I found this machine as a purchase possibility.  however do not know if this will present a big problem.  I have not used a sewing machine before.  can anyone help me with this decision?

Doug

"This is an original cast iron Tippman Boss. This has been a workhorse in my shop for many years. The only problem I ever had was this year when The needle bar knuckle broke. The needle bar knuckle has been replaced. Since its replacement I was not able to get the timing right again."

Edited by PAMuzzle

If the price is right, you can ship it back to Tippmann and they'll refurbish it. If memory serves, I contacted them several years ago and they said it would cost $75-150, depending on what's wrong with it. For what it's worth, the cast iron model is usually more desirable than the newer aluminum model.

thanks... I'll contact Tippman and check on pricing.

I'd recommend holding out for a machine that actually works. If the original owner could not make it work again, chances are slim that you as a novice can. Shipping to Tippman and back again, plus hard-to-guess repair costs makes this machine almost a non-starter regardless of price. 

The concept of the Tippman is great, small footprint, heavy-duty machine, looks easy to use, sews really thick leather.  The problem is that hand crank, I wish they would have made it a foot pump.  That would have left both hands free to hold the project.  If your looking for a inexpensive leather sewing machine (that comes working) go for one of the China 29K shoe patcher clones you can find on e-bay for a few hundred bucks.  Just an idea. 

Yetibelle, I have seen very few Chinese 29k clones that actually work and I would go as far as to say that most are the worst excuses for sewing machines ever marketed.

Tandy just released flyers advertising Tippman Boss' for sale this month.  I spoke with a Tandy Regional manager a couple months ago who said the patent was expiring.  I imagine they are trying to expand their base before clones begin hitting the market.

1 hour ago, Ole South said:

Tandy just released flyers advertising Tippman Boss' for sale this month.  I spoke with a Tandy Regional manager a couple months ago who said the patent was expiring.  I imagine they are trying to expand their base before clones begin hitting the market.

They have  had one on "display" for the last two weeks at my store. I think  they are trying to  figure out how to use it.:bike:

Without doubt clones will hit the market.

If someone was really smart they would get some modifications done to address the inherent problems with the Tippman.

10 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Without doubt clones will hit the market.

If someone was really smart they would get some modifications done to address the inherent problems with the Tippman.

If the clones don't improve the design and metals, they will be next to useless. I had to tweak the Boss at my downstate Tandy store last week, to get it to sew. Even then it began binding for no apparent reason. A real tinker's toy.

I've hesitated to get involved here, but...

I have a Tippman Boss; fairly recent vintage.   Maybe four years old.

I've broken a couple parts; pilot error.  I've ordered the parts an installed them myself.  Messy on the inside, expect to get dirty hands.

I've sewn a bunch of stuff.  It purrs along nicely if you take the time to make the proper adjustments and work methodically in the process.

Along the way I've talked with several folks at Tippman; business like and friendly.  A bit terse.

I live in a very real world and the Boss I've got has presented no problem worthy of public discussion or public ridicule.

I don't foresee selling the machine.

Got a Cobra 4 too.  Combined, they have contributed greatly to my knowledge base.  Neither company has ever requested a testimonial but I would give a favorable evaluation with very few negatives.  I would preface such comments with "a lot depends on the operator" and "one must read the manual".