Sometime this morning, my card was used at Kroger and at a Home Depot.  In Michigan :crazy:

Apparently, there were multiple other charges pending, but the card issuer caught it and deactivated the card, so I only need reimbursed for the two charges.  Nice.

They were pretty quick to catch it - even before i did - but just the idea of the thing.  Ties up a bit of money until it's fixed, though, so good thing I had pretty much what I needed already. 

Well, except for tX cust dies, who I guess I'll need to call and tell them not to run that card that isn't valid any more!

You are not responsible for any fraudulent charges, your bank knows that.

Art

Yeah.  They also know that in these things, they deactivate the card.  Meaning I can't use that account until a new card is issued.

I had the same thing happen...someone bought a bunch of stuff from a Home Depot in Kansas and then some stuff from Home Depot on line...they tried to scam a card I don't use except for hunting supplies.  Bank was really good about it when I called them, they closed the account and I had a new card in about a week.

Atleast they are getting better about this. About 8 years ago had my card used in FL for a few gas fill ups (I live in WA). Saw it and called the bank to have them secure the card then went in to fill out a claims form. Funny lady asked me "are you sure it wasn't you charging your card". Asked her how I got to FL and back in less then 4 hrs and had time to fill up a couple of tanks worth of gas. The claims process took about a week total (refund/new card/claim approval). Things have come a ways since then.

I have had it happen 4x in the last 8 months, matter of fact just got the latest replacement card today.  Somewhere local to me has a skimmer set up or something a gas pump I am assuming. The biggest pia is the automatic monthly payments I have attached to cards, usually forget a couple then get a notice your bill is late. 

A few years ago I bought several hundred dollars of train tickets in Italy, and a bunch of stuff in World of Warcraft.   Too bad I don't even have a passport or play WoW.

Wish they would prosecute/make an effort to follow up on that stuff. Then take a finger for each time.

Mmmmm new source of leather for inlays?

About 4 days before Xmas about 6 or so years ago, I was standing at the till of a local supermarket, trolly overflowing with Xmas cheer.   My card was declined, an extremely embarrassing experience in front of a full shop.    Luckily, I had another card on me to pay, or we would have been eating the cat food for the foreseeable future.

I got home and called my bank, which is when I discovered that my card had been used for a transaction in Australia.   Because of the holidays, I didn't get a new card until January, but at least it was sorted out.

What annoys me is that the people who do these crimes, don't care who they inconvenience or hurt.   In fact most seem to consider it a victimless crime.

Yeah, it happens. I'm actually impressed that this is the first time for me.

My card emails me any time the card is used, so I knew about it within a couple of hours (earlier if I had checked email earlier).  When I called the card company, they already knew and had 'shut off' my card.  Gal said two charges "got through" but there were far more that would have gone if they hadn't caught it early.  

I'll get all my money back... just gonna take a week (ish).

On the funnier side of credit cards.... years back, I walked into Walmart for a new fishin' license and a soda pop (or some such). Two boys got a table set up inside the door, offering a Walmart card to shoppers.  

So I said.. don't walmart take Visa?  Cuz if they take Visa, WHY would I need a Walmart card?  And the one kid says.

• it's free.. no annual fee, blahblah
  • you get a discount on gas you buy at walmart (I think like 10¢ off)
  • you get a free 2-liter o soda just for applying
  • plus we get $30 for signing you up

Fair enough.. this kid is honest.. i lke that.  So I tell him.. you fill it out, when I'm done shopping I'll sign it, you git yer $30. And that's how it went.  

Couple weeks, I get a Walmart card.  ONly got a $750 limit, but that's mroe than I'm gonna spend at Walmart anyway, right?  Stuck in my wallet and forgotten.

MONTHS go by, and I'm in line at Walmart with $38 worth of stuff.  Waiting in line, it occurs to me ---hey.. i got a walmart card!  Which was quickly declined :crazy:

So she says must be over the limit..  Uh.. don't think so.. never used.  And she's trying to get me out of the way, cuz people are lniing up.  So she tries again, and says well if it's a new card, maybe it isn't activated yet.  Gota call that number on the card.  WHICH i think is a good idea, and I did.  Right there in the line.  With people stacking up.

