ScottyBallz

Question about the singer 111w

Hello everybody,

It is time for me to make the next step in my leather work and buy a nice sewing machine. I found a used singer 111w with a Servpro motor and walking foot for a decent price. I just want to make sure it can handle the type of work I do. Does anyone know what thickness of leather this machine is able to handle? Most of the work I do is about 1/4" thick. 

Thank you!

I once owned a Singer 111w155 and it was good up to 1/4" with #138 thread. I tried sewing thicker but the needle would get stuck in the leather. Now, it will sew bridle leather a little thicker, as it is less dense than plain carving leather.

I do have a long arm Singer that is based on the 111 mechanism. It is capable of sewing 5/16" maximum. I keep it threaded with #92 thread and use it for lighter projects, like wallets, zippers, phone cases, hemming, etc.

Thank you for the quick responses guys. I think I will probably go with this machine after getting your advice. Like I said most of my jobs are 1/4" or less of leaf oak veg tan leather so I think this machine will serve its purpose well. Thanks again!!!

Ya may wanna get a speed reducer to up the torque if you wanna sew slow. Mine will sew just fine with 138 (have done 207 but that is what my 4500 is for) however on the thicker vegtan stuff it will want to take off because of the required speed to get the required torque to get punching.

If it's a 155 then it should be more than adequate for your needs, and coming with a servo is the icing on the cake.

46 minutes ago, dikman said:

If it's a 155 then it should be more than adequate for your needs, and coming with a servo is the icing on the cake.

Awesome, that's very good to hear. I ended up purchasing it today along with a speed reducer to really dial it in. It should be here next week sometime. I'm pretty excited to try it out. Thank you for all the advice everyone!

I love my 111w155.  It's the "go-to" machine.  I do sometimes wish it had reverse, but its not a big deal really.  I am running 207/138 on it now, but I think it does better with 138/138.