garypl

Tried to Replicate a Wallet for a Friend

My friend had an old wallet that had fallen apart from usage/age and asked if I could make a replacement.  Here is the result.  Used thin veg tan inside and sheepskin on the outside.  I was not happy with the results because the sheepskin seemed too soft/flimsy and puckered up in a couple of areas of the stitch line. 

I used 6mm Ritza thread and a 2.7mm pricking iron for the stitching - looks like it works out to @10 SPI .  I figured this would be a good project to practice my stitching.   Each pocket will hold two credit cards and the money clip inside was removed from his old wallet and reused.

I sealed the wallet with a mixture I made that contains beeswax, lanolin, neatsfoot oil and a bit of carnuba wax.  I rub the mixture in, heat it a bit to soak in the leather, then buff with a clean rag.

This is my first attempt at a wallet and I look forward to making another one to learn from these mistakes.  I will appreciate any critique and suggestions for my next attempt!

I really enjoy reading all the great information provided by the other members of this site and I hope I can add my own tips as I improve.

Wallet1.jpg

Wallet4.jpg

Wallet3.jpg

Wallet2.jpg

pretty cool I like it!

Thanks Windrider!

So does this mean you officially classify as a copy cat, copy cat? :P

Good job though, looks really great. I am sure your mate will appreciate it!

It looks great, I'm going to try to make a few of those, I was just wondering, how do you attach the money clip? Is it just attached by stitching it? I'm asking this because I don't want just to stitch it and then have it loose and maybe "falling" out of the wallet. Thanks

The clip looks like the ones from tandy they are spring loaded.Appears to be in the "open" part of the bend. Is the stitch line across to of card pocket decorative or is it lined?

12 hours ago, LouraLeather said:

It looks great, I'm going to try to make a few of those, I was just wondering, how do you attach the money clip? Is it just attached by stitching it? I'm asking this because I don't want just to stitch it and then have it loose and maybe "falling" out of the wallet. Thanks

Thanks LouraLeather - the money clip has ridges as mentioned by nstarleather, so friction keeps it in place inside the fold.  I stitched tight up to the fold to hold it securely.

11 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

The clip looks like the ones from tandy they are spring loaded.Appears to be in the "open" part of the bend. Is the stitch line across to of card pocket decorative or is it lined?

The pocket is lined - thin veg tan layered with the sheepskin.  

On 1/30/2017 at 7:59 AM, nstarleather said:

We make something similar and we don't line.

http://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/product/116-Horween.html

Since the clip is a spring, the ridges kind of hold it in pretty well with just friction.  You have have the spacing right. 

Also don't order clips from Tandy... I have a posting here for them at $2 each if you get 10 (half what Tandy charges).

I'm not trying to get rich on them, but I bought 5000 and am sharing the love..

That looks pretty cool. Would you mind selling me the pattern? :)

9 hours ago, nstarleather said:

I don't really have a pattern I could easily send but I can give you simple measurements for the design:

Big rectangle 8 7/8" by 2 7/8" and pockets are Roughly 3.5" x 2 7/8" make the "scoop"  and rounding of corners to your taste...

Where you stitch the top line will vary depending on the thickness of your leather and the clip you use.

Thanks! Patterning is my nemesis. Lol I have made a fair few things with my own pattern that didn't work like I wanted.