plinkercases

Juki 1341 experience? pros cons?

Thanks dikman and yes it seems your experience already is what I am anticipating.

On 2016-08-16 at 10:51 AM, plinkercases said:

Thanks dikman and yes it seems your experience already is what I am anticipating.

Did you end up with this machine? Curious to know if you like it.

Hi HardenGoods I actually ended up with a Pfaff 335 as my first cylinder arm.

I can not say enough good things about Chris at Japan Sewing Machine. He is excellent to deal with no BS or up sell. When I purchased my Juki 1541S he gave me options like Juki 1541 vs 1541S vs his own brand Kobi. Spend the time with the wife and me, querried what we were doing and wanted the machine to do, had the machine setup for a test run using the thickest stuff we could bring. When it was said and done we walked out with a NEW Juki 1541S, table, servo motor, electric rotary cutter for thick stuff, 1 3/4" binding attachment and a couple of other items for at least $1000 CA cheaper then anyone else could or would supply in Ontario or Quebec. It was worth the 4 hour trip.

Agreed super guy and service.

4 hours ago, kgg said:

I can not say enough good things about Chris at Japan Sewing Machine. He is excellent to deal with no BS or up sell. When I purchased my Juki 1541S he gave me options like Juki 1541 vs 1541S vs his own brand Kobi. Spend the time with the wife and me, querried what we were doing and wanted the machine to do, had the machine setup for a test run using the thickest stuff we could bring. When it was said and done we walked out with a NEW Juki 1541S, table, servo motor, electric rotary cutter for thick stuff, 1 3/4" binding attachment and a couple of other items for at least $1000 CA cheaper then anyone else could or would supply in Ontario or Quebec. It was worth the 4 hour trip.

Glad to hear that. I got a really solid vibe off the guy too. Going to see him next week. 

Hi HardenGoods,

What machine are you thinking about and let us know how you found him to deal with.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Hi HardenGoods,

What machine are you thinking about and let us know how you found him to deal with.

kgg

Looking at a copy of both the Juki 1508 and the Juki 341. Both branded "Kobe".

I ordered a Techsew 2600 a few weeks back and am not happy with it at all. My initial impressions were that it all looked pretty nice but upon closer inspection and use, my experience started to change. The machine vibrates an unreasonable amount and I was told it was normal due to torque increase which sounds reasonable, although, I’ve got 5 servos in my shop and none of my machines shake rumble and grind like the Techsew.

The thread stand shakes a remarkable amount (and it is fastened properly) and it sounds like gears are grinding inside the machine. Castings are super rough and the underside of the table (legs) feels flimsy. Here is a short video of the machine without a load. It does this to varying degrees with different materials.

Techsew has a really strong following and have been super nice guys to deal with when they do get back to me but for just under $3000, the machine just feels so cheap to me to be honest. This definitely won’t help me sell the machine (which was timed and sews properly!) but it is true.

Will keep it up in the classifieds until someone purchases it, as it does sew well and comes with a really beautiful table attachment from Uwe.  Excited to see what Chris has in store though!

Edited by HardenGoods

I ordered a techsew servo to out on my my 335... are your issues with the servo itself or the head?

My 1245 is comig with a Kobe servo like Chris sells.

Edited by plinkercases

Before I purchased the Juki 1541S I did some comparative shopping of walking foot machines and found the same thing with the Techsew flat-bed sounding off, couldn't quite put a finger what vs the Juki sounding, feeling smooth more like a Singer. When spending $200 I can put up with some things, over $2,000 I want it to look good, feel great and run properly right out of the box. 

kgg

9 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I ordered a techsew servo to out on my my 335... are your issues with the servo itself or the head?

My 1245 is comig with a Kobe servo like Chris sells.

Vibrates and grinds with other motors still, just a little less. Hope your end result with the motor is good, Plinker!

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Before I purchased the Juki 1541S I did some comparative shopping of walking foot machines and found the same thing with the Techsew flat-bed sounding off, couldn't quite put a finger what vs the Juki sounding, feeling smooth more like a Singer. When spending $200 I can put up with some things, over $2,000 I want it to look good, feel great and run properly right out of the box. 

kgg

I’m with you 100% on that. I’m glad you ended up with a solid machine!

10 hours ago, HardenGoods said:

I ordered a Techsew 2600 a few weeks back and am not happy with it at all. My initial impressions were that it all looked pretty nice but upon closer inspection and use, my experience started to change. The machine vibrates an unreasonable amount and I was told it was normal due to torque increase which sounds reasonable, although, I’ve got 5 servos in my shop and none of my machines shake rumble and grind like the Techsew.

