LearningLeather

Cylinder arm machine for sewing leather handbags

The AT335 and other Pfaff 335 clones are mainly used as binding machines, most of the time these machines are setup like this. Meaning they have throat plates, feed dogs, presser feet and other attachments especially for binding operations. You can convert them but if the parts are not included it may cost you some extra $. However, you can use them with the existing parts as a regulars sewing machine as well but he binder throat plate is not entirely flat, they have a cut out on the right side where the binder attachment extents into the throat plate. Also, the 335 type machines are vertical hook sewing machines (you load them from the left side) whereas the 227 type machines like the CB227 are horizontal hook machine (you load them from the top). As far as I know the 227 type machines can handle thicker thread better that the 335 type machines.

Guess you are living in the US, right? I ask because I recently have seen and unbelievable cheap offer for 335 machines in Germany.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/freiarm-leder-naehmaschine-mit-3-transportes-mit-ac-550w-motor/519759576-84-7526

Edited by Constabulary

You didn't state a location.  If you aren't sure what you need, then IF POSSIBLE I always recommend that you go SEE the machine you're thinking about.  

If it's a major hardship to go see it, then perhaps getting it serviced isn't easy either, so consider that.

If a dealer won't take a bit of time to show you how the machine works and what it does, then same thing -- perhaps getting it serviced isn't easy either, so consider that.

Plus, if you're already there looking at it, maybe they can load the machine and take it with you, saving a couple hundred shipping $$.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The AT335 and other Pfaff 335 clones are mainly used as binding machines, most of the time these machines are setup like this. Meaning they have throat plates, feed dogs, presser feet and other attachments especially for binding operations. You can convert them but if the parts are not included it may cost you some extra $. However, you can use them with the existing parts as a regulars sewing machine as well but he binder throat plate is not entirely flat, they have a cut out on the right side where the binder attachment extents into the throat plate. Also, the 335 type machines are vertical hook sewing machines (you load them from the left side) whereas the 227 type machines like the CB227 are horizontal hook machine (you load them from the top). As far as I know the 227 type machines can handle thicker thread better that the 335 type machines.

Guess you are living in the US, right? I ask because I recently have seen and unbelievable cheap offer for 335 machines in Germany.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/freiarm-leder-naehmaschine-mit-3-transportes-mit-ac-550w-motor/519759576-84-7526

These adverts are a hoax. He doesn't sell for the advertising price. If you follow the link to his shop, you'll find the machine for 1150 Euros plus shipping instead of the advertised 670. And he doesn't have them in stock. You pay first, then he orders them, and then you can wait for two months. Also, sewtex has a rather so-so reputation for setup, quality control and customer service. There are even reports of fires because motors were delivered with the wrong voltage. 

Consti, you know that company, don't you?

Greets

Ralf C.

The OP appears to be from Gainsville Florida according to the IP address.  Maybe someone in the area can recommend a dealer close by.  And of course, we recommend supporting our banner advertisers since they support this site, and provide better backup service than many local shops with no leather machine experience.

Tom

Edit:. I'd like to see all members post their location since this is a worldwide forum.  It helps us/you provide more relevant information and help.

Edited by northmount

Agree with showing the location (personally I think it should be compulsory).

I bought a Pfaff 335, which as Constabulary said was set up for edge binding. It can be used for normal stitching as is, but isn't ideal. It cost me about $200 to get all the bits I needed to convert it back to a normal feed (plus a bit of work). Another thing to consider is the motor. The chances are that the Pfaff will come with a clutch motor, which is not the best for a newcomer to start with (I changed mine to a servo = extra cost). The chances are that the Cowboy will come with a servo motor which will give you much better low speed control.

If you can afford it I'd go with the Cowboy. Parts will also be cheaper and easier to obtain.

Thanks everyone! Tom is right, I'm in Gainesville, home of University of Florida gators. Didn't realize this forum was world wide. I think I will go with the Cowboy. One of my bag making friends who has the AT335 is having tension issues from using thread thicker than 90.

There's no cylinder arm machines anywhere in N Fl, maybe in Miami, but that's too far. I think I'll order from Toledo Sewing in Ohio. Another friend has the Cowboy and her stitching is beautiful. She got her's from Bob Kovar at Toledo.