Stefka

Prevent loose stitch ends?

How do you end the thread so it doesn't come out of the holes. I wrapped the end a few times on my straps and the end came out already. I back stitch on other parts of the bags. But the ends of the strap I wanted to wrap to protect the points from opening. Maybe a dot of glue? 

I back stitch and then cut my thread ends about 1/6 in from the work. I then take a lighter and heat up the ends until they start to melt then squash them with my thumb so they form a little mushroom cap. If the stitch is on an inside I will never be able to get to again should anything happen I do all the above and then put a drop of crazy glue.

Edited by Boriqua

I have watched tutorials that mention that if you are running a straight line stitch that doesnt loop around to where you started you back stitch the beginning and end. If you are completing a stitched loop, you over stitch when you come around to the beginning stitches by about 2-3 stitch holes rather than back stitch. I use heat to singe the thread end but im considering getting a more close quarter scissor and doing a slight dab of glue applied by a blunted awl. I've noticed if you singe the thread after a little rub here and there it is prone to fray back out to its original length. 

Lots of ways to do it and most depend on the end costs required. For expensive watch band work I use a dob of glue with a thin bolt ground down like a needle shape and then blunted squarely off giving a flat point about the size of the thickness of the needle used in stitching. I touch the tip into a pva woodglue puddle and then into the hole and press the thread in. Following this sometimes a quick wipe to check there is no visible excess. About 30 seconds in on this video should help some I think.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw43Isosh_s

Regards Brian