WatchOutForTheBang

Preventing leather bulging and distorting when stamping

Hi All,

I am trying to get my Scouts to make knife sheaths, I have already designed the patterns and made an example (see below) however, there was one issue I had when I was stamping the front flap. As I want them to put their name in it I used a background stamp to allow my name to stand out, however, as you can see the stamping has distorted the flap from being square and lining up exactly and made the sides bulge out more than expected, how can i prevent this distortion and bulging?

DSC_0018.JPG

I tape the back with packing tape. Some folks glue the piece to the grankte with rubber cement. 

Im with Colt

NOT always, but when I do, I tape the back side before I begin stamping !  -----   Wild Bill46

if you take shelf lining roll/paper which has a sticky side and then stick the piece to it that will keep the leather from stretching and the adhesive is light enough not to gum up the pack of the piece or pull stands outs etc. Works great and comes in wide rolls for when you are doing larger pieces. AND if you then wanted you can use a little carpet tape on the corners or edges to then keep the deal from moving if you don't like turning the work on the granite when tooling.

Nice work on the case by the way.

Edited by plinkercases

6 hours ago, WatchOutForTheBang said:

I use the contact paper, adhesive shelf liner, but I prefer the transparent one. I think I have a matte. I use it when stamping like plinker cases described but I also use it for a variety of masking and I like being able to see through the material. Its cheap stuff and I have a giant roll of Rubermaid con-tact I think I paid under $10 dollars for and it lasts forever.

yes Boriqua that is also what I use.

Great tip Thanks  Was wondering how this was solved.

2" clear plastic tape is quick and if need, 2 layers if heavy backgrounding or basket stamping is done.

On larger projects I still use the 2" tape. I will put one layer on then put a second layer on at 90 degrees. (It just makes me feel better I guess!)lol!!

Rick

For those who use tape, do you apply it before or after casing?

I have never had this problem, I guess I don't hit the leather that hard !  you could try a lighter touch and then use an antiquing finish to make the names stand out.  Or .. true the flap after tooling the name and then edge it ?? 

31 minutes ago, Pkay said:

I have never had this problem, I guess I don't hit the leather that hard !  you could try a lighter touch and then use an antiquing finish to make the names stand out.  Or .. true the flap after tooling the name and then edge it ?? 

If you tool shallow and not "into" the leather the leather generally does not stretch much.  Many people are going for a 3D look, carving deep and lifting the leather.  You get a lot more depth and realism in your carving the deeper you work.

Packing tape on the rear of the leather really helps as stated above, but the compressed leather does have to go someplace.  Think of it like cookie dough. the more you roll it out, the thinner it is, but it "grows" on the cutting board.

I never try and tool more than half the depth of the leather, in my experience to do so can weaken the leather. The strength of leather is in the surface layers and my work exploits that strength.  The surface layers of leather are the most dense and I do not like to sacrifice the strength for decoration.  I have achieved a greater 3D effect by using other techniques.