beltbuckles

few machines to choose from, which one would you pick

sewing fabric light to medium fabric (polyester, satin, suede) ect

here are some local options (i have a leather machine already) so this one is just for fabric stuff

any red flags for a particular model?

Pfaff 138-6/21
 Pfaff 438-6/01 900/51-BS,
 Pfaff 1445,
Pfaff 439,
 Singer 241-12
Singer 31-15 v

zigzag would be prefered so i guess a pfaff may be the winner ?!  

thankyou for any input / advice!!

The Pfaff 138 gets my vote. There's a detailed topic on that machine: 

I have a pfaff 138-6 and it is a Tailor's sewing machine.  It should come with lots of feet.  I have been looking for a wheel presser foot for light weight leather, but there, I have had no luck.

I like the pfaff 138.  There are 3 needle positions and max zig-zag width is about 5 mm and  max  stitch length is about the same... Will that suit what you want to do?

Cheers

Alex

I´d take the 138 too.

I once owned one - very smooth running machine when properly set up (as most other sewing machines too). It is more or less the forerunner of the 438. I´m not sure if it has a build it oil pup or if it is wick oiled (from a reservoir) most built in oil pumps work at high sewing speed only. Also the 438 has a timing belt which sooner or later needs to be replaced (maybe tomorrow - maybe in 5 years) and replacing these belts often is a pain ITA or cost some good money. The 138 has a drive shaft instead (is it called drive shaft?) which needs no replacement. The only known problem of the 138 is probably that the zigzag adjuster could be gummed but thats something you can solve with heat and oil w/o bigger problem. When your zig zag adjuster is not gummed - even better.

The 138 is well documented as well you find everything from manual to parts list and service instructions online. Though I have not checked for the 438.

However - If I had to choose I´d take the 138.

Edited by Constabulary

Another vote for the Pfaff 138-6..very solid machine.
I actually have ( amongst others ) a Singer 20U ( wanted it for the freehand embroidery potential due it's variable zig-zag ability ) and the larger zig zag ( 8 to 9mm bight )..now looking for a triple step zig-zag ( hoping to find a Bernina 217..rare now ) to supplement it.

"The 138 is well documented as well you find everything from manual to parts list and service instructions online."

Constabulary, you posted the above quote. I just became the owner of a PFAFF 138-6/21 BS machine. I have found an operators manual but no other written manual such as the service manual. Could you point me to a link to get one?  Thanks, Clem. 

On 5/14/2017 at 9:27 AM, Constabulary said:

and the adjustment manual:

Adjustment Manual-Pfaff-138.pdf

Thanks for the list of manuals. I now think that I should be able to get my PFAFF 138 running very well 

Pfaff 138-6 gets my vote too! I had one, but sold it. Regret that I had to sell it, but that was due to space. It was in the house. :( Not everyone loved it there as much as I did. LOL! Good luck, tell us what you end up with, please. 

On 5/14/2017 at 5:40 AM, Uwe said:

The Pfaff 138 gets my vote. There's a detailed topic on that machine: 

On 5/14/2017 at 5:58 AM, alexitbe said:

I have a pfaff 138-6 and it is a Tailor's sewing machine.  It should come with lots of feet.  I have been looking for a wheel presser foot for light weight leather, but there, I have had no luck.

I like the pfaff 138.  There are 3 needle positions and max zig-zag width is about 5 mm and  max  stitch length is about the same... Will that suit what you want to do?

Cheers

Alex

On 5/14/2017 at 6:23 AM, Constabulary said:

I´d take the 138 too.

I once owned one - very smooth running machine when properly set up (as most other sewing machines too). It is more or less the forerunner of the 438. I´m not sure if it has a build it oil pup or if it is wick oiled (from a reservoir) most built in oil pumps work at high sewing speed only. Also the 438 has a timing belt which sooner or later needs to be replaced (maybe tomorrow - maybe in 5 years) and replacing these belts often is a pain ITA or cost some good money. The 138 has a drive shaft instead (is it called drive shaft?) which needs no replacement. The only known problem of the 138 is probably that the zigzag adjuster could be gummed but thats something you can solve with heat and oil w/o bigger problem. When your zig zag adjuster is not gummed - even better.

The 138 is well documented as well you find everything from manual to parts list and service instructions online. Though I have not checked for the 438.

However - If I had to choose I´d take the 138.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:40 AM, mikesc said:

Another vote for the Pfaff 138-6..very solid machine.
I actually have ( amongst others ) a Singer 20U ( wanted it for the freehand embroidery potential due it's variable zig-zag ability ) and the larger zig zag ( 8 to 9mm bight )..now looking for a triple step zig-zag ( hoping to find a Bernina 217..rare now ) to supplement it.

sooo............i got a few of them... "bulk deal" and i did get the 138  (along with a 335 and 2 adler 69's... some parts are missing so now i am hunting them down.. the machine seems to be okay.. i am now ordering a foot and a needle set for the machine (138)  if it runs smooth, (or when i guess i should say), ill get a table and motor for it.. THANKYOU for your advice and kindness.. 

really quick, .. as far as needles go.. what size would be good to start with ?

and are parts interchange able with other brand machines (singer, ...ect..)

Edited by beltbuckles

Sounds like a good deal.

The 138 I´d start with a size 100 / 120 (metric) needle and the other with size 120 /140 needle (metric).

Singer parts will most likely not fit - maybe a few screws or springs but within a brand some parts are interchangeable since f.i. the 69 is using a lot of parts of the 67 /167 and the 335 parts of the 145 / 545 and so forth...

BTW - the 138 has gearboxes (usually 3  - 2 on connection shaft and 1 for hook driving) I´d clean them and fill with new grease

Edited by Constabulary