SouthernCross

Lift the dot fasteners for holster?

I have a customer that wants the regular snap on his holster replaced with a lift the dot fastener. I can't tell from pictures which ones may be long enough to work with a leather holster. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I only need one - two if I mess up the first attempt. 

Well, you can get the whole snap set (4 pieces) or just the socket and stud. I think Springfield leather co sells both. But there may be other places to get them. 

If you buy just the socket and stud you would use line 24  post and cap that you already have this saving guesswork on the stud length you need. 

Hopefully this helps. 

The male part of a pull the dot snap is taller than a line 24, so the flat post does not work on it.  I use a 6/32 T nut and 6/32 machine screw of appropriate length.  A line 24 cap will work just fine for the female part, and that is what I use.  If you order the 4 piece set I would assume the flat post would be taller to work with the PTD snap.  DOT sells several lengths of posts, but you have to order larger quantities from them.  

I'm not sure the post end will work with leather used in a holster.  Those are for fabric.  The spikes on the male post have to go through your leather AND have enough material to fold through the washer to hold it in place.  If you are using 7, 8, 9 oz leather I'm not seeing those working well.  

This is what most of us use.  

http://springfieldleather.com/Snap-Pull-the-Dot-4pc-Set

That's what I was concerned about. 

The snap in your link is the same thing as a Line 24 snap, right?

yes what the chief showed is a line 24, but it has a notch that makes it a one way on and off, but chief hit the hammer with the nail!

yes what the chief showed is a line 24, but it has a notch that makes it a one way on and off, but chief hit the hammer with the nail!

So the one way part makes it easier to open?  That's what I'm looking for.  The one that is on the holster now is very difficult to open.

Just a thought, you might try lightly tapping a tapered tool into the female part of the existing snap. That will open it up just a bit and make it easier to open. That's what I have to do with Tandy's snaps. I use a drift punch of the right size. Anything you have on hand that is tapered will work.

So the one way part makes it easier to open?  That's what I'm looking for.  The one that is on the holster now is very difficult to open.

If you want easier you do not want pull the dot.  They only open one way and can be kind of tough to open.  If you want easy you want a line 24 snap.  If you can check his holster, the pull the dot snaps have a ring inside the female end and they have a flat lip in there too.  Line 24 is just round.  Figure out what he has first, then proceed.  

FWIW, I don't use line 24's on holsters (unless for thumb break) because I don't want easy to open.  Line 24's on IWB straps drove me nuts opening up all the time and pushed me to DOT snaps.  Any snap that bears weight on my holsters gets a DOT snap.