Brianm77

Money clip supplier

I have a request for a wallet, and I was thinking about building a few anyway. Now I am in the need of some money clips similar to the ones shown.  The one on the left I would like a little more gradual slope to the end.  I have looked what seems like all through the internet and they either look built cheap or they want $80 or some crap.   

My question is does anyone have a source for quality wallet parts like these clips that won't cost an arm and a leg?

IMG_1343.PNG

I am curious if the one on the left lifts up on a spring tension thing or not? I make one for a bill-fold style that we do occasionally and that is not all that hard to bend into shape. I start by getting a place that works with stainless to cut me some thin strips and then I just cut them to length and sand the end rounded then bend them into shape with a tool I made up for the job. Something to consider and it gives a point of original difference to your product.. 

I'm using .9mm and I have been doing them on and off for 4 or 5 years and never yet heard any problems or complaints. I don't use bill folds myself so I can not be 100% sure.The strips cost me about 70c each and take generally with practice about 5min to sand and bend into shape.I cut a slot down an allen key to enable the close bending operation.The bending is done with the plastic protector sheeting still on. I will get you some pics if you want.Regards Brian

The one on the left looks more like a belt clip was used.

7 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

I have a request for a wallet, and I was thinking about building a few anyway. Now I am in the need of some money clips similar to the ones shown.  The one on the left I would like a little more gradual slope to the end.  I have looked what seems like all through the internet and they either look built cheap or they want $80 or some crap.   

My question is does anyone have a source for quality wallet parts like these clips that won't cost an arm and a leg?

IMG_1343.PNG

The one on the left is actually a holster clip so it is pretty much set in its shape and usefulness; for the one on the right (that is actually a money clip) there are plenty of sources:

Springfield Leather
Tandy Leather
Ohio Travel Bag

and I am sure that there are many others.  For bulk, you might want to go with Springfield or Ohio Travel Bag as their pricing is much better than Tandy.  And, just for the record, they all get their hardware from the same source so you decide how much you want to pay for them.  The leather is easy to cut your self and there is no reason to purchase it as a pre-cut kit as you end up paying way too much for them that way and half the time you will find that not one single piece lines up with the next one.

I too was looking for this with poor results.  I decided RockyAussie's plan was the best deal.  You can even buy the blanks through several suppliers on Etsy in brass, copper, or whatever you like.  I think the brass or copper would be easier to bend than stainless.  They make rounded jeweler's pliers that would be ideal for making round curves when you bend.

I for sure am not going to buy kits.  I need to make a wallet and wanted to make a few more.  Those pics are from another maker.  The problem with brass I think would be not enough spring back to hold its shape. 

Can an someone tell me what the minimum is for Ohio travel bag?

As far as the belt clip, that is what I figured.  I am looking for the money clip version. Both clips.  Springfield is the only one of those I haven't checked, well also Tandy.  I had not intended on checking Tandy though. 

Just lookd at SLC and they had something similar to what I was looking for but has a concho adapter,  I will call them in the morning and see if I am just missing it, or maybe the have it and it is not listed or something. 

Here are the item links:

Flip-Clip Money Clip at Springfield Leather:  http://springfieldleather.com/?ck=xUQw_etHAs_7p0zT&vid=b2XHhCklAmaR-u3B&cktime=149339&cart=4431&promocode=&promocodeaction=overwrite&shipmeth=18398&gc=clear&chrole=14&fragment=/Money-Clip-Flip-Np

Flip-Clip Money Clip at Ohio Travel Bag:  https://ohiotravelbag.com/products/item/65f591e3-b8a9-4418-8b91-b9ebc85907c2/C-1816

For Ohio Travel Bag you will need to register for a Wholesale Account first and then you can place an order, minimum order amount is $30 for them; Springfield has no minimum.

5 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

So it just take a $30 min from OTB to make an account?  Is there like a yearly min?

That minimum is per order but once you start getting the supplies that you will go through it doesn't take much to get to that number; there is no annual requirement with them.

5 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

How about the plain ones,  do not many people use those?

By plain I am assuming that you are talking about the simple belt clip style?  Those are not for money clip use even though you may see some labeled as such or used as such; they are worthless for this use and have no use as a belt clip either as they are not very rigid or strong.  I only use the flip-clip style and the spring loaded bar clips for fold over type money clip wallets.

I have one that was bought years ago from one of the big box department stores.  It has a solid metal clip.  I don't like the spring clips because that is just one more thing to break.  The one I have been carrying originally had  a thin chrome tan covering over both sides of the clip but that wore off.  This is something I need to make for myself just haven't gotten around to it.  Thanks for the info on Ohio Travel Bag.

Not sure if this is the type of clip you want to make but thought it might help a bit with ideas at least.See picsDSC07347_resize.JPG.390570686a9c2ea32825667b444454f4.JPG

This shows clip in finished billfold

DSC07349_resize.JPG.e13b1cdf91498147154fb0c7a3b3c5d9.JPG

Piece at bottom shows as cut from stainless steel supplier cost about 70c perDSC07350_resize.JPG.878f3976eae85a4429e131115dd6bcc6.JPG

This pic shows bending angles with allen key that I have cut slot into.Plastic still attached.DSC07351_resize.JPG.c84cb3399c089f9d093354ff0d0970fa.JPG

Final bend done and tapped with mallet at bend to make more springy. Hope that inspires some at least. Regards Brian:rockon:

On 3/20/2017 at 9:56 AM, RockyAussie said:

Not sure if this is the type of clip you want to make but thought it might help a bit with ideas at least.See pics

Thanks for the idea Brian, I need a spring like this for the skiver's presser-foot.  Just need to find the right material. 

blade-spring.jpg

4 hours ago, gigi said:

Thanks for the idea Brian, I need a spring like this for the skiver's presser-foot.  Just need to find the right material. 

blade-spring.jpg

A bit of stainless around 1mm thick should do it. If your not to worried about looks I have been guilty of cutting up a steel ruler before and bending to suit a particular application.They are normally quite springy. As you have probably noticed a lot of my tools are more about function than looks.

15 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

A bit of stainless around 1mm thick should do it. If your not to worried about looks I have been guilty of cutting up a steel ruler before and bending to suit a particular application.They are normally quite springy. 

Thanks a lot, great idea: I'll use a steel ruler. Takes too long to order the original part. 

15 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

As you have probably noticed a lot of my tools are more about function than looks.

Noticed that, I mainly care about the function also. Have you thought about patenting some inventions?

7 hours ago, gigi said:

Noticed that, I mainly care about the function also. Have you thought about patenting some inventions?

Some I would liked to have but at the end of the day you have to have the money to legally do something about it if it is infringed. Or more than the other guy at least. I have done one I think it will have to get done in bulk in China and quickly mass marketed before others come up with their own versions of it.It is a manual lever device for pulling out Lantana and such weeds, can dig trenches pull out star pickets and many other change tip applications.It is mostly useful for rural and landscape applications.It has the power to allow an average person to lift a shipping container of the ground on one side.At this stage I just need to win the lotto though.:P