Hello all,

I'm looking for what you all think would be the best Stamping Surface that would be portable. Our group has around 40 kids ranging from 1st graders to High School. The boys meet every week in our Church's Hall, so whatever we bring we have to remove every week, so I can't see lugging 40 pieces of stone around or even 20 if we have them do it in shifts. :-)

I'm new to leatherwork unless you count a girl scout project many years ago. I've been slowly buying stamps when my boys showed some interest at the end of last summer figured by the time this summer rolled around I'd have a few things for them to work with, but now our FNE troop (Federation of North American Explorers) is thinking of this for few projects. Also any recommended sites to get bulk items would also help. We have a Tandy Store fairly close so when I'm up that way I try to stop in and buy one or two items, but with 40 kids it's going to get expensive.

Any help and or ideas would be great!

Tracie

The Boy Scouts Council where I live uses 6" x 6" pieces of poundo board that you can get at Tandy Leather.  I helped during a Leatherworking merit badge class with about 30 kids and everything fit into 2 or 3 of those big Rubbermaid tubs and moved with a dolly.

You should ask if there is anything you can borrow from the Tandy store.  I have done that on occasion since they have tools that they use for their classes.  As long as they are not doing a class at the same time it might work for you.  They also came out and helped me with a class I did for a Girl Scout Troop and offered to do it again.  (they provided a free project too).

Hope that helps.

Dale

if you have any place locally that does marble counter tops you could get sink cutouts cheaply if not free

On 3/24/2017 at 0:52 PM, oceansidemommy said:

Hello all,

I'm looking for what you all think would be the best Stamping Surface that would be portable. Our group has around 40 kids ranging from 1st graders to High School. The boys meet every week in our Church's Hall, so whatever we bring we have to remove every week, so I can't see lugging 40 pieces of stone around or even 20 if we have them do it in shifts. :-)

Any help and or ideas would be great!

Tracie

Can you tell us what kind of projects you are doing?  How long / how wide / what thickness of leather???

The poundo boards is a great idea, . . . but so is an 8 inch long, 2 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick piece of steel.  I use even smaller pieces sometimes when I'm too lazy to get up and go get my piece of marble.

Just let us know, . . . some of us may have some even better ideas.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 3/24/2017 at 10:52 AM, oceansidemommy said:

Hello all,

I'm looking for what you all think would be the best Stamping Surface that would be portable.

Tracie

In my early days, I used to use a piece of 1/4" Masonite hardboard about 8" x 8".  Placed on a sturdy table works well.  Makes some racket, not as good as a marble slab, but works and is more portable.

Tom