mustangman2

air brush

I'm looking for a cheap air brush, does anyone have any ideas what I should get and where is a good place to get one (harbor frieght?). I have never used one and am looking for some ideas. thanks

The HF will work ok I bought 2 of them, and one that came direct from china that is a recommendation from a thread here on the site.  I do like the one that came from china direct a little more than the one from HF, I also bought one of the compressors that has like a 3 gallon tank from HF.  Between all of it they have come in handy, I have used them more for some two tone belts that I make more than anything else, I really should use them more for holster work.  Help this helps but also look for the thread about airbrushing here, the search button should help or someone else I am sure will comment. 

ya that's true if ya got the bucks to buy with! I guess you could get yerself a 40 percent off coupon for hobbie lobbie and buy there.

6 hours ago, Roq said:

Buy once cry once, get a Paasche or Iawata.

Depends on the level of detail you need to be able to do.  Just general overal dye job doesn't need fancy setup artists use for drawing/painting fancy art.  Have a new Iawata in the drawer I have never used in the past 4 years.

Tom

4 minutes ago, northmount said:

Depends on the level of detail you need to be able to do.  Just general overal dye job doesn't need fancy setup artists use for drawing/painting fancy art.  Have a new Iawata in the drawer I have never used in the past 4 years.

Tom

My post was about the quality of the airbrush not detail work. You can get an Iawata around $55 usd and it will last a lifetime.

I've used a paasche vl for quite a while.  Get the entire set for about $60 ... including the cup, the hose, blahblahblah.. everything but the compressor.  Basically indestructible.. lasts forever and sprays everything from dye to top coats. Simple use and clean-up.

Each his own, but I don't see teh 'value' in saving $20 to get something that's basicaly a pain in the back to use. 

Great info, thank you all for the imput. I'm just thinking about starting with it, so i don't want to get frustrated with a POS, so may spend a little more money.  

the only thing I will suggest is that you buy a compressor with a tank and a replaceable water filter. The tankless ones will not give you the constant pressure you will want for spraying and if you are using non-water based dyes and finishes, you won't want moisture in the air line

I have two setups that I alternate between depending on what I'm working on.

For smaller or more detailed projects, I use the Neo Iwata Airbrush with the mini air compressor...

https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Feed-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B004INERK4

https://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Neo-Air-miniature-compressor/dp/B00DV4PTCQ/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1474423626&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=iwata+mini+air+compressor

For bigger projects and large-area dye jobs, I use a $12 airbrush from Home Depot with the Senco PC1010 air compressor...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-Gal-1-2-HP-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-PC1010/100615090

I don't need two setups - it just worked out that way. It depends on what projects you want to use it for. I am glad I started with the nicer Iwata airbrush, though, as the cheap one I have is not dual-action and I would not have known the difference.

I will say that I wish I would have researched how to clean my airbrush before I just jumped in to using it. It would've saved me the headache of cleaning dried up acrylic out of the tip. Check out airbrushtutor on Youtube.

I personally think folks should be working leather.  But if you absolutely have to watch tv (instead of working leather) check why-tube for ed hubbs.

The Harbor freight works fine and I still use it for some things but the Iwata hp I bought about a year ago is amazing. I used the 40% coupon and got it at hobby lobby so cost me about $70. I might have been able to get it a bit cheaper but my local hobby lobby only had it combined in a little kit with some paints and other junk so if you can find the brush alone it should be cheaper.

I used a large 2gal compressor for a couple of years but about 6 months ago I bought the small airbrush compressor from harbor freight and it has been wonderful. The cheapy 2 gal I bought was NOISY as hell and not only messed with my mojo but I live in a quiet retirement community so I wouldnt use it before say 9am and I like getting started earlier. If you are an apartment dweller or noise is a concern you may want to consider it. I wouldnt think twice. So far it has been great.

DONT buy those chinese kits from ebay. My first one the compressor died in days and I bought another set and the brush itself was miserable to use and lasted about 3 months.

This is awesome info, lots of good opinions and ideas. thanks everyone

Amazon you can get complete kits knock offs of iwata now Master brand ,including compressor ,airbrush $70-$80 bucks. If your not going to detail much get the brush with .08 needle.this is a gravity feed brush. Works great.