ultimatemcnab

Leather terminology for begginers.

Hello again. I guess this may sound like a silly posting but here goes.

Were you ever at a point in your leather craft challenges when you knew what you needed but did not know what the correct leather artisans name or term was for an item ? Makes it difficult to describe to someone over the phone or by mail - and can be embarrassing and frustrating for both parties ! Like you need to order this thing NOW , but heck you don't know what its called. I'm sure I can't be the only sucker. The lack of knowledge can be a spoiler , especially if you're an obstinate , arrogant fool with to much pride to ask. Gets you nowhere fast.

Okay so you know where I am at this point - I have evolved ! Damn , that was difficult !!

So I humbly ask , are there any comprehensive books regarding the description of tools and their uses as well as their correct names. Also the correct names for hardware and the uses , dyes , and all the every day stuff you would likely use in leather work ? I believe the US will have different names for the same item as opposed to the UK. Terminology within the US varies a bit anyhow I have observed. I am sure some books exist on these topics that are pretty uniform.

I just need a good reference book with diagrams / photo's to assist me get over this hurdle to assist me when ordering items. A buyers guide.

Hope some soul out there understands my plight and will come to the rescue.

Thanks - Roybee.

To add further to the confusion names many vary within a country or even within a town.

Yeah - terminology for tools, techniques, designs and hardware can be challenging.  But, a good place to start is Tandy's leathercraftlibrary and their e-books.  Most of those are electronic versions of books they used to, and in some cases still sell.  

Al Stohlman's leathercraft tools book is pretty good for tools, their use and care.  It's not TOTALLY complete, but a good start.  There have been a LOT of more obscure special use tools over the last couple hundred years, so you can't expect to find all of 'em in one place.  As for names - yeah... they vary a little but there's more in common than not at least.

Stohlman's How to color leather and coloring leather are good, if dated - good sound advice tho.  Coloring with Eco Flo is also available, although many don't much care for the eco flo dyes.  And at the price of free - eco flo dying and finishing guide is certainly priced right!   Fiebings also has a guide to their dyes that's pretty decent.For technique, Stohlman's hand sewing leather book is again a good start, but it mostly represents one way of sewing leather - and many prefer other techniques - but again it's a good jumping off point.  For another take on sewing, one of the better resources is Nigel Armitage's youtube channel where he shows you a somewhat different style. 

Also on the leathercraft library are three volumes on case making by Stohlman which while the projects are mostly very dated do a good job of demonstrating sound techniques.

The above will get you a long way toward where you want to go - but from there on what you study and read will depend somewhat on what you want to make and do!

Hardware is a little harder to find resourced for - since there is such a HUGE variety around.  There is some stuff listed in the above resources and books tho.

Bill

In addition to the great suggestions above, you might just spend a bit of time on Tandy and/or Springfield Leather Co.'s websites.  Everything is categorized and described and there are pictures of the tools and such.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

In addition to the great suggestions above, you might just spend a bit of time on Tandy and/or Springfield Leather Co.'s websites.  Everything is categorized and described and there are pictures of the tools and such.

To add to this, you should be able to get some catalogs for free.  Tandy puts out a big one once a year.  Not sure on any of the other companies though.

Thanks for your helpful responses. Is there a recently released book on holster making out there. Books I have seen advertised seem to be older gen and orientated more toward revolvers. Alternatively are there people willing to sell pattern templates for both revolvers and pistols ?

There is a type of post screw I have seen used in holster making that has a rubber cylinder that acts as a tensioner - what is the correct name for that accessory ?

JLS Leather has lots of free holster patterns on his site. He also has an instructions page.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

JLS Leather has lots of free holster patterns on his site. He also has an instructions page.

Good luck.

Plus 1 for Jeff. Good information and he is on here and very helpful with advise.

Here's the link to JLSLeather's holster pattern thread on this site.  LOTS of good info there - I have yet to try a holster, but then I have little need since I only have a little plinker .22 that lives in it's original 1950s box with the manual and stuff and hasn't been fired in years.    It's a funny thing how quickly the cops are likely to show up if you fire a gun in the city, so it's not likely to be carried anytime soon.  I may still try to make one - just for the challenge, tho, but I'll probably have to come up with my own design.

You'll probably want to spend some time looking around the Holster, rifle slings and knife sheaths forum on here.  It's one of the most active forums with a huge amount of info, including a couple of recent threads about holster tension screws.  

Bill

Hopefully JLS will be around soon. He is a wealth of straight to the point usable information  when it comes to making holster. He takes the mystery and the bs out-of it

You guys are great. Thanks a lot for your help. Still looking for where I can buy the limited stretch / heavy duty elastic for making suspenders.

Try checking out a supplier for Auto restorers. They sometimes have need of heavy duty elastic in various widths.