Turned the speaker on the phone, and everybody can clearly hear the thing say you're total lmit is $750... your total available credit is $750.... so I HADDA ask... it's a new card, activated, with the entire limit available.  Do you NOT TAKE Walmart cards AT WALMART?  Then I borrowed the scissor she had right there for clothing tags, cut the card in half, and later mailed both pieces to wherever....

WOMEN.. that's the real problem ;)

Just remembered that one back when... 

Sometimes I was out of town for a couple days.  People don't want out of town checks, and sometimes wasn't right at a machine or terminal, so I usually had at least a little cash.

Schemin' witch had been in my wallet... took the last $30-something dollars.  Didn't bother to tell me.  Now, she was ALLOWED to get in my wallet.  And I didn't mind if she needed money and 'helped herself'.  But you'd think if you took ALL the money, you might mention that.. .. hey, you're going 150 miles out today, might get some cash when you stop somewhere.... Or better yet... just use the card and get your own cash out.

Nope, not a word. So I'm at the store... in the line... THEN find out I have no money.  Keep in mind, this was back when we didn't have a ATM every other street corner....

Red haired, blue eyed thing about 5'7" and 135.... SNIKEYS she was cute (prolly sttill is).  But only one girl cute enough she gets to do that... and that would be MOM .... ;)

happened to me just a few months ago after buying a rubber stamp online. The bank was quick but they didnt notify me that it had happened or that they had deactivated my card which I thought was strange. I found out only after my card was declined at home depot. When I asked the bank, quite angrily, why I wasnt made aware nearly 2 weeks after it was deactivated I was told because I didnt have "communication" set up on my account!!!??

You idiots send me information on new credit cards and loans 3 times a week but my card gets deactivated and suddenly communicating with me is forbidden?!

Worst was trying to remember everyone I had recurring payments set up on my card and contacting them. I forgot Straight Talk soooooooo ... yup no phone for a few days. I try and use paypal online now instead of giving small online shops my card number.

Edited by Boriqua

Oh, wait.. EVEN FUNNIER ....

Used to be a casey's store up the road.. lttle town i go through sometimes (used to date a gal down there).  Went in one night.. basically my butt was tired of being on that bike, but only an hour from home so didn't want to motel it.  So I stopped in for coffee / sandwich on the go.  For those who don't know Caseys, think BP or Kum 'n' Go.  Gas and snaks....

So I put $3 gas in the bike, got a snak. I owe her like just under $8.  But I didn't even think about cash.  Only got about $3.  I got a card, but their card reader is down.  I got a checkbook, but they won't take my check.. cuz I aint from here.  Oh, waitl... I got $100 bill inside my jacket pocket, just for this .. case I don't want to be stranded with nothing if I ever dump the bike or lose the wallet (or both).  ANd then the "kicker'... she WON"T TAKE the $100.  Says it's after 9:00 pm and she can't take anything over $20's.

WHAT @#$!@#!@#!$#!!  So I tell her look, I'll pay you with this $100. Nope. Okay, well then I'll write you a check, but I'll go home, come back in the morning with the cash, and BUY BACK my check.  Nope.  So somebody comes in, says there's a truck stop about 10 minutes over with a machine where you can get cash... which sounds like a plan.  NOPE..  Gal says if you try to leave without paying... "Im gonna call the sheriff". So I said.. THAS A GOOD IDEA... TELL HIM bring change for $100!!!!!! :rofl:

Never went back to that store (though I admit that I did 'smooch' that girl down that way again after that ;)  )

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Oh, wait.. EVEN FUNNIER ....

Used to be a casey's store up the road.. lttle town i go through sometimes (used to date a gal down there).  Went in one night.. basically my butt was tired of being on that bike, but only an hour from home so didn't want to motel it.  So I stopped in for coffee / sandwich on the go.  For those who don't know Caseys, think BP or Kum 'n' Go.  Gas and snaks....

