What is the largest thread and needle the Pfaff 335 will sew with?

I've used a 134-35 160 needle and 138 thread without difficulty. 

Thanks is there and special adjustments when I change from 69 thread?

My 335 is very fussy about #138 thread (unfortunately). First one I tried was a braided thread, the hook kept snagging the thread (I suspect it was the braid "opening up" a tiny bit as the loop was formed). Next one was Serafil, a twisted cotton/polyester blend which also snagged, but less often. Last one is a fully synthetic twisted, which still catches occasionally. I've got the hook as close as I can to the needle but it has still proven to be unreliable. I'm still working on it, as there's no reason I can see why it shouldn't work...... It's fine with #69, by the way.

I'd suggest you make sure that the hook timing is as good as you can get with the larger needle, hopefully you won't have the troubles I'm having.

Hi Dickman If you want to pm me your address I'll send down a part roll of Strongbond for you to try if you have not already. I know it will work unless your machine is wrong. If you want more then I could arrange for them to ship to you on my acc. Regards Brian

Just make sure the hook is set correctly for the larger needle, and both the upper and lower tensions will need some tweaking. It's never been a big deal.

Edited by Hockeymender

On 31/07/2016 at 7:50 PM, RockyAussie said:

Hi Dickman If you want to pm me your address I'll send down a part roll of Strongbond for you to try if you have not already. I know it will work unless your machine is wrong. If you want more then I could arrange for them to ship to you on my acc. Regards Brian

Hey Dikman sent a pm with post tracking number. Regards Brian

Brian, the thread arrived today, many thanks (but I wish you'd at least let me pay for the postage!).

I loaded up the Pfaff and ran 12" or so of stitches down an old belt - no snagging, but I did get a lot of dropped stitches!! Oh well, I figured that might be easier to deal with than the snagging. I fiddled with the tension, but that had no effect. It was fine if I went very slow, but as soon as I picked up speed it became unreliable. Something I learned a long time ago (when fault-finding telephone exchanges!) was to listen to the rhythm of machinery when it's working. So, I listened to the mechanical "rattling" of the machine as it stitched, and could soon tell when it dropped stitches by the change in sound from the bobbin area. I then noticed that the bobbin drive shaft had a little bit of back and forth play in it and traced this to the top shaft bevel gears. Unlikely to be the problem, I think, but after a bit of stuffing around I managed to take up the slack, but I'm now wondering if the bobbin case has too much play in the race assembly.

I'll have to experiment a bit more, but I'm having a rest at the moment (haven't been feeling too well for a while, gastro etc :().