I sure have met some great folks in the short time I've been here at LW and I value the friendship...so here's a toast to all of you!

May you never lose a stirrup.

May you never waste a loop.

May your can stay full of syrup,

And your gizzard full of whoop!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

From our outfit to yours

Edited by hidepounder

We are just getting all ready for Christmas Breakfast at 9am. Sausages, eggs and bacon, mushrooms, onion, bacon and finely sliced liver, fried tomatoes, toast etc. This is for 8 of us.

There will be 9 - 10 of us of us for Christmas dinner at about 5pm. which will consist of Beef, Pork, Prawns, oysters, chicken, Ham, corned beef and all types of salads and veggies including potato salad. I'm not what will be for dessert,probably Christmas pudding, Pavlova and custard and cream.

No doubt there will many calories consumed today! We don't have any anorexics in this family!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Glad it wont be hot today, only about 22 celsius.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Roast venison and yorkshire pud followed by traditional christmas pud and mince pies.

Have a good one :cheers:

Got the beer on ice.The pigs in the imu and all the raw fish you can eat. were having a luau..I want to wish all of you a Mele Kalikimaka ame Haouli Makahiki Hou!!!! from me and my family. to all of you and yours... Aloha Curt