Hi, everyone!!

This project is far from done, but I just wanted to share some progress. This is one of the pockets that will go on the side of a new camera bag I'm making.

It is my first attempt at piping and inside sewing. I mafe the piping myself from the same leather I used in all the project. I'll share my process once I'm done with the rest of it (I have yet to make another four stripes: two for the other side pocket and two for the bag's main compartment. It's all coming together rather nicely, I tell you!!

IMG_6937.JPG

Looking really good so far!!  Can't wait to see the rest.

thanks a lot, Billy!! I'll keep posting as I advance through the assembly.

Wow this looks great! Not sure I like the straps with the flesh side out, think it distracts from a beautiful bag.

1 hour ago, Bigfoote said:

Wow this looks great! Not sure I like the straps with the flesh side out, think it distracts from a beautiful bag.

Man!! That's an issue that floated around in my head a lot before actually deciding to go with it. In the end, I went for ease of use and whole pieces... I didn't like how it looked sewn together and twisted around in the middle... although that joint could be easily hidden behind the keepers... something to think about, anyway. There's still time before I finish this baby.

Thanks for the feedback, man! I really appreciate it.

If that's just a pocket for the camera case, you made need to name the case "Hercules".

Looks really great.

That is some really slick looking work.  I'm also on the fence about the straps, maybe if they weren't quite so fuzzy...

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

If that's just a pocket for the camera case, you made need to name the case "Hercules".

Looks really great.

hahaha!!... I might!!

But it's not really that big... I think.

The main compartment will be about 10x14x6 inches... with the pockets attached to it, the 14 inches become about 20, though...

3 hours ago, Grey Drakkon said:

That is some really slick looking work.  I'm also on the fence about the straps, maybe if they weren't quite so fuzzy...

smoothing them down... that'd be an interesting way to go and keep things as planned until now. Thanks for the suggestion!!

4 hours ago, EfrainBG said:

Man!! That's an issue that floated around in my head a lot before actually deciding to go with it. In the end, I went for ease of use and whole pieces... I didn't like how it looked sewn together and twisted around in the middle... although that joint could be easily hidden behind the keepers... something to think about, anyway. There's still time before I finish this baby.

Thanks for the feedback, man! I really appreciate it.

Maybe try some Gum Trag on the straps and then burnish then real good. That will get rid of the fuzz anyway. Too nice of a bag to leave the straps like that. Great job on the piping, better than I have ever done yet!

Just now, Bigfoote said:

Maybe try some Gum Trag on the straps and then burnish then real good. That will get rid of the fuzz anyway. Too nice of a bag to leave the straps like that. Great job on the piping, better than I have ever done yet!

that's a great suggestion. I was thinking of a couple rounds of carnauba-let dry-polish. This is because I've noticed that when carnauba dries out it leaves a farily hard texture on the leather and eases up the sanding work. That's actually how I burnished the edges that are seen in the picture.

I'll explore this issue in good depth these next two weeks, which is, give or take, my estimated date of finishing.

thanks again!!

Gum Trag will stick those fibers down, especially if you have a glass slicker. I use it on the flesh side of most of my stuff to smooth it out after removing the tape I use to keep the leather from stretching when I tool. Let it soak in a little and a little elbow grease will have it looking nice. A bone folder will work if you don't have a glass slicker.

I have a camera without a case (hint, hint) . . . .

I know I'm in the minority, but to me the reversed straps shout handmade and unique.  Yeah they are a little fuzzy, but kind of cool.  Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is superb.  Thanks for posting this.  Now I'm going to go have a beer and sulk about what it would look like if I tried to make it.

15 hours ago, MikeG said:

I have a camera without a case (hint, hint) . . . .

I know I'm in the minority, but to me the reversed straps shout handmade and unique.  Yeah they are a little fuzzy, but kind of cool.  Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is superb.  Thanks for posting this.  Now I'm going to go have a beer and sulk about what it would look like if I tried to make it.

Thanks a lot, Mike!! I want to see how those look on the finished bag before making a decission. All the straps in the bag will be dettachable and will double as a cargo straps for additional stuff... you know, tripods, water bottle, blanket, whatnot... that's why it didn't bother me that much at the beginning, but, now that the elephant in the room has been noticed, the comments make sense.

7 hours ago, EfrainBG said:

Thanks a lot, Mike!! I want to see how those look on the finished bag before making a decission. All the straps in the bag will be dettachable and will double as a cargo straps for additional stuff... you know, tripods, water bottle, blanket, whatnot... that's why it didn't bother me that much at the beginning, but, now that the elephant in the room has been noticed, the comments make sense.

It's an awesome job there, can't wait to see the finished product. Everyone here knows how hard it is to make a nice case like that, but sometimes we have opinions. Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the straps, but that was just my opinion. The main thing is it's an awesome nice job so far and you should be proud of it!

That is some really beautiful work. I am looking forward to seeing the completed bag.

Very nice bag!

Cool bag, I love the piping. One thing you could do is line the straps so the back side matches the front. Wouldn't take too long for that length. 

14 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

It's an awesome job there, can't wait to see the finished product. Everyone here knows how hard it is to make a nice case like that, but sometimes we have opinions. Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the straps, but that was just my opinion. The main thing is it's an awesome nice job so far and you should be proud of it!

Not a problem, Bigfoote. Opinions -specially different opinions- help in getting better.

8 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

That is some really beautiful work. I am looking forward to seeing the completed bag.

Thanks a lot!!

1 hour ago, MonicaJacobson said:

Cool bag, I love the piping. One thing you could do is line the straps so the back side matches the front. Wouldn't take too long for that length. 

Thank you, Monica. I didn't quite get the comment about lining up the straps... they go all the way around the pocket, if that's what you mean...

Just now, EfrainBG said:

Thank you, Monica. I didn't quite get the comment about lining up the straps... they go all the way around the pocket, if that's what you mean...

I'm sorry... I just understood what you meant: lining as in pasting and sewing a second layer instead of A-ligning...