Chrism

2 liner options for wallet?

when you say a liner, are you referring to lining the cash slot, lining card slots to hold cards or the piece you are attaching the card slot to? Each option will change the answer for me

If it's lining the cash slot, I go with cloth. If you are talking about the  lining on card slots, ribbon. If you are referring to the backing, 2/3 oz veg tan.

If it's something else, we need to have more details

Thanks guys for some reason couldn't reply. would you go with all 2/3oz on the interior? I've been using 4/5 on all interior and exterior but looking to get a sleek look. and halitech that was a question for the cash slot much appreciated. 

Edited by Chrism

I personally never use cloth or ribbon for any elements within a wallet or other item as they fray, wear, and do ultimately fail creating a mess that isn't easy to repair.  All of my pockets are individually cut from 2 to 3 oz. veg-tan and then stitched along the bottom edge (approx. 1/8" in from edge) to the main panel where the cards will be carried.  I use the "T" method on my pockets so that each pocket will overlap an open space which helps keep the overall thickness at the edges down and makes allows for a professional designer style appearance.  I start with the inner most (bottom) pocket and work my way to the top until they are all in place.  I have attached some images showing the parts after being cut out, and what the finished item looks like.

The back (outside) is made from 4 - 5 oz. veg-tan; interior and slot panels are made from 3 - 4 oz. veg-tan; pockets are made from 2 - 3 oz. veg-tan.  Final thickness is well less than 1/2" when folded.  

20141221_153509.jpg

20141222_132030.jpg

20141222_132048.jpg

20141222_132136.jpg

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

1 hour ago, Chrism said:

Thanks guys for some reason couldn't reply. would you go with all 2/3oz on the interior? I've been using 4/5 on all interior and exterior but looking to get a sleek look. and halitech that was a question for the cash slot much appreciated. 

Like NVL, I don't actually use much cloth for lining anything. Usually the only time I do is if I'm lining the cash slot with RFID blocking material and then I double the top over and sew everything else in between the layers. Personally, I go 4/5 for the back (outside) and then 3/4 for the inside and then 3/4 that's been split to 2/3 for the pockets

Try some Kidskin from Springfield. It's 2 oz. I've used it for the entire interior of wallets.

It's reasonably priced and there are lots of colors to choose from.

wallet.JPG

I was going to run there today  (I'm about 2 1/2hrs away but didn't make it). always get leather from there ;). good group of peogle and a huge variety of items to choose from (I only go to tandy for dyes of needed and small and stuff since they are closer). anyways I prefer veg tan as it can be dyed the same somewhat with all the pieces. but question would it be best to go with the herman oak on all or for the the (pockets etc) go with calfskin? there's like a 3$ ft price difference but cutting, skiving, tooling on herman oak (skiving is so much easier than imported) is wayyyy better. 

Edited by Chrism

I only use Hermann Oak but there are times when I have used a veg-tan pigskin as well.  Only problem with the pigskin is finding one that actually looks clean enough to work with; hasn't been easy past couple of years so I just go with the H.O. all around for consistency in color and appearance.

thefanninator, do you line the pockets as well? I've been trying to figure out how to line everything, but it seems like I would need to split everything down to about 0.5mm or 1oz. But maybe there's another way.

20 hours ago, thefanninator said:

Try some Kidskin from Springfield. It's 2 oz. I've used it for the entire interior of wallets.

It's reasonably priced and there are lots of colors to choose from.

wallet.JPG

1 hour ago, mishkin said:

thefanninator, do you line the pockets as well? I've been trying to figure out how to line everything, but it seems like I would need to split everything down to about 0.5mm or 1oz. But maybe there's another way.

I have not lined pockets yet. Maybe I will one day. Yes, it would probably need to be split down to .5mm or so.

Edited by thefanninator