UncleQ

New to leather and want to make a holster

This may have already been answer and I just over looked it but I am new to working with leather. Just had ankle surgery and will be out of work for a while so my wife decided I needed a hobby lol. Anyways we purchased some leather and a few tools today but I don't really know how to get everything started. I have an idea of the type of holster I want to make just wondering if there are patterns out there to help get me started or is it just a make it as you go kinda thing. I am attaching a picture of the style I want to make. I found this one for sell for about $150 and figured I could make it myself for less and have something to do instead of watching tv waiting on it to come in the mail. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

image.png

Uncle Q, this is a candid and well meant answer. What you are asking is akin to someone writing a book. I would suggest that you go to the Tandy website. They have all kinds of videos. And, of course, YouTube. Searching for information is like networking. One video will create a need to find other videos.

I don't hand stitch and I don't want to. But to get a proper and good looking stitch, you will spend some time learning.

This site is a wonderful site that allows us to post different ways to do leather. But the posts are tips and information on pieces of the construction such as burnishing, dyeing, conditioning, sewing, and other specific areas.

I am not brushing you aside. I harassed a few members when I started a few years ago. Still do sometimes:).

Don't give up. It is a very satisfying hobby/business. Until you meet "that" customer:).

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/free-leathercraft-instructional-videos.html

If you can visit your local Tandy Leather store.  Most often they hold classes and are a wealth of knowledge.

You can find free info on making holsters - including some patterns - on my site.  I don't go into stitching and simple dye instructions, since those are so simple that a long discussion is ridiculous.  You don't need an hour video to tell you that the stitch goes up through one hole and down the next.

And yes, you can make that holster for less than $150.  The BEST leather, you can still make that for under $20 worth of materials.

Many find that "I can make that for less than $150" ends up being far more expensive.  It's also far more addicting, frustrating, satisfying and fun!  I've never made a holster, but make lots of other things, so I can't give you any specific direction on that.  JLSleather (above post) has been exceptionally kind in offering free holster patterns that many here have used with great success, so that could be a great starting point for you.  

The best resources to learn from will depend on how you learn best!

There are some great books, videos and threads here on LWN.  Some books to look out for include Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" available to buy at Tandy stores, and in electronic format in the link at the left.  You'll find a number of other decent books at Tandy stores, and their leathercraft library.

There are also a lot of videos available on Youtube and elsewhere.  Some are very brief and cover only the basics, others more complete, and some just plain long-winded.  You'll quickly figure out which is which.  Some worth a look include Tandy's videos, Ian Atkinson, Nigel Armitage, Springfield Leather ... And as mentioned above, one link tends to lead to another .. You never really know what you'll find.

For leather and tool suppliers, you'll find some great stuff at the top of the page here at LWN, at Tandy, and many other places(depending on where you live, some may be better for you than others).

Hope that helps!

Bill

Stohlman's holster making book is a good reference as well.

Hey Uncle Q. I was in also ignorant in the mystical ways of holster making not too long ago. I found a wealth of info on you tube, then had some questions that I could not find the answer to come on no matter how much I scoured the internet. That's where this forum came in. I joined, asked my question, and promptly received several valuable responses. the guys on here are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I would suggest doing a search on Google site specific for leatherworker.net. For example, if you want to know about pattern-making, I would search Google in this way:

holster pattern making site:leatherworker.net

You can try searching the site itself, but I found that Google usually returns better results. Not sure if the search function on the site has improved since the last update. If you don't find what you're looking for, just ask. I'll also post a link below to a YouTube playlist I've compiled with more than several useful videos. Most of all, have fun. It's extremely rewarding and the folks on here are always willing to offer up some constructive criticism. Hope to see some pictures soon.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj1ASZQHk6RoMjPQBRRbg8BErecR424py

If you feel like you HAVE to see a video, then I'd absolutely recommend this one: 

Contains everything you need to see to make a quality holster - except the pattern itself - and does it all in half an hour.  Very nice, solid looking holster, complete with a discussion of why he's doing what he's doing.

Most of us take longer to make the first ones, and then some speed comes later (usually).  But if a guy has to break the "how to" into multiple parts, he's likely more interested in promoting his u-tube channel than actually showing you ANYthing.  Watching Hank a guy could actually make his own holster.  Having seen a number of those videos, just trying to spare you going through some of that... ;)

I cant help you anymore than these other fine gentleman but your quest was similar to how i got started but I would set my sights a little lower just so you are not put off by your new hobby. LONG ago I collected hand made beautiful knives. I had ordered a sheath from a guy whose company was called Tree stump leather. I got it and it was beautiful but back in 1990 it was over $60 and I thought that was steep. I was convinced I could make something equally as awesome and it would cost me pennies ..

Bwhahahahaha

Well ... werent true. I made something alright but it didnt look anything like his .... as a matter of fact calling his sheath and my thing a sheath would have been liking calling an elephant a lion. But .. I was and still am one of those people convinced that with enough smashing my head into walls and practice and research I can learn anything. I still dont know if my sheaths look as good as his did but he did set me on my quest.

I certainly dont want to dissuade you but if I offered any advice It would be to get the fundamentals right. Dont get to caught up in his coloring or swoopy ears. It is going to have to securely support a firearm and I think that is a big deal. If I make a Knife sheath or hatchet cover and things go skittering across the floor its bad but if my gun or the gun of anyone I make a holster for goes skittering across the floor its awful and sometimes potentially dangerous. I still remember the video of some guy shooting himself in the leg because the leather was too soft and he was inattentive and the trigger was activated when he holstered.