The thread stand shakes a remarkable amount (and it is fastened properly) and it sounds like gears are grinding inside the machine. Castings are super rough and the underside of the table (legs) feels flimsy. Here is a short video of the machine without a load. It does this to varying degrees with different materials.

Techsew has a really strong following and have been super nice guys to deal with when they do get back to me but for just under $3000, the machine just feels so cheap to me to be honest. This definitely won’t help me sell the machine (which was timed and sews properly!) but it is true.

Will keep it up in the classifieds until someone purchases it, as it does sew well and comes with a really beautiful table attachment from Uwe.  Excited to see what Chris has in store though!

I have a very similar machine myself. In fact I believe the only difference is that mine is badged locally. I bought mine used for a lot less than you paid for yours and am reasonably happy with it until I can find a premium-manufacturer replacement for it at a price I can afford. I've had a very experienced technician service it and he wasn't impressed by the build quality. I would agree with you and him on that matter -- cheese-grade screws, plates soft as butter and castings rough as a badger's bum. However it does work most of the time, and for a lot lower price than a real Juki 246. It also can sew 30 ft of TKT20/V138 between bobbin changes, reverse perfectly, has a 4-motion feed-dog and has a cylinder end diameter only a tiny bit larger than that of a 335.

10 hours ago, HardenGoods said:

Check to see if your belt is lumpy.  This causes a LOT of problems like you describe.  We routinely throw away 10% of our belts because they are too lumpy.  The machine itself seems to be running smoothly.  

12 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I have a very similar machine myself. In fact I believe the only difference is that mine is badged locally. I bought mine used for a lot less than you paid for yours and am reasonably happy with it until I can find a premium-manufacturer replacement for it at a price I can afford. I've had a very experienced technician service it and he wasn't impressed by the build quality. I would agree with you and him on that matter -- cheese-grade screws, plates soft as butter and castings rough as a badger's bum. However it does work most of the time, and for a lot lower price than a real Juki 246. It also can sew 30 ft of TKT20/V138 between bobbin changes, reverse perfectly, has a 4-motion feed-dog and has a cylinder end diameter only a tiny bit larger than that of a 335.

Cheese grade haha.. I concur with you and your tech on that.  You are absolutely right about the pros of the machine. The narrow cylinder arm is great and the bobbin size is a game changer for anyone coming from smaller sized bobbins. My reverse works well too. 

7 minutes ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Check to see if your belt is lumpy.  This causes a LOT of problems like you describe.  We routinely throw away 10% of our belts because they are too lumpy.  The machine itself seems to be running smoothly.  

That was the first thing I tried. As I’ve had lumpy belts before too. Belt looked fine, tried a new standard belt and tried a link belt with no real change in result. Thanks for this pointer though, I can see that fix helping others. 

Near the end of the short video to me it sounds like a gear that is not catching properly and giving that inconsistent cycling over spin noise. Is there any visible metal filings in the base, filter screen, oil feel gritty?

kgg

I hear a few different areas to try and distingquish. I suspect one is the binder part touching in a constant, then the later one that seems to vari in its movement. 

Is there an option to veiw the hook during this run to try the seperation of these. Also is the speed a part in the various noise levels help in elimination. 

Im also curious of the bobbin fill and placement and just all that area we all flashlight into. 

Good day there

Floyd

30 minutes ago, brmax said:

I hear a few different areas to try and distingquish. I suspect one is the binder part touching in a constant, then the later one that seems to vari in its movement. 

Is there an option to veiw the hook during this run to try the seperation of these. Also is the speed a part in the various noise levels help in elimination. 

Im also curious of the bobbin fill and placement and just all that area we all flashlight into. 

Good day there

Floyd

Thanks for the insight Floyd! I appreciate your thoughts. The noise definitely seems to be coming from in and around the lower driveshaft gears though.

54 minutes ago, kgg said:

Near the end of the short video to me it sounds like a gear that is not catching properly and giving that inconsistent cycling over spin noise. Is there any visible metal filings in the base, filter screen, oil feel gritty?

kgg

Kgg, I suspected something similar because of the particular sound of the grinding noise. After tilting the head of the machine back I do notice some discolouration on the oil pad but this may also be normal for break in (although I'm positive the noise is not). I was also surprised to not see an oil pan under here which I've seen on some other Juki clones, but maybe not necessary. Also, the rubber gasket came like that. I continue to place it back where it should be but it is too small for its purpose.

