bikermutt07

Shout out to Black River Laser.

I know most people make their own templates. I have made a few of my own and haven't always had success. It's not that I'm not capable. It's because I only have so much time at the bench. 

I work a full time physical job, am in my 40s, and have a four year old. I can't blow time on templates that fail (I already have a card wallet that won't fit cards).

Plus, nice templates provide easy repeatability down the line.

So, Friday night I ordered 7 new templates from Black River Lasers. They arrived this afternoon.

They have extra stock discounted on their eBay page right now. They were even cool enough to send me a bonus gift (thanks for that).

So, if your bench time is limited, like mine, consider giving them a shot.

Well now you cant stop there, you have to give it up on what ya bought and if there aint no phots it didn't happen!

1. Strap gauge

2. Wallet (front pocket)

3. Wallet (front pocket, but different)

4. Snuff can holster (I live in red neckville).

5. Guitar pick keychain

6. Belt templates

7. Zippo case

I won't have any pictures for a bit.

ooh kay have fun with them!

Yeah, you called me out.

I'll have a wallet to show tomorrow night. Ha

well good then there several that will know if they are worth buying, I kind of figured out long a go that were really not reinventing the wheel and if those that came before us could have left detailed drawings be hind some of the greatness could have continued with duplication, copying someone is said to be the greatest for of flattery, so if what you bought can help someone else decide that it is a starting point and improve upon it then the continuum continues and the leather are will still live on.  Whew ee that was a hole lot of BS

Great! I've been thinking of getting some of theirs. The only laser cut template I own is a custom one from Makesupply and I love it. 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:02 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

Well now you cant stop there, you have to give it up on what ya bought and if there aint no phots it didn't happen!

Ok. I accidentally buried a few stitches. The outer layer is 4oz cxl brown. The inner layer is 4oz burgundy cxl. It doesn't really show the contrast I was shooting for. Thread is tiger .8mm cream.

The thread just jumped down into that brown and disappeared. 

KIMG0467-2080x1170-1040x585.thumb.JPG.d46e30c4c996605fa4133af065a01530.JPG

Also, the new pony didn't play nice with the horse hide. (Always cover your jaws, dummy).

Here is the back side. The loop casting really helped.

KIMG0469-2080x1170.thumb.JPG.c3f71cbc9575a156006cc536075afcdd.JPG

Hopefully, a little wear and tear in my pocket will make it all blend together. The whole thing is a little rough, I know. I haven't worked with the cxl much yet. I'm finding it a little unforgiving.

As far as the template goes, it was spot on. There is a tiny burr from the laser that can be sanded off. They send instructions with the templates for that.

The other cool thing (for me anyway) was I got to put my French model knipknife thru some paces. Man, that thing is a dream.

Edited by bikermutt07

Good to know, thanks

Thanks.

I dig your hammer, I dont haveone that style, yet.

Thanks. It came in a lot I got from a fella just getting out of the pokey. He sold me a bunch of stuff really cheap. It was a real blessing.

I love Black River Laser! I think I own almost all of their patterns. Joyce is a wonderful person! She has made some custom stamps for me as well. Nice job on the wallet!

I just ordered three template sets from them, should be here in about a week!

OK pretty noob when it comes to anything more complicated than wallets and small items but my stitching has gotten better. I have to ask though-- what is loop casting??

Good job OP on your first go with the templates! Have had many BRL in my watch list and haven't yet bought any. Methinks it's time :)

10 minutes ago, mayorblurps said:

OK pretty noob when it comes to anything more complicated than wallets and small items but my stitching has gotten better. I have to ask though-- what is loop casting??

Good job OP on your first go with the templates! Have had many BRL in my watch list and haven't yet bought any. Methinks it's time :)

It will be much easier for you to see then me explain.... 

Check out Ian Atkinson's video on improving your saddle stitch. I think it's about 12 minutes long.

I'm not even sure I could explain it, bit once you get it down it's very easy to do.

Ok I'll try. 

Put your front stitch in from the top of the hole, keep it there.

Put your back stitch in from the bottom of the hole, keep it there.

Pull your slack almost to the stitch. Leave about 2 or 3 inches left.

Now take your front side needle (that is poking out the backside) and run it underneath the back stitch. 

Now pull the slack out to finish the stitch.

This will make the backside zigzag similar to the front side.

They have some outstanding pattern/templates

I just bought several BRL templates as well.  Love the ease of use, love the quality (I got a free gift too, how cool is that).  I do have some problem with how close the hole guides are to the edge of the piece, but I am still figuring it out.