If you have a gun Jeff did a pattern for then you are well on your way. He did the tough work of figuring out the stitch lines and pattern so its a SAFE carry and has sold enough to have had his designs field tested. If not .. make your holster and post it up here for feedback.

I see things posted for top dollar on ebay and etsy that are patently unsafe. They added some stamps and maybe they did some dye thing but anyone who really knows instantly knows it isnt safe.

Edited by Boriqua

26 minutes ago, Boriqua said:

so its a SAFE carry and has sold enough to have had his designs field tested. If not .. make your holster and post it up here for feedback.

I see things posted for top dollar on ebay and etsy that are patently unsafe. They added some stamps and maybe they did some dye thing but anyone who really knows instantly knows it isnt safe.

Yeah, I've made a few ;)  And a LOT of others have made holsters with those patterns, testin' 'em even further.  Honestly, I'm with Alex here - some holsters you see listed as "handmade", "custom" and/or "top"... may well have been made by someone who has no idea what to do with a firearm.

If you want to make holsters, START with my free download "about holsters", which will give you some plain english points to remember -- things that might be common sense (and SHOULD be) but don't hurt to mention anyway ;)

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downloads/about-leather-holsters/

Edited by JLSleather

I have to echo the thought above that said to try out a class at a local Tandy. My entry into the hobby was a holster making class at my local Tandy. I paid $65 for the class, and left with a great quality holster, spare leather, and supplies. Then, I had to buy tools to make my next holster. 

Now, I'm way down the rabbit hole, and have spend lots more money on leather, tools, books, and other supplies. My $65 holster making class resulted in hundreds (thousands?) of dollars and tons of hours of commitment. I have made several holsters, knife sheaths, and many other things for myself and others. It's a great hobby, and you will probably enjoy it.

Your first one will not look as good as the one you see there, but you can build a very functional holster on your first one. As you make more, and if you design them yourself, you will learn much more about how you can build holsters for many other carry styles than you have carried before. (I have a box full of prototypes now.) I've learned so many things about what not to do (and what to do) regarding comfort and access to the handgun.

I started back up after monkeying around with some real bad holsters when I was a kid. I made some Epipen cases for my kid and I and then found my old airgun and was off to holster land again!! and I have a lots of prototypes lying around too....  JLS's primer sheet has a lot of key safety points in an visual excellent summary.

Here are a few books which also give lots for good practical observations on what makes a good (safe and useful) holster not withstanding any fancy tooling or dying.. which comes after the holster design and construction is safe and solid.

Blue Steel and Gun Leather - John Bianchi

Holsters for Combat and Concealed Carry - R.K Campbell

Gun Digest Book of Holsters and other Gun Leather - Roger Combs

Here is the funny thing .... I never wanted to make holsters! I grew up in the oppressive state of NY. While there were plenty of guns no one was looking for holsters. I spent my whole time making leather mostly for motorcycles with a strong secondary in horse stuff and bags. Messenger bags, man bags, purses. Occasionally some saps. I have riding motorcycles since forever so it was a normal fit.

After moving to Arizona I got asked to do a holster for a friend, then another friend, then their friends and before I knew it I didnt have time to make anything but holsters. I have several bags cut up and ready to be sewn up for months now but I cant keep a holster on my shelf so I became a holster maker somehow. Not complaining mind you but I think there is a little more room for creativity in bags and journals and such so to keep myself interested in holsters I am always looking for a little twist that will make it interesting for me to do or trying to emulate someone elses great work. I will get that stamping thing down if it kills me.

Edited by Boriqua

Right there with you on the whole stamping thing, Boriqua.  There are a couple of good tutorials that are that opening page of this section of the forum.  Brazos has a good one on how to make the Mexican Loop style holster.  I have used it with success.  I will echo the sentiment on Stohlman's How to Make Holsters book.  

Both give a run down of the basics of making a pattern.  I started with Stohlman's book and made a couple of holsters from it before I moved on to attempting to emulate designs I saw in movies or pictures.  

A word of caution though this hobby will get expensive quick if you enjoy it as the rest of us do.

I've got a YouTube Channel where I post video series on the leather stuff I make.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOM3hbruUKHov9kquIxXKlA/videos

Just click on "playlists" for my build series.

Everything I make is hand stitched and often I start with pattern making.

This is just how I do it and not how it's done.

I recommend that you check other leatherworker's videos.

Maybe you'll find a technique or process that you like better.

7LkpV1COuc8this HTML class. Value is https://youtu.be/7Lk

Shootersshop holster pattern 101 and 102 on YouTube got me going

Yer link got boogered Toney... think it was this one? 

That big feller takes a bit ta gitta the point, but I speak a little Texan due to friends down that way so I was evenshally ableta foller it ;)

Edited by JLSleather

I been trying to get some of the questions I get asked put down where's a fella could git at it.  Aint gotta stop what yer doin ta find a video, and such.. or even get to a web site to read that 'thing' again.  

So, on my site are some basic principles for makin basic holsters. Aint' gotta the fancy stuff as yet... wont' stop rainin' up this way.  Still, a guycould download a pdf in about a minute that would walk a fella right through layin out his own holster.

Check it out, download one for later, one for your Ma, all free ;)

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/leather-pattern-holsters/