Sign in to follow this  
jialuni

How to finish edge and keep bevel?

Hi! I really like the way this company does the edges on their products (keeping the bevel) and I'm wondering how to achieve the same edge finish without burnishing to a round edge like most other leather products?

(https://alstadgoods.com/products/slim-jim-whiskey)

avund1.png

avund2.jpg

Edited by jialuni
more detail

That looks like edge paint to me. could be wrong but pretty sure it is. Not overly done either, just a thin layer. 

You can burnish flat somewhat with a flat burnishing tool just a little more difficult IMHO because the edges want to bulge out a little. 

Try getting the edges damp then edging with a sharp edger.  It will partially burnish the edge as it cuts and may get you what you want.  

Ah I see, thanks for the advice! Do you think the fibers of the beveled edge would come up and look messy over time since it might not be as well sealed as typical round burnished edges? And if so is there a way to prevent that? Would beeswax help to seal it?

Beeswax should help.  I apply it near the end to fill in any small holes left from burnishing and even things out.  Grab a scrap piece and give it a go.  

I'm guessing they burnished then applied black dye or edge coat and then took the corner off with an edger.  It was not slicked after edging.

Could always ask them via email and see if they feel like responding.