So I put $3 gas in the bike, got a snak. I owe her like just under $8.  But I didn't even think about cash.  Only got about $3.  I got a card, but their card reader is down.  I got a checkbook, but they won't take my check.. cuz I aint from here.  Oh, waitl... I got $100 bill inside my jacket pocket, just for this .. case I don't want to be stranded with nothing if I ever dump the bike or lose the wallet (or both).  ANd then the "kicker'... she WON"T TAKE the $100.  Says it's after 9:00 pm and she can't take anything over $20's.

WHAT @#$!@#!@#!$#!!  So I tell her look, I'll pay you with this $100. Nope. Okay, well then I'll write you a check, but I'll go home, come back in the morning with the cash, and BUY BACK my check.  Nope.  So somebody comes in, says there's a truck stop about 10 minutes over with a machine where you can get cash... which sounds like a plan.  NOPE..  Gal says if you try to leave without paying... "Im gonna call the sheriff". So I said.. THAS A GOOD IDEA... TELL HIM bring change for $100!!!!!! :rofl:

Never went back to that store (though I admit that I did 'smooch' that girl down that way again after that ;)  )

That would be the time I would have read her the little note on the front about legal tender for all debts private and public.

When she said she'd call the cops, . . . I'd have give her my card, . . . and told her to have em call me, . . . no need to chase, . . . I'll meet em where ever is most convenient for them.

Then I would have walked out.

May God bless,

Dwight

I ran into the "no cash over XX dollars" for the first time back in the 80's, and managed to get my gas paid for by card... but .. I asked a lawyer friend of mine about it later, and this is what I was told.   Cash is in fact legal tender, and if the store legitimately cannot change the bill then that is a valid situation.  If they will not change the bill that's a totally different situation and you owe them nothing.   I don't know if you'd get away with that in reality, but that was the legal situation in Florida at the time.   Could be different now and other places.

Bill

I think Jeff's answer was brilliant "Great call the sheriff and ask him to bring change ... "

I would be in a bad way ... I hardly ever have cash. I think If I looked hard in my card wallet between some stuff I might find a five spot. I adopted debit cards hook line and sinker. The wife and I have one blank credit card for an emergency which is tucked away in a safe so  .... I would have to go to jail then .. but ya get a sandwich , some juice and a fruit so ..

Edited by Boriqua

Yeah, in the end she DID call the "sheriff". But the guy that showed up was the PREVIOUS sheriff, whose niece I was 'smoochin' at the time!  He walks in, says "this the guy right here?"  and when I turned around he says "Hey.. .I know that boy!"

Actually, I thought my answer was purdy quick-... but Alex done gone ruined that.. I never thought o the free lunch over at the jail !

Edited by JLSleather

Someone stole my card number, and they must have loaded up a fake card with my info. They proceeded to go to walmart and buy $60-90 worth of stuff back to back till they couldn't buy anything else. Then they went to taco bell and the gas station and bought $1-2 worth of stuff until the card maxed out. I had to talk to the card folks for an hour on the phone reassuring them that I didn't buy that stuff, and that I have never even been to Las Vegas. I had o fill out an affidavit before they would reverse the charges.

Been there done that. On my way to work tried to use my debit card and it was denied which was strange because I knew there was money in the account. Went online to check the account and during the night someone had made two purchases at a Walmart in Lawton, OK and one at a Walmart in Wichita Falls, Tx totaling $1275.00 before the card company shut the card down. At least they didn't get the stuff they tried to get online from Ralph Lauren.   Fortunately it was placed back in my account.

ChriJ

Exactly what Ive got going on here, ChriJ.  Two charges went through, and when I called the card company, that gal said they caught it and shut it off - but there were a lot more right behind it.

In teh end, the amount will be put back on my card.  But, the price of 2x4's just went up at Home Depot, where they will add the price of fraud protection right into the price of what they sell.  So bottom line, we're all paying for this type of thing ...

Yep, we're all paying for it. The banks and credit card companies write it off as a cost of doing business.  And the ones that are doing it just use the info they have until the card is closed, then move on to the next victim because they know that no one is going to try to follow up on it. Would cost too much, cheaper to put money back in the victim's account. The one's who used my account had to give an address for the online purchase and it would have to be a good address so they would get their ill gotten booty. Easy enough to follow up on but of course no one will!

Rant over

Chris