cjartist

Singer 211 G 466 Thoughts on this one?

I was browsing Craigslist and came across a Singer 211G 466.  I also found it listed on eBay.

Singer 211G 466

I can certainly see some problems with this machine the way it sits and the seller has not been able to test it.

It is currently wired for 220V and does not have a belt, feet, or spool holder (at the very least).  I don't know enough about sewing machines to know what else might be missing. From what I have found online about this machine I believe it is a walking foot machine and should be able to handle a good amount of leather.

I would need to convert this to 110V to be of any use to me and as I said, no one knows if it works.  So, what do you think it is worth as it sits?  Can you see any other problems with it? Thanks for any help on this,

Cheryl

IMHO keep on lookin. Looks like a bid and swap guy, no history what so ever on the machine, and at $500 its not a fraction of what they go for as his listing says. Maybe when it was new. 

I am not familier with that submodel, my 211g155 would do upholstery leather very well but was limited to 138 thread and was fast until I put a servo on it. 

Figure $500, plus new motor so about $650-700 depending on what ya got, plus any parts that need replacement your in about the range of a new machine. 

It does have a reverse lever, and this model as an industrial doesn't typically use a spool holder they use a giant spool on adjacent stand, thus less getting up : )

Its considered a top load having the bobbin easily accessed. I have an older similar non walker I bought my sister lunch for as she thought it would go to high if I raised my hand. She was correct, and that took a lot of work to properly setup for an 8 hour days usage, and you need that now. I hope that's not to harsh

If this is your first machine, I would pass and find another a bit more ready for you to put the pedal to the metal.

Some things that are really critical nowadays are following and will be required in this machine you have posted.

You will need bobbins, a different set of feet purchased, then tuned/setup properly. This is not ready to plug n play, sorry! you would be needing a 200.00 servo motor with a reducing pulley setup of a rough cost of another 150.00 all these items and preliminary work takes a bit of time and enjoyment, yet can be costly.

good day and please take this litely!?

Floyd

Thank you both for the responses.  I had no idea how much money a servo would set me back so thank you for that.  The reason I considered this machine was that it was close by.  I would never pay the asking price but thought that perhaps he would take less.

Yes, it would be a first machine for me.  I wish Toledo would list some of their used machine prices online just so I could get an idea of what is available and what budget I would need.  There is no way I can justify a $1500 machine purchase.  So I will keep looking.  Thanks again for your feedback!

I would still give Bob a call to see what they have. The 1206 RB is pretty decently priced for a new machine and it has a servo and all that with it. 

I will add that yes its an industrial machine, made to sew all day which is true of every other true industrial machine out there. Anything you get that can handle leather well, be it a machine that does upholstery leather all day long or one that does saddle parts all day is a industrial machine and shouldnt be shied away from. There are a ton of resources on operating and adjusting the 211g machines (maybe not so much the 466), that being said buying from a good standing dealer that doesnt mind taking the time to walk you thru some stuff is also very helpful.

Agree with him it is easier to start out with a fresh machine but not necessary if your resourceful. I have a 2 point philosophy when learning new machines/equipment/mechanical items in general. Buy old still operating items that you can repair and in doing such learn a ton or buy new and learn later. Sometimes the requirement is to be using the machine right out of the gate in which case new would be preferred. 

One big thing you didnt mention is what will you be making, what are your requirements for your projects?

Edited by MADMAX22

It's similar to a 211G266 (I think the 466 has a bigger bobbin), which are pretty capable machines, but it all depends on what you want to sew. It could be a good deal if the price was dropped (seeing that it's untested and they can't run it - they're saying that their warehouse doesn't have a 220v feed? Bit surprising for an industrial site). Of course, that assumes the internals are ok. The rust on the handwheel says it hasn't been touched for quite a while and the foot pedal is all rust! Tilt it back on its hinges and look underneath to see if the bits are coated in oil or bone dry and rusting - if the latter then probably go no further unless you know how to rebuild one. If that's ok then try turning it over by hand, it should be fairly easy to turn, and see if the various bits go up and down. Hold down the reverse lever and make sure the feed direction reverses. Try to adjust the stitch length.

The switch box on the front of the table looks like it has a cover missing (bit hard to tell), at the very least there's exposed wiring. None of the wiring matters, actually, because the best thing to do is discard the motor and wiring and fit a servo motor, but I'd just tell them that the motor and wiring look dodgy and it's going to cost to fix it. As for referring to the new cost that's irrelevant seeing that you haven't been able to buy them new for a very long time! It's basically an old machine of indeterminate condition (seeing that it can't be run).

I figure that you're probably not going to buy it, but this might give you some ideas for any future machines you may look at.

Even if you had 220V available at your place, you're probably going to want to swap the motor on that one -

The open fuse box shows that the motor is 3 phase!  You might / could talk down the price, based on that alone.                OTOH, you could set it up with a VFD, and have speed control that way, but still MIGHT want a reducer.

OTOOH, it looks about average condition for most of the machines we buy :~)

Edited by trash treasure

Excellent responses.  My desire for a machine probably outweighs my need at this point.  

If I had one I would use it for making chef knife rolls.  I made one, stitching everything by hand. That takes way too long to stitch all those pockets and still be able to sell them at a reasonable price. For those I would be stitching some sort of 4 oz to a liner.  I suspect that a medium duty machine would handle that ... IDK.

The other things I would consider using it for would be knife sheaths and rifle slings.

That, narrowing of the present need is great and I think a great step.

Flatbed machine is perfect and on the main projects just a servo with smallest pulley obtainable ?40 mm possibly.

With the slings they can be done in short pretty easy with out a pulley reducing setup ( which is a low gear kind of ) but the sheaths with many times 3 layers and tough should have a serious look at http://www.allbrands.com/products/13324-superior-sr-2-speed-reducer-3-6-9-pulley-install-b?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_term=Superior&gclid=CKj5-MHK8dACFZWCaQodbjcKqA

There are some dealers that frequent the site helping with questions at times and able to offer many of these as you may know. They could give some tips if phoned also, seems the phone is best.

So if still looking at machines as your photo, I would have them remove the motor so you would not have to deal with that, its worth a coffee at the scrap yard maybe a doughnut.  There are servos costing under 220.00 and there is experience on the site here for just about everyone so.

There are great machines selling everywhere, sometimes they turn up when not looking so just keep an eye open. craigslist, and others local are super for finding a deal.

Good day

Floyd

cj, a machine of that type should certainly do what you want BUT (always a but) the knife sheaths may be an issue if you try to make them too thick. While a VFD control is always a possibility if it's a 3-phase motor, as far as sewing machines go the best way is to simply fit a servo motor, regardless of what you buy. For a newbie it will make it so much easier to control the beast!

Once you make up your mind to buy one the desire to do so can be overwhelming, but don't rush in. For a first machine you need to know that it actually works so that you don't have to spend time (and money) sorting out problems. There's a lot to learn about these wee beasties and it's much easier if you have a working machine to start with. There's plenty of reading on here to help you understand what will suit your needs, and don't be scared to ask as there's lots of very cluey people on here (not me, I'm still learning!!).

Thanks Dikman,  I just find it extremely overwhelming that there are Sooooooooo many machines.  I guess that is where calling Toledo or another company that advertises here makes the most sense for getting into my first machine.