ToddMaine

Wall hanging

My brother wanted 5 bar stools done. I dont have the time this spring and summer for that and I need to get a WHOLE lot better at carving before I take something like that on so I am making him this for his bar. I have several knives and they all needed sharpening so I gave that a shot. they are sharper but not as sharp as they should be. they dont cut smooth. I am happy with the scull but not at all happy with the floral work. It will do for this project. Just need more practice. I do have a question here and would like your opinions. Should I leave it with or without the oak leaves? Thanks.

20170423_052152.jpg

20170423_052453.jpg

Edited by ToddMaine

What leather are you using? I don't know much about carving. But I have read several times of hard spots in Tandy leather. And I have experienced it in cutting the Tandy stuff.

The skull looks awesome! I'm on the fence about the oak leaves. I like the skull without them but that's because it looks unfinished with just the two corners of oak leaves. Maybe if you did all 4 corners and framed the skull in oak leaves?

Otherwise I'd vote to leave them out. Just personal preference. It's for your brothers bar right? Maybe he has some input on what he would like?

What leather are you using? I don't know much about carving. But I have read several times of hard spots in Tandy leather. And I have experienced it in cutting the Tandy stuff.

It's a tandy dbl shoulder. That could be it but it's been through the whole thing. 

Edited by ToddMaine

The skull looks awesome! I'm on the fence about the oak leaves. I like the skull without them but that's because it looks unfinished with just the two corners of oak leaves. Maybe if you did all 4 corners and framed the skull in oak leaves?

Otherwise I'd vote to leave them out. Just personal preference. It's for your brothers bar right? Maybe he has some input on what he would like?

Thanks. He doesn't know about this so I can't ask. Thought about all 4 corners but didn't want to take away from the skull

Yea I didn't think of that. Hmmm, quite the dilemma haha.

Just to muddy the waters, I'm voting for the oak leaves. skull is cool looking by the way

Cool skull ! I like the leaves but maybe play with the size a bit. Just a little smaller and all 4 corners. Might frame it nice without over doing it.:dunno:

I personally think it would look better without the foliage around the skull, I think the skull would stand out better.  2 or 4 corners hard to say.  Carving looks good though.