Looking for the best all around liner for rifle case/shotgun case and saddle scabbards.

I am new to this, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

For anything but a saddle scabbard, . . . I like suede, . . . 

Would not line a saddle scabbard.  Too much traffic in and out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Do you put any padding in there with the suede?  Most rifle scabbards I see are nylon with a pad and a nylon liner.... been wanting to do a leather version myself, but had no idea what to put on the inside...

YinTx

No, YinTx, . . . when I do a rifle scabbard, . . . I simply line it with suede, . . . contact cemented to the exterior.  It IS THE padding.

I personally don't like those nylon padded gun bags, . . . prefer a canvas one with no liner if I'm not going with leather.

Our veteran honor guard used to have canvas bags with sheep wool liners, . . . hated them, . . . couldn't keep zippers in em.

May God bless,

Dwight

A friend of my son's wants me to make a saddle scabbard for a standard 30/30 carbine, but he wants me to use a deerskin as liner.

I've read that a deerskin as a liner can damage the weapon if chrome tanned.

Dwight..thank you for your input. I was thinking of using suede.

The chrome tanned story is pretty far blown out of proportion.  From what I've been able to understand it's more or less an old wive's tale, . . . maybe some fact somewhere, . . . but nothing to get real uptight about.

A very reputable holster maker wrapped a mild steel rod in a piece of chrome tanned suede, . . . stuck it in a personal locker for several months, . . . pulled it out, . . . nothing, nada, nein:  no corrosion or rust.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Got the deerskin???  Do it, . . . and have fun.  I only like suede better because it is a bit thicker usually, . . . and might in some rare case be a tad more of a cushion if the weapon got dropped on concrete or something.  Plus, . . . all things considered, . . . suede can be an inexpensive liner.

May God bless,

Dwight

It will take the blueing off it's not about rust.You need moisture & oxygen to create rust.Chrome tanning is a chemical process, even a re tan latigo should not be used for a scabbard if the the rifle will be stored in the scabbard for a extended period of time.

That may be true, Ken, . . . but who puts a rifle in a leather scabbard and leaves it for any length of time other than on the horse??

I don't know anyone who does / did / or plans on it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Not going to beat a dead horse I read the part about chrome tan causing rust as a reason to not to use it for liners,I simply said it does not cause rust it eats at the blueing a  chemical reaction to the chrome tanning solution.I got this info from a saddlemaker who has 30 years more than my 20 years as a saddlemaker & leatherworker.

Regards ,  Ken

With respect chaps; perhaps someone should do a test?

Perhaps it was the case in the past chrome tan damaged guns, but perhaps modern chrome tan is better, doesn't leech and doesn't affect the guns. Only way to be sure either way is to do a  test or two.

#PS; I thought suede was chrome tanned

You can get both chrome & veg tan suede. The veg tan is sometimes called a "split" in those cases. 

I have had a stainless steel knife - Pakistani - that was in a chrome tanned sheath (probably also Pakistani) in the trunk of my car in FL. After less than a year, the sheath had reacted with the stainless steel and caused corrosion. 

This is an unknown "stainless" alloy from Pakistan, so I can't confirm the metallurgy, but that is my experience with chrome tan and steel. 

My general take is that if you intend to store metal in it for extended periods, don't use chrome tan. If it's temporary transport, it should be OK unless there is a large amount of moisture involved.

These are the key ingredients in chrome tan.....Chromium Sulphate......Magnesium Oxide had to learn this stuff to pass the Saddlemaker leatherworker course I took in /99,this may help anyone who might be interested.

Cheers Ken

Well, I suppose until I figure it out for sure, I'll use veg tan split for the lining.   I'd hate to sell one, and have someone come back on me saying they had stored their precious for the season, and bad news when they pulled it out again next season.

I had debated using sheep wool, or hair on hide sheep.  Anyone have thoughts on that?  I suppose could be cost prohibitive on a rifle case, but maybe ok for a pistol case?

YinTx

On 4/9/2017 at 5:09 AM, Dwight said:

No, YinTx, . . . when I do a rifle scabbard, . . . I simply line it with suede, . . . contact cemented to the exterior.  It IS THE padding.

I personally don't like those nylon padded gun bags, . . . prefer a canvas one with no liner if I'm not going with leather.

Our veteran honor guard used to have canvas bags with sheep wool liners, . . . hated them, . . . couldn't keep zippers in em.

May God bless,

Dwight

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

Well, I suppose until I figure it out for sure, I'll use veg tan split for the lining.   I'd hate to sell one, and have someone come back on me saying they had stored their precious for the season, and bad news when they pulled it out again next season.

I had debated using sheep wool, or hair on hide sheep.  Anyone have thoughts on that?  I suppose could be cost prohibitive on a rifle case, but maybe ok for a pistol case?

YinTx

Save Dwight some of his typing time.lol It be a pain to sew wouldn't It? 

Edited by Mattsbagger

Actually the suede liner or the wool liner are not that bad to sew.

I use my Tippmann Boss, . . . so I can see exactly where, . . . and put it exactly where I want it, . . . 

AND when sewing the outer shell to the liner, . . . in between the two, . . . is the zipper, which has to be sewn in anyway, . . . 

Kills two birds with one stone, . . . sews in liner, . . . adds the zipper.

May God bless,

Dwight

I know this is an older thread. But would it be possible to put something like PPS foam (stuff used in boxing gloves) in between the liner and outer shell for more protection?