Uwe

Efka Variostop 3-Phase motor spins backwards

I'm working on an Adler 467-FA373 with an Efka Variostop control box and 220V 3-Phase motor.  Everything seems to work fine except the motor spins backwards!

I've looked through the Efka manuals, but found nothing about reversing the motor rotation. Before I change the wiring on the plug or motor itself to swap two of the three power leads  (the standard way to reverse a 3-phase motor), I wanted to check with the Efka experts here in case I'm missing something ("Hey just flip this switch!")

I'm a little concerned that if I change the wiring to suit my current 220V 3-phase power outlet at TechShop, that my potential customer will plug the machine into their 3-phase outlet and the motor will not spin in the right direction.

I'm attaching a few picture of the machine and the Efka bits.

IMG_6880.jpgIMG_6886.jpgIMG_6888.jpgIMG_6889.jpgIMG_6890.jpgIMG_6891.jpg

I'm no expert on the machines but I have worked plenty of 3 phase. Swapping any two leads on the main power supply will reverse the direction. If it is for a client you may need to ask them if the motor spins the right direction at his place. If so (after repairs are made), swap the leads back before returning it.

Uwe, assuming you didn't buy it new, could the previous owner have done just that - reversed the leads?

Reverse any two of the hot leads. The customer will have to do the same. 

Regards, Eric

I received the machine as part of a larger inventory, So I don't have any history for it other than that it once sewed La-Z-Boy brand reclining chairs. 

In the U.S. there are at least six different plugs in use for connecting 220V 3-Phase power, so it's quite likely that the plug was changed at some point to accommodate a certain wall outlet. 

How-to-wire-outlets-9-750.jpg

Not to worry, after January 20th the U.S. will standardize on a"T" shaped plug without ground and only a 50% chance of electrocuting yourself when you plug it in.

My machines are all wired to the L15-30R plugs. My power all comes from feed rails with trolleys connected to the female  plugs on SJ cords. I have gates in my feed rail so I can change motor rotation by taking the trolley out and just reversing it in the rail. If a gate isn't close, I just reverse two leads in the fuse box. 

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric, I was hoping you'd chime in!

What's the model number of the control box, this may help us locate an owners manual for you.  See attached image.

EfkaMotor.jpg

I got the machine to work, yay! I switched two leads inside the motor connector box and the 3-phase clutch motor spun the correct direction. 

The Efka controller is a 4P35P377Y2

IMG_6917.jpg

The closest Efka Manual I could find was the Efka 4P35A Manual, which talks about all the functions this controller has (I think.)

So the machine works and I'm very happy about that. I'd feel even better if I understood exactly how and why it works. I'm not 100% convinced yet that the lubrication system works as it should - I'm not seeing any bubbling or splashing of oil in the upper viewing window. I did fill up the reservoir, which, for some reason, was empty!

The underside of the machine looks intimidating and complex.

IMG_6894.jpgIMG_6895.jpgIMG_6897.jpg

This Adler and Efka combo has quite a few automated and switch actuated functions: Automatic starting lock stitches and end lock stitches (optional and configurable) activated by brief pedal taps front and back. Reverse via a little finger-operated toggle switch. Very cool, quick foot lift adjustment for alternate, maximum foot lift activated via knee switch for climbing over seams etc. Foot lift via pedal heeling. The automated thread cutter may need a little tweaking - it cuts most of the time but not always.

Speed control on this system is actually really good - I was surprised. This Efka may be the first clutch motor drive systems I actually liked!

Here's a demo video I made for the potential buyer of this machine:

Edited by Uwe

Hi Uwe, 

i went completely through one of these last year. The thread is pinned if you want a good look at the oil system. If it were me, I'd make sure there's oil getting to the top shaft. This machine has a complicated oil system. I converted Venators to an "oil it yourself" system. The lack of oil had caused some serious issues. Good job getting the motor going. 

Regards, Eric