Rainout

Help me identify these patchers (a Singer and a "patent elastique")

Hi!

Been lurking on this forum for a while and recently been looking into leather patchers for my amature shoemaking. I should start of with saying that I have no prior experience using sewing machines nor servicing them. I've been looking for something to sew shoe uppers with (usually about two layers of 1.5-2.5 oz calf leather leather), and if possible soles as well (8-10 oz leather, although I can keep doing these by hand if needed).

Been looking into singer 29k models and it seems pretty good for what I want to do. It seems relatively easy to use as there seems to be alot of replacement parts available and alot of information to find online. The hand crank is a very good feature aswell, especially since I don't have alot of space in my apartement and don't need the threadle. 

One of the machines I found is this model recently, seems a bit more modern than most 29k's that I have found so far. Any idea which model and if its a good machine for a beginner? Its around 350 euros.

I also found this other machine that seems to be from around the 1880's, might be called "Patent elastique" by Husqvarna or  J. A. Nilson. Only 150 euros, but I can't really find alot of information about it.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to be a part of this community.

-Rainy

2582871452.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Screenshot_2016-06-14-10-23-53.jpg

The blue patcher looks just like my 29k172. It is one of the last ones ever made by Singer (mid to late 1970s). I have lots of experience using this machine. Here's what it can and can't do.

• Sews no more than 1/4 inch compressed thickness. Might manage 5/16" if foot is set to maximum lift. Stitch length will be tiny.
  • Sews chrome tan upper leather.
  • Sews patches onto motorcycle vests and jackets, especially over pockets and sleeves.
  • Great for purse repairs.
  • Can sew fairly close to the toe of a normal flat lace-up shoe.
  • Has an 18" long arm for sewing along boot uppers, or cue stick covers, jacket sleeves, and other cylindrical objects.
  • Can sew in new zippers onto thin leather or cloth jackets
  • Sews light to medium temper veg-tan.
  • Handles thread size 69 through 138 (large bobbin models only). It does best with #69 or #92 bonded thread.
  • The large bobbin holds enough #69 thread to sew a lot of shoes or 10 belts (see last item). The small bobbin models need to have bobbins changed quite often. If using #138 thread it will only sew about 5 belts (large bobbin only)
  • Uses needle system 29x4 and 135x16 (various leather points) and 29x3 and 135x17 (round point).
  • Sews no more than 5 stitches per inch, decreasing with thickness of leather. A worn out drive cam reduces maximum stitch length drastically.
  • If it has the top mounted darning attachment it can sew long stitches manually. This is useful when sewing across closed zipper teeth, where hitting the metal will break the needle.
  • Has a two position throat plate with a large hole on one end (#21, 22 and 23 needles)  and a small hole on the other (#20 and under).
  • The needle can be moved sideways as long as the larger needle hole is in place.
  • It sews in any direction, with top feed only. You will have permanent tooth marks on some leathers.
  • Will NOT sew shoe soles
  • Will NOT sew gun holsters
  • Since there are no edge guides, they are not so accurate at sewing belt/strap edges, unless you groove the stitch line first.

If it has the top mounted darning attachment it can sew long stitches manually.

Would you have a picture of one of these darning attachment contraptions Wiz ? First time I've heard of it ..
re the machines..the top "elastic " one looks very much like the machines ( various manufacturers ) which show up on our version of Craig's list ( "le bon coin" ) usually sold as machines for cobblers ( cordonniers, derives from the word Cordova, as in Cordovan leather ) or antiques for decoration, in working order they are about €700.00 and non working the average price is around €500.00..

The Singer is a long arm.   The stand is for a short arm.   The model will be on the plate in front on the right side of the balance wheel.  I would say it is either a 29K72 or 29K73.  72 is big bobbin, 73 is small bobbin.  It will be a hard pressed to sew 8-10 s sole leather. the other model is an early shoe patcher.  Looks like an early Patent 

Elastique or early Claes & Fenje.  Great machines but now parts.

glenn 

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Would you have a picture of one of these darning attachment contraptions Wiz ? First time I've heard of it ..
re the machines..the top "elastic " one looks very much like the machines ( various manufacturers ) which show up on our version of Craig's list ( "le bon coin" ) usually sold as machines for cobblers ( cordonniers, derives from the word Cordova, as in Cordovan leather ) or antiques for decoration, in working order they are about €700.00 and non working the average price is around €500.00..

Here you go! This is my 29k172, long arm, large bobbin patcher, with a darning attachment.

IMG_1352.jpgIMG_1341.jpgIMG_1350.jpg

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it helped me she'd some light on this. I think that the Singer 29 could be what I'm looking for. Is the newer one (29k172)  preferable to say, a 29k52? Mainly in terms of user friendlyness. 

The Singer in your picture is at least from the late 1950´s but most likely newer. You can tell that for the attached plaques. If the blurry picture is not cheating my eyes its still in the original condition. You for sure will find most of the wear parts for this machine w/o problems f.i. at College Sewing in the UK. The other one is probably 1 century old and as Shoepatcher said there are no longer parts available. The availability of parts is priceless if you want to use the machine for a longer period of time.

How much is the Singer machine?

The top machine is a Claes Patent Elastic (Elastique).

I believe they have been imported and rebranded in the States.

The Patent Elastic is the forefather of the Claes patcher and the Claes patcher can do 12 mm.  It is far superior to the Singer, in that respect...

The Slaes patcher is rebadged for the US market as.... hmm I have forgotten...I will find out later.

Alex