cjartist

Suminagashi Marbling

So I was inspired by StormCrow's post about making a splattered wallet, to try out some marbling.

So these were just some scrap pieces I had lying about.  Full of scars and blemishes.  I experimented with some suminagashi inks.  I sealed them with super shene because it seems to make the color more vibrant.  The blue green one on the right is only half covered with supershene (not sure if you can notice in these pics).  The yellow and purple one was an oops because I actually dyed the wrong side of the leather. LOL

I think there is a lot of potential here.  I did a tiny bit of stamping and carving on the left hand one to see if it would screw it up in any way.  Took the tools just fine although it is only 3 to 4 ounce leather.

Marbling1.jpg

Marbling2.jpg

Super cool looking!

Thanks BattleMunky.  I think I am going to try and make a simple wallet using this technique.  I think it should be an interesting look.

These look much better.

I made some more today and began working on a simple wallet.  I'll throw up pics of that once It's done.  I have never perfected my stitching and prefer to lace.  So, I decided to put these pieces for sale in my Etsy shop for those that are better at making smalls than I am :)

OrangeBlue2.jpg

YellowGreen1.jpg

You used suminagashi inks? Have you noticed any bleeding or rub off or anything?

I'm curious how leather dye will work in place of suminagashi inks. I'll have to try it. Did you do anything to prepare the water? I know you don't do anything Hing to the water with suminagashi but you do with European marbling. Just curious about the process. Looks super cool 

I tried fiebings leather dye first.  Seems like it should have worked because it is alcohol based, but it didn't work for me.  So yes, I used suminagshi inks on top of straight water.  I have not experienced any rub off, but I have found is that using oil after these inks is not good.  It tends to fade the color.  Sealing it with resolene or super shene works quite well though.  It really is a fun little project.

Awesome thanks. One more question. How did you float the inks? With a brush or dropper or something else?

I bought some sumi brushes and used those.  Just need a brush that holds a good deal of ink.  Having the pointed tip like the Asian ones do, helps also.

Ah I see. I'll definitely have to try this thanks for the info

Sweet. Looks good to me. And there's nothing g else out there like it. 

Thanks Stetson.  The front of it was where I tried some oil and it came out a little faded.  Resolene is definitely the way to go with these inks.

Yeah, pretty cool. I think it is a great start, now you have to find a way to sharpen it. I think it is quite awesome, don't get me wrong, but the slanty side looks a bit muddy. I hate to mention it up because I have zero ideas on how to help fix it.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Yeah, pretty cool. I think it is a great start, now you have to find a way to sharpen it. I think it is quite awesome, don't get me wrong, but the slanty side looks a bit muddy. I hate to mention it up because I have zero ideas on how to help fix it.

I agree.  That slanted side was a little more vibrant before I used a bit of neatsfoot oil on it.

I like this. I'm going to find some of that ink and give it go

12 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I like this. I'm going to find some of that ink and give it go

Cool. Please share some of your pics. :)

For those following this thread, I found a product that caught my attention. It's a marbling kit. Their website mentions it can be used on leather(they specialize in paints for fabric and paper) but it did mention leather. I ordered it and will do my best to capture the process and post pics of my failures and successes to see if this is also a viable option or not. 

The company name was Jacquard I believe. If anyone wants to look into them as well.

I am inspired by cjartist's results here and have to give it a go myself 

On 4/17/2017 at 4:19 PM, cjartist said:

I tried fiebings leather dye first.  Seems like it should have worked because it is alcohol based, but it didn't work for me.  So yes, I used suminagshi inks on top of straight water.  I have not experienced any rub off, but I have found is that using oil after these inks is not good.  It tends to fade the color.  Sealing it with resolene or super shene works quite well though.  It really is a fun little project.

Since oil floats, I will have to see if fiebings will work mixed with some oil. Did you mix it when you tried feibings?