Boriqua

Price check on Ax/hatchet cover

Beautiful Cover Josh !!

This guys wants everything BLACK. Ugh .. I have 15 colors of dye out there and I get .. can you do it in black!  :)

Like I said though .. guy has been around buying stuff for years from me.

I dig sometimes taking stuff in trade ... I just started on a qt bottle of apple whiskey that was a thank you from a happy client. Pretty damn tasty stuff.

I generally don't do these, but I been known to make small projects of this type from the scrap bin.  If it's during a slower time, then it may go for a sandwich from your restaurant or some appropriate bait when I see you at the fishin' hole.  During busier times, folks generally understand that you either 1.) wait until the slower times, or 2.) pay the rate I would be making on the project you're taking me away from.

16 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

I generally don't do these, but I been known to make small projects of this type from the scrap bin.  If it's during a slower time, then it may go for a sandwich from your restaurant or some appropriate bait when I see you at the fishin' hole.  During busier times, folks generally understand that you either 1.) wait until the slower times, or 2.) pay the rate I would be making on the project you're taking me away from.

#2 That is a great way to put it.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

#2 That is a great way to put it.

I thought exactly the same thing!

You know?.....

On another note, two of my small business friends have explained to me the way they have to make their living.

One is a plumber (one man show)

The other is an ac\appliance technician (1 to 2) employees.

Both have to have to be licensed and carry a million dollar policy. They both also have to do continuing education.

They have both been in business for over 10 years and have had their perspective lumps.

Both have claimed to me (on separate occasions) that they need $100.00 an hour to keep their business afloat.

Just something to think about.....

Most service guys do take the hourly approach plus primary material usage. 

So $100 and hour plus primary material used, such as pipe, wire, etc. The $100 an hour covers time, fuel, small parts, tools, wear and tear, utilities, billing and customer service time, taxes, etc, etc, etc. This is a dead simple way of pricing your business but it takes quite a bit of time to figure out average costs to utilize the simple hourly billing approached. 

This is why I do most things myself ... I'm not paying ANYbody $100/hour, just because "they're a business".  

That guy came to "estimate" my new sidewalk said $2800.  Since I know that's $700 worth of concrete, and can easily be done by two guys in 3 hours (I've done it alone, so I know two guys is more than enough) -  I told him to get off my lawn. :rofl:

Other guy said he'd bring me a load of black dirt for $50 for the dirt + $50 for the hauling, which I thought was fair.  But I'm not paying him $50 to spread it, when he's going to pay some poor sucker $10 to do it, while he takes the rest.  Naw.. thanks anyway,buddy... I'll take care of it myself, and give the $50 to the guy who's ACTUALLY DOING the work.

In fact, usually works out where me and the guy on about "being a business" don't even up talking much at all :whistle: Strange how people convince themselves that it's my responsibility to pay their overhead... 

But, this was about hatchets, 'n' stuff ...

31 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

This is why I do most things myself ... I'm not paying ANYbody $100/hour, just because "they're a business".  

That guy came to "estimate" my new sidewalk said $2800.  Since I know that's $700 worth of concrete, and can easily be done by two guys in 3 hours (I've done it alone, so I know two guys is more than enough) -  I told him to get off my lawn. :rofl:

Other guy said he'd bring me a load of black dirt for $50 for the dirt + $50 for the hauling, which I thought was fair.  But I'm not paying him $50 to spread it, when he's going to pay some poor sucker $10 to do it, while he takes the rest.  Naw.. thanks anyway,buddy... I'll take care of it myself, and give the $50 to the guy who's ACTUALLY DOING the work.

In fact, usually works out where me and the guy on about "being a business" don't even up talking much at all :whistle: Strange how people convince themselves that it's my responsibility to pay their overhead... 

But, this was about hatchets, 'n' stuff ...

Hold on a minute.....

Didn't you just have a post about someone paying you for the time you were losing that you could be making money on a different project?

What if the cement guy had two small jobs scheduled for one day (your sidewalk being one) and had to put off pouring that whole driveway that pays good until tomorrow?

Shouldn't you be paying the rate he could be making elsewhere? The road travels both ways, my friend.

5 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Shouldn't you be paying the rate he could be making elsewhere?

The RATE is fine, but the RATE is not the AMOUNT -- the 2800 sq ft pour doesn't pay the same as the 28,000 sq ft pour.  I don't charge someone $5,000 for a hatchet cover because I could be making saddles.  That guy should have remembered I was talking about a sidewalk, not a parking garage ;)

I wanted about a ton of good clean black dirt to raise a spot and level another spot.  This requires having the dirt, and a shovel, and a wheel barrow isn't required but would be helpful.  There is no speech 'fancy' enough to tell me that something any 6th grader can do in half an hour is worth the $50 he wanted.  And if it WAS, I prefer to give the $50 to the 6th grader who actually did it.

