Studio-N

grouping the topics

I have to say I really miss the topics being grouped. 

If you're talking about when you click Unread Topics, I wholeheartedly agree. The new format is confusing at best.

I can usually get my head around most changing things, this isn't one of them.

Sorry, Johanna, I simply do not like the new format at all.

Ferg

An "UNREAD" topic is much different than a "NEW" topic or post.

Most forums have a NEW button, the old format of this forum did.

There are thousands of topics and posts that I will leave UNREAD, so I don't want to wade thru things I have left unread.

But the NEW post button was valuable in finding out what was, well, NEW.

I have not found a NEW button on this new site.

I make a custom activity (called "My Unread Content") that selects only the things that are new since my last visit. Cuts down on the things that will be "New" to me.  I can also set other custom activity that apply to groups, or other options.  I love how fast and clear the new format is.  I guess I'm just a geek--well, a leather/computer geek. ;-)

Just to clarify.  The groups to look at are set in the CONTENT TYPES, where you can select TOPICS, then using the "gear" symbol, you can select the FORUMS (sewing, etc.) that you want to follow.

I remember working on software, before I retired, and helping people design user interfaces, I gave them this quote: "Flexibility is the key to indecision."  In other words, when you have many options to customize--you can get lost in the process, but I find the ability to customize searches/sorts save me a lot of time, once I figure them out.

If you click on the red dot left of the post title, it will take you to the latest unread post in that thread.  Hope this helps someone a little.  Accidentally found it a few days ago when the mouse cursor was hovering over the dot.  Not so obvious on tablets.

tom

I use the little dot too, northmount.  That's the way to go!  I just wish it were a little bigger as it's a bit small for my fingers on a tablet ...

Bill

this post is a good example. it shows up 8 (now 9) times when one would do.  this is the only thing I don't like about the new format.

So as a result, many topics go unread because after about 5 pages I just quit looking and mark everything read.

What I have been looking for on this new format is a NEW TOPICS, or NEW POSTS or RECENT POSTS button

31 minutes ago, R SFraser Sr said:

What I have been looking for on this new format is a NEW TOPICS, or NEW POSTS or RECENT POSTS button

This new system allows you to set up whatever content type you like. If you want new posts since your last visit, do this...

1. Click 'unread content' to open the default stream.

2. From the row of drop-down boxes, select 'time period' and select 'last visit' from the options.

3. Click 'save as new stream' and give it a unique name eg 'New Content'.

4. Next to the stream name at the top are three little icons, a pen, a dustbin and a tick. Hover your mouse over the tick to highlight the option. Select it and your new custom stream is now set as your default. You will see that 'Unread Content' has been replaced with 'New Content' and clicking on it will display only content which has been added since your last visit. You have made yourself a 'new posts' button.

Edited by Martyn

Thanks for this Martyn,

Strange that this forum interface would make each user develop something as simple as a NEW button.

I've checked all the other forums I frequent and each has a similar button.

This is still a great forum, of course, even if the old version had the new post button.