Sign in to follow this  
badger

Christmas present for my Mrs.

I finally worked up enough courage to show something I made.

This is a belt for my Mrs, Deb.

I was going for clean, elegant but robust lines. No fuss at all. There's no stitching, only creasing. This is the first thing I made using my new motorized burnisher for the edges.

The Art Nouveau buckle is a hundred years old.

The belt fastens at the back with a single snap and is fitted exactly to her size. She won't mind me telling you that, since the fit is so precise, I also made a small extender piece which snaps in, in case of Christmas dinner and other size altering events.

Cheers,

Karl

belt01.jpgbelt02.jpg

post-7577-1230214361_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1230214379_thumb.jpg

Lovely job, Karl, and a stunning buckle. You obviously have nothing to be ashamed of... apart from that hat! <grin!>

Hope you've both had a great day.

R.

i really like this belt, nice and clean

Love the belt!!! Very clean and elegant wich brings full attention to that buckle and it does deserve that too!

Tom

Karl, beautiful job integrating that classic buckle. I'm sure your wife's delighted.

-Alex

Very elegant belt! I have always felt like the KISS principal is best!

That is absolutely lovely.

Thanks you guys, I appreciate the coments.

Ray, there's nothing wrong with my hat, OK?

Happy New Year,

Karl

Karl,

Would you be so kind as to post a photo of the fastener?

Surveyor,

The fastener is a Line 24 snap on the back, nothing more complicated.

I decided not to use the Edwardian buckle as a means of closure as it was made in 1907, and I didn't want to put it under any strain.

It's attached to the belt by waxed linen thread, tied through four punched holes in the smaller leather mount. I set the knots with PVA to prevent them coming undone. It's attached very firmly.

Cheers,

Karl

Ray, there's nothing wrong with my hat, OK?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the hat, Karl. In fact it is a most entertaining hat, nay, a stunning hat and one that would grace the head of any jongleur; and if the colours are a little loud and the pattern is a touch bold then hoorah for the dignity with which you wear it!

In fact, it would be shameful if one didn't treat such a fine hat as an essential sartorial companion. My comments were simply to encourage you into a hatfest of epic proportions... it should be sported on every occasion. Weddings funerals, romantic assignations, business meetings and country house parties will all benefit from its attendance and small boys will doubtless stop in the street to marvel at its passing.

There is nothing at all wrong with your hat, Karl...

Ray,

It is indeed a pleasure to be enganged in sporting repartee with as keen a fellow admirer of cranial carapacerie. My woolly is as fine a companion to my tonsorial topiary as could be wished for.

Somewhat troublesome to 'doff' for a Lady, though.

Cheers,

Karl

Touché Karl!

In an ideal world we would all have access to an endless supply of hats just like yours. Well, almost like yours... mine wouldn't have the strings under the chin because they do, as you so rightly observe, obstruct doffing - and I DO like a good doff on a cold morning!

I would definitely retain the earflaps as they patently prevent the wearer from hearing the derisory and hypercritical comments of saddlers, harness makers, leatherworkers and other such ruffians who know nothing at all about adventurous headgear.

Hats off to you, sir!

:rofl:

P.S. I am surprised that my highly respected cousin Luke (who has more hats than anyone else I know) hasn't thrown in his two cents worth. Now there is a man who really appreciates and understands cranial coverings. His informed views on your magnificent wooly would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by UKRay

Ray,

It is indeed a pleasure to be enganged in sporting repartee with as keen a fellow admirer of cranial carapacerie. My woolly is as fine a companion to my tonsorial topiary as could be wished for.

Somewhat troublesome to 'doff' for a Lady, though.

Cheers,

Karl

It's a mighty cunning hat. A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

:-D

It is indeed a cunning hat.

Firefly fan, Tashabear?

Sawadee Tcthipyuth!

Thank you very much.

Karl

nice belt!

I finally worked up enough courage to show something I made.

This is a belt for my Mrs, Deb.

I was going for clean, elegant but robust lines. No fuss at all. There's no stitching, only creasing. This is the first thing I made using my new motorized burnisher for the edges.

The Art Nouveau buckle is a hundred years old.

The belt fastens at the back with a single snap and is fitted exactly to her size. She won't mind me telling you that, since the fit is so precise, I also made a small extender piece which snaps in, in case of Christmas dinner and other size altering events.

Cheers,

Karl

post-7577-1230214379_thumb.jpgpost-7577-1230214361_thumb.jpg