In the case of the sidewalk, the $700 cost of the concrete includes materials and delivery.  Permit is $35, but I already had that.  So, I'm not paying HIM $2100 so he can give two guys $50 each and pocket the rest.  Just not smart.  Plus, that's nothing more than a low-grade scam (couldn't' come up with anything unique).  I'd much rather just call those same boys myself, tell 'em show up on their day off and put my sidewalk in.. and hand 'em $200 apiece, each.  Pay for the concrete delivery, and leave the other $1700 in my pocket?!@!  They're happy, I'm happy, and the only guy not "happy" is the guy who thinks he should get money "just because".  I do not reward people for being lazy (they probably come up with other names for NOT doing what they are charging for).

But, I got no problem doing it myself.  BUT, I also have no problem with the next guy doing it HIMSELF as well.  In fact, I might just GIVE him a pattern to do it with.  In some cases, I've even sent them the leather and told 'em 'merry christmas' and have fun.  

IN short, asking to be paid for what I do is not the same as expecting to be paid for what I DON"T DO.  

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

The RATE is fine, but the RATE is not the AMOUNT -- the 2800 sq ft pour doesn't pay the same as the 28,000 sq ft pour.  I don't charge someone $5,000 for a hatchet cover because I could be making saddles.  That guy should have remembered I was talking about a sidewalk, not a parking garage ;)

I wanted about a ton of good clean black dirt to raise a spot and level another spot.  This requires having the dirt, and a shovel, and a wheel barrow isn't required but would be helpful.  There is no speech 'fancy' enough to tell me that something any 6th grader can do in half an hour is worth the $50 he wanted.  And if it WAS, I prefer to give the $50 to the 6th grader who actually did it.

In the case of the sidewalk, the $700 cost of the concrete includes materials and delivery.  Permit is $35, but I already had that.  So, I'm not paying HIM $2100 so he can give two guys $50 each and pocket the rest.  Just not smart.  Plus, that's nothing more than a low-grade scam (couldn't' come up with anything unique).  I'd much rather just call those same boys myself, tell 'em show up on their day off and put my sidewalk in.. and hand 'em $200 apiece, each.  Pay for the concrete delivery, and leave the other $1700 in my pocket?!@!  They're happy, I'm happy, and the only guy not "happy" is the guy who thinks he should get money "just because".  I do not reward people for being lazy (they probably come up with other names for NOT doing what they are charging for).

But, I got no problem doing it myself.  BUT, I also have no problem with the next guy doing it HIMSELF as well.  In fact, I might just GIVE him a pattern to do it with.  In some cases, I've even sent them the leather and told 'em 'merry christmas' and have fun.  

IN short, asking to be paid for what I do is not the same as expecting to be paid for what I DON"T DO.  

I too, have experienced your generosity. 

But let's look at the other side of this for just a minute.

Say you pay the two guys the 200.00 to work on your property. One of them slips and falls and breaks a leg. Far reaching I know, but strange things happen. Now this poor guy has 200 bucks, but can't go back to work for 8 weeks. He has medical bills and lost wages. Who will his lawyer be looking at?

One of the reasons businesses are called is so homeowners can stay out of insurance and lawsuit messes, and have someone take responsibility for getting the job done in a timely manner.

You pay everyone's overhead anytime you make a transaction. That is business. Walmart has insurance, electricity, shipping costs, etc. So does the gas station and the restaurant and the contractor.

We all have to make a living. I have heard your story about the contractor in the new truck. And while agree with your stance on not paying for his truck, you might think about what people don't know. 

The average consumer doesn't realize they are paying for that truck like you and I do. They see a level of achievement in that truck. It's just the way people are who aren't construction savvy think. And people who know nothing about construction are usually the ones with the money.

If they see an old beat up clunker, they automatically think the fellow driving it hasn't made any success. This can be overcome during the pitch, but the first impression has already been given. 

Sorry for the hijack, and even if we disagree, I still love ya, Jeff.

2 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Now this poor guy has 200 bucks, but can't go back to work for 8 weeks. He has medical bills and lost wages.

I deleted a way-too-long response ;)  No matter to me what a guy charges or why -- guy just tell me the price and I'll pay it or I won't.

More important, though.. any call for a cobra burnisher around here?  I'm buying a lathe and don't imagine I will be needing both.  Hardly used -- still on the original sanding sleeve.  If picking up, come get it all.  If you want it shipped, it won't come with the stand (seriously, the "stand" is a piece of pipe :rofl: ).

CC to the FS area ...

Hey Jeff, I'd might be interested in your burnisher.

Come on over... just call early enough so I know to get coffee or beer ;)

I'll PM ya

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

No matter to me what a guy charges or why -- guy just tell me the price and I'll pay it or I won't.

At the end of the day there are only 2 prices

1) What the customer is willing to pay

2) What you are willing to make the item for

Everything else is window dressing. I don't care if you spent 30 years perfecting your craft (honorable as it is) either you have perfected it to the point that I am willing to pay $xx.xx above the walmart price or you haven't

That said: Boriqua your stuff is seriously under-priced IMHO