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.20.19 AM.jpg

Edited by HardenGoods
spelling

Hi HardenGoods,

I am surprised that there is no oil wicks, oil pump, gear grease. Maybe it doesn't need them.  In the last photo it looks like you are holding a small oil pan what is it for? Is here any obvious slop in the shafts, gears etc. How does the needle end of the cylinder arm look any obvious rubbing?

kgg

I hope it doesn’t need them. The oil pan is taken from a video from “Alden’s School of Leather” on a Juki 341 copy. Not my oil pan but made me think my machine should or could have one. No rubbing in the hook area. All is well on that end after careful inspection. The noise comes from right near the gears in the photos. Thanks for the help kgg. 

With your 246 clone is there any movement up and down in that gear and shaft in your photo. Had been curious just how these played a role with pfaff design  

On a side note, Kinda wish my class 4 had a oil pan like you've shown ? I just keep a paper shop towell in there as theres no cast iron bottom rather just the table top. 

Its an updating i guess they made the bottom section on the 1341 a cast iron pan, with a threaded drain hole. 

If’n you decide to pull that all apart it might be a great video post in itself. Checking end play and gear paint pattern mesh and all. Its sure worth a call to the tech. Their daily task with these is hard to pass up  

Floyd

7 hours ago, brmax said:

With your 246 clone is there any movement up and down in that gear and shaft in your photo. Had been curious just how these played a role with pfaff design  

On a side note, Kinda wish my class 4 had a oil pan like you've shown ? I just keep a paper shop towell in there as theres no cast iron bottom rather just the table top. 

Its an updating i guess they made the bottom section on the 1341 a cast iron pan, with a threaded drain hole. 

If’n you decide to pull that all apart it might be a great video post in itself. Checking end play and gear paint pattern mesh and all. Its sure worth a call to the tech. Their daily task with these is hard to pass up  

Floyd

I will check the play and movement a little later when I am back in front of the machine. Yea, I really like the pan idea!

I have a new, old-stock Juki LS-341 and it took me nearly two days to figure out the root cause for a bind when I first got it. It turned out the machine had - for some unknown reason - a set screw on one of the hook driving cone gears that was a tiny bit too long.The set screw was touching other cone gear teeth nearby - not a good thing.  With a proper, shorter set screw installed the machine is the buttery smoothness you expect from Juki. I mention this because even the tiniest part can turn a perfectly good machine into grinding, thumping mess. I'm glad I found the screw before I ran the machine under motor power.

On the sub-topic of oil drip pans, I ordered an inexpensive Honbo HB-8B (copy of Seiko CW-8B/Consew 227R) to develop a table attachment for this machine class - eventually. It was a gamble but it turned out to be a surprisingly nice and well made machine. It even came with a metal oil drip pan insert - yay!

IMG_0980.jpg

Edited by Uwe

43 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I have a new, old-stock Juki LS-341

(E)ven the tiniest part can turn a perfectly good machine into grinding, thumping mess. I'm glad I found the screw before I ran the machine under motor power.

On the sub-topic of oil drip pans, I ordered an inexpensive Honbo HB-8B

Wow. I'm not surprised after seeing your setup... new... old/dead stock seems like the best it gets. Treasures waiting to be unleashed haha.

Agreed. That Adler 67 taught me how many things have to work with and off of each other in just the right way/time to accomplish what the machine was set out to do. Also, I hope this isn't too late for this (2600) machine because I sent the video to the tech and he said it was normal. Doesn't seem normal.

Looks great. Something about a well fitting stamped pan does it for me a little more than what looks like scissor cut felt ;). Did you have many of the same clones to choose from when buying the Honbo? Lately, I often wonder how one knows which copy to get when they all tend to look the same. Reputation goes a long way but it seems to be difficult to acquire useful info on which manufacturer produces said machine best.

Edited by HardenGoods

Is it normal for those bevel gears to not have any grease on them? My Pfaff is greased.

11 hours ago, Uwe said:

On the sub-topic of oil drip pans, I ordered an inexpensive Honbo HB-8B (copy of Seiko CW-8B/Consew 227R) to develop a table attachment for this machine class - eventually. It was a gamble but it turned out to be a surprisingly nice and well made machine. It even came with a metal oil drip pan insert - yay!

Uwe that pan seems to fit pretty nicely. Was the shipping expensive to get it over from China